Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

what are these for?

omigod

Mooching around under the frunk today and found these unused connectors near the cabin filter area (passenger side of the battery). They're quite corroded so have not been used for a while but if somebody could identify them it would satisfy my curiosity.

Attachments

• temp_200107092402_539.jpg
    temp_200107092402_539.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 2,310
They don't look standard and are probably from some retro fitted tracker or something.

Almost certainly an old alarm or tracker. I've got a box with wires coming out of it in that area that needs to be investigated eventually.

Those are the wiring plugs for the factory fitted alarm tilt sensor and siren .

It was common for the tilt sensor to corrode on the wiring pins and give false alarm triggers , there is a mod whereby a new sensor is fitted under the passenger seat and the tilt sensor removed from next to the battery and binned .

I would hazard a guess that you have no siren just a horn for the alarm and the tilt sensor has been coded off .

Attachments

• s_l300_197.jpg
    s_l300_197.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 2,061
Yes there is no siren just the horn for the alarm - which goes off intermittantly as it pleases but that's a job for another day.

Thanks Demort!

Ok .. i would suggest you get the coding checked for the car as i suspect the tilt sensor and siren have been removed but not coded off .. lets just say ... i've seen it before !

Alarm coding and tilt sensor / alarm siren MUST be coded to not fitted .

When locking the car with the remote I get a single "beep" from the horn.
After having a few false alarm cycles I now lock it and let it arm then unlock it but don't open any doors, it re-locks after 30 seconds or so - I believe this leaves the alarm de-activated.

Last owner had it 100% garaged so probably left it unlocked

A single beep from the horn indicates the car is seeing a problem .. often the center console cubby lid is open .. in this case it is possible its to do with the missing tilt sensor and siren.

I would suggest .. get an Indy to check that the tilt sensor and siren are actually coded off to rule that out .. as this does cause random alarm triggers if removed but not coded off .

i would also get them to look at the alarm activation states and the alarm event memory .. one is what has caused the alarm to go off the last 10 times and one tells us what faults the car can see for the last 10 locking cycles .

It's a half hour labour charge so at my garage ( where i work and not own ) its circa £50 including vat .

That may be worth looking at Demort - my local indie is only 15 mins away.
Brighton is too far sadly....

omigod said:
That may be worth looking at Demort - my local indie is only 15 mins away.
Brighton is too far sadly....

Lol .. yup i looked where you live .. pretty much opposite ends of the country !

Get the garage to check it out .. i can always evaluate the report if needed but i suspect they will nail the fault .. we mechanics are all the same as far as i'm concerned .. we just don't all reply here :D

slightly off topic (ish)
i have had troubles with my alarm going off randomly, was told that its the alarm siren's internal battery failing, making it go off ..... this apparently can't be replaced/accessed so it requires a new alarm siren....seemed strange that the siren has its own battery?? can someone confirm that this is correct please...
i had a new (expensive) siren on order from porsche but now they can't supply!
as the corroded pins were mentioned above, which i had, and have since cleaned up in readiness for a new siren, I'm wondering if i just put the old siren back on now that the connections are all cleaned up and see if this was the issue? what do you guys reckon....??

Lj911 said:
slightly off topic (ish)
i have had troubles with my alarm going off randomly, was told that its the alarm siren's internal battery failing, making it go off ..... this apparently can't be replaced/accessed so it requires a new alarm siren....seemed strange that the siren has its own battery?? can someone confirm that this is correct please...
i had a new (expensive) siren on order from porsche but now they can't supply!
as the corroded pins were mentioned above, which i had, and have since cleaned up in readiness for a new siren, I'm wondering if i just put the old siren back on now that the connections are all cleaned up and see if this was the issue? what do you guys reckon....??

Corroded pins can cause issues .. clean or replace basically .

The siren has an internal battery .. it can't be replaced .. well not as standard .. it might be possible but as a rule its a single unit and is replaced as such .

To prove this is the fault .. code it off and unplug it .. although i will say i have seen a siren fault cause alarm triggers in the past on many models .

Lj911 said:
seemed strange that the siren has its own battery??

It's to prevent thieves silencing the alarm by simply disconnecting the car battery.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mint_Sauce
Back