Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Aaarrrggghhhh!! Found a new leak!!!!

Stoddy

Spa-Francorchamps
Howdy,

OK, nearly fed up with fettling my motor now.
Top mounts and shocks being replaced due to corrosion on the top collar, allowing the shock to slip upwards on one side.

Now found another leak as condensation wasn't going after repairing the drivers door seal.
I poured some water down all the sunroof drains, and this happened! Yet, water still appeared to drain out in all the right places.
Am I missing something?

Hope someone can help?

Cheers,

Stoddy :dont know:

Attachments

• 0c9251dd_a3ad_4440_ba76_c655ec747b34_199.jpeg
    0c9251dd_a3ad_4440_ba76_c655ec747b34_199.jpeg
    119.8 KB · Views: 2,255
And here!

Attachments

• bb37a19c_9943_4c17_b451_05def0f471f0_163.jpeg
    bb37a19c_9943_4c17_b451_05def0f471f0_163.jpeg
    117.8 KB · Views: 2,253
Looks to me as both rear sunroof drains have come adrift. No idea how to fix it, sorry! :dont know: Cue DeMort I think!

Loose drains may also explain the rattle you've reported previously... maybe an opportunity to kill two birds with one stone by taking the headlining off and having a look at what's adrift.

Anyway, hope you get the car sorted after this tricky honeymoon period!

Thanks man,

I actually went ahead and took the headlining off the back and found both drain fixings well and truly in place. I then repeated the water pour and realised I was pouring way too much in and it was going over the drains and in to the car!!
I guess they're only meant to deal with the tiniest trickle, as if it was pouring with rain, you wouldn't have the sunroof open! :floor: so the sunroof seal itself, will only let a tiny bit in. Maybe that needs replacing?
As you say, when in there, I found a piece of black trim that runs from one side to the other of the back of the sunroof panel. It was very slack and rattles agains the sunroof panel it's self, so, some single sided foam added to said panel and.............fingers crossed!
The door seal however seems to still leak, as the carpet just doesn't want to dry out, I guess I can test this by removing the inner panel and pouring water against the glass and watching the bottom of the door.

OR I COULD JUST MOVE TO A DRYER BLOODY COUNTRY!!!!!!! Sick of this rain now.

Still don't know how the rear carpet is still damp?

Thanks for the info.

Stodd :thumbs: :dont know:

:floor:

Do 997s have the same leaky door membranes as 996s?

Robertb said:

Never had a single leak in my 996. :sad:

Stoddy said:
Robertb said:

Never had a single leak in my 996. :sad:

Me neither, in either of my 4Ss...

Oh Dear .. i thought it would be a while until i was answering another post from you :(

Ok .. shocks first .. get .. i assume you have ? your garage to have a good look at the suspension and prove it needs new front shocks , mounts etc ..

The car seems to have no problems and is in spec on a geo .. i don't like money being spent when its not needed to be honest ... advice from your garage to say there is a fault which will cause a problem basically .

Your leak is a little unusual .. i would guess you poured rather a lot of water in there .. the sunroof seal stops most water ingress so these are not designed to handle large volumes of water .

It seems to be you may have a partial blockage of the rear drains ..

If i had the car .. i would remove the drain tube .. stick an airline down it to blow it out ... a partial blockage i think .

I would then tell you to stop pouring water down it !!!

Sometimes honesty is the best policy .. this i surmise is one of them .

lets just say i have never seen a wet head lining before like this ... 15 years so i pre date this model ... just about ;)

The rear carpet you have a red circle around .. if you lift this in the center you can pull it out to check for water in that area .. long term leak and there will be a puddle of water under the dme ( engine control unit ) .. lift the carpets at the back .. just behind the rear seat base .. is it damp ?

If not then the leak is minor .

I get the feeling we might need to chat on the phone .. happy to oblige , ill pm my number if you want .

Do you definitely need new shocks? My '03 4Ss shocks were recently given a clean bill of health by Center Gravity's test rig at 116k miles, last a lot better than many think apparently.

Robertb said:
Do you definitely need new shocks? My '03 4Ss shocks were recently given a clean bill of health by Center Gravity's test rig at 116k miles, last a lot better than many think apparently.

I'm beginning to wonder. I'll try and speak to them
in the morning,

Thanks! :thumbs:

They all rust at the top, and most mot places would mark it as an Advisory, however it is not unsafe and they do not need to be replaced. This section of the piston cannot possibly ever contact the shock body. It sounds like you are not using a company familiar with Porsche's?

THE DUKE is at Centre Gravity, already identified a bent top mount, full inspection to be done of course but a good start!
Thanks for all the messages.

Stoddy. :thumbs:

Excellent! I bet you'll be surprised when you see their geo read-out of your car.

Centre Gravity are awesome. Car feels 100% planted now.
The guys there are super friendly and enthusiastic, but above all, their knowledge is unbelievable.
The car felt a bit twitchy when I got it, under steering and a couple of intermittent rattles, nothing that made it bad to drive, but lacked something that my 996 had.
After Pete at CG got his hands on it, the car was transformed in to a weapon!

New Eibach Lowering Springs, new lower ball joint, new top mounts, bearings and stoppers, toe arm, and a pair of front discs ( the car came with skimmed discs which were below the minimum thickness recommended but looked new to me!) Bit naughty of the garage that one.

Anyway, I've done a couple of runs up my favourite road, ie, driven from South Wales to Manchester via the A470 a couple of times and it's just amazing!

Can't wait for my sports exhaust, new speakers and Red centre console now!

I can't recommend CG enough.

Attachments

• e015c23c_7e04_4635_88c3_4f75d1a9eebd_206.jpeg
    e015c23c_7e04_4635_88c3_4f75d1a9eebd_206.jpeg
    378.2 KB · Views: 1,244

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back