Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

964 rear light units

Vimal

Hi all

I have just bought some new rear light units for my car - 1991 MY C2. They are to replace the old units which have gone a little pink. The new units didn't come with rubber gaskets that go all the way around - only a rubber seal on the far edge of unit. The old units did have a gasket going all the way around - but I am not sure if that was original or not.

Does anyone know whether the seal is needed - there seem to be conflicting reports on this - some say that the seal was used up to 91 and not after.

Would be grateful for thoughts if anyone knows.

Thanks

Vimal

They are correct, Porsche didnt fit seals on later lights in the vain hope it would vent them easier and stop condensation....................how wrong they were

It was a good while ago, but I ordered a replacement light from Design911. Then had a bit of rant at them saying why have you not included the replacement seal, where is my seal!

They dully informed me that Porsche no longer provided a seal. Embarrassed "thank you" in response.

I seemed to recall that D911 indicated that you could still order a seal if you wanted one. Can't say I've had any problems.

Thanks both. What's the best option in that case - to go with seals or to install them without ? Surely without seals the connection between the loom and the light unit will get wet?

Have you put/got the vent pipe on them? This should trail off the rear fan downpipe like the dizzi vent pipe and supposedly vent air to stop the rear lights/reflector steaming up.

Thanks all - have installed then without seals. There are vent tubes for all three units. Interestingly the vent tubes were not included with the new side light units from porsche but I have re used the ones from the old units. Also - I thought that the new units would be a much deeper red than the old ones but the difference is less than expected. Marginal improvement only - so not as worth it as expected - but I suppose I have a very good set of spares if ever needed.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
midas
Back