Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

MOT Failure - anti roll dust covers

toddy2

Nurburgring
Hi All,

Arrgh MOT failure (again) couple of points this year:

-Front Anti-roll bar ball joint dust cover no longer prevents the ingress of dirt both sides X 2 (5.3.4 (b) (ii))
-Offside Drive shaft joint constant velocity boot split or insecure, no longer prevents the ingress of dirt (6.1.7 (g) (ii))

I've seen a few threads regarding the ball joint dust covers but can't really see anything recent on whether they are available separately for the 996 4S - any suggestions greatly appreciated, along with best place for the driveshaft velocity boot (I'll do the pair)?

You need a new link rod im afraid .. a split in a suspension ball joint item is a failure .

Boots on their own .. i don't think so and i wouldn't bother to be honest .. the downside .. these are often seized in place and the link rod needs cutting to get it off the car .

Cut the rod ball joint end to leave the 17mm nut then airgun the hell out of it .

CV gaiters .. you always do the pair as you remove both .

ECP for parts .

The ARB drop links are cheap from carparts4less (offer on this weekend funnily enough) or ECP. A mate did mine for me while I peered over his shoulder, looked easy to fit, but it was a pain as DeMort says to get the old one off... I seem to recall he used penetrating oil and tapped the bolt with a hammer and it pinged out.

Mine failed MOT on CV gaiters too... my indy fixed it, so no idea on the cost of parts or how to do it.

Thanks both, I start sourcing the parts. Just when I thought I was on top of the maintenance!
Cheers

Our work is never done... it's like painting the Forth Bridge!

I had to do a CV boot last year, ceased bolts being the worst bit.

Drop links are usually easy enough, unless the rear ones they're a pig to get to without a ratcheting spanner.

But all doable by a home mechanic.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Autocraft1
Back