Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Drive belt tensioner high pitch squeal

Geezer 911

Silverstone
Morning all,

Last October I noticed on a damp morning every time I reversed the car when coming out of my drive I cain hear an excruciating high pitch squeal which lasts for around 5 seconds and sounded like it was coming from drive belt area.

Before Xmas when I took my car to OPC to change my PDK fluid part of the service was to replace air filter and drive belt. When I picked up the car the advisor said the technician said at the the next service as I should consider replacing the the drive belt tensioner as is the where the issue is occuring but at the same token as the drive belt has just been replaced I shouldn't have this issue for a while.

The squealing has now started happening everyday this week. For anyone else that had experienced this how long did you wait before you replace the part? As mentioned the noise lasts for seconds but at the same time I do not want to knowingly damage the engine etc.

Cheers

If the bearing is failing, you should get it replaced asap... only bad things can happen by leaving it in my experience. Not sure why they would send you away with a known dodgy tensioner bearing.
I would get the belt taken off the tensioner and the tensioners current state closely examined.

Is your car a Gen 1 or 2?

There is a thread on here that describes a common problem with the Gen 2 drive belt tensioner and whats involved with its replacement.

@Geezer 911

I'm guessing your car is 997 Gen2 because of the PDK fluid change.

This is the link to deMorts posting regarding Aux belt tensioner failure.
My own postings are here too.

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=132158

My car is a 40,000 mile, 2008 registered Gen2 ( a very early one then ) and it had a failed tensioner arm and hydraulic tensioner but an OK tensioning roller. It had an original tensioner arm and was replaced by an updated part with a newer part number. I had the whole lot replaced, bolts as well.

Regarding squealing at start up, I noticed it for a second or so a couple of times which led me to check the assembly as per deMorts guide.

I'm guessing earlier models like mine are more prone because I guess newer Gen2s had the modified tensioner arm fitted during manufacture.

As @darkhorse says, check it asap.

As already mentioned above then get it checked please.

These cars basically don't squeal .. a partially seized tensioner could allow slack in the belt which could cause this .. i would seriously expect the OPC would have seen if there was an issue with the tensioner as these either need replacing or don't ( its either free moving or it isn't ) .. to say there is an issue but then not change it .. hmm

I really don't get that part to be honest .

Info is all in the link .

darkhorse :thumb:

Evening

I took car to an Indy this morning and they had ordered in a tensioner ready. The screeching was evident to them, the guys said the tensioner was mildly loose and tightned it up then waited for car to go cold and see if it made a difference. It appears the issue has been remedied without needing to be replaced. The Indy said they will hold onto the parts for a week in case it comes back and will replace, but as it stands every thing looks and sounds fine.

I can't say for certain but how did the tensioner come loose .. as it can't on its own .

If seized then it can as it doesn't move on the pivot but moves the bolt instead .. the simple check is a 30 mm spanner on the tensioner and move it .. if it springs back then its fine .

Not quite happy with the response you have had but unsure if its ok or not as i cant see it .. sigh .

I would be happier if they had done the above so perhaps just confirm with them that it moves freely and springs back once slackened ..

That way i'll sleep better at night .

ref post as previously mentioned ..

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=132158&highlight=tensioner

I have no problem being wrong .. as i'd far rather be wrong than right after something happens .

Thanks for the note Iain. It's a fair point.

I'm going to call them tomorrow and ask them these points.

Tensioner

Had a look at my Gen 2 belt tensioner today. It was stiff to move, not springing back & the torx bolt moving with it.
Managed to loosen torx bolt & lubricate, but when tightening back up it's still not springing back properly.
Are they worth stiping down to fettle or am I better fitting a new one .?
Cheers

This is a quote from previous questions about this, personally I would replace:-

P9XX said:
Checked mine after visit to Precision Porsche last Saturday.

Unfortunately, turning the 30 mm hex clockwise, the pivot bolt turned as well.
Therefore seized but not broken yet.
The tensioner had to be turned back with the spanner, it should spring back.

My car is 2008, 40,000 miles.

My local indie has seen several instances of completely snapped off tensioners.
Bolt No. 4 in the parts diagram snaps behind the tensioner.
Worst case, the whole water pump and housing to which the tensioner lever is attached has to be replaced, due to damaged threads.

New tensioner to be fitted next week.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alanjf
Back