Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

It''s 30 years to the day since..

Alex said:
kas750 said:
Pics please!

The car that is :wack: :mrgreen:

I never had any photos. My Spanish mate has one - he had an Alfa Sprint that had also been modified with no bumpers, fully coded, etc. in white. He has a snap of them both parked up together.

The only photo I can find online of something that looks pretty similar is this, although I had two big spotlights on the front and wider archs:

bc0b41dc179bcb9cfbae004d64deb03c_XL.jpg

and this:

alfa_romeo_alfasud_rally.jpg

My mate's looked like this but in white:

alfa-romeo-alfasud-sprint-13.jpg
Lovely cars but even back in the day it was hard to find one that wasn't rotten! :eek: :oops:

kas750 said:
Zorro said:
kas750 said:
I bought my first Porsche. :eek:ld: 😊

And I've barely been without one since and in the process I've met some of the nicest people.

I love the cars and I love the people.

Here's to the next 30! :thumbs:

But do you have the Porsche Club 30 year member badge as well?
I've been a member on and off for less than half of that.

In 1988 my PCGB membership number was 0104. When I rejoined in 2009 it was 60,000+. :eek:

kas750 said:
Lovely cars but even back in the day it was hard to find one that wasn't rotten! :eek: :oops:

My Dad had two when I was a kid and my Grandad had one as well, great cars.

Remember him selling his second one which he bought new (think it was a 1980 W) when it was 3 yrs old and it was riddled with rust, both front wings had holes in the tops of them etc. He had it rust treated/ unsealed etc the first week he owned it, certainly did not help :nooo:

Wow, 30 years of Porsche - congrats!!

This is my first year of Porsche ownership (after 45 years as a fan) and I'm loving every minute :thumbs:

Sometimes I wish I'd started my Porsche ownership earlier but then I enjoyed other cars along the way.

Thirty years ago, at 23, I was going through an 'Italian' phase and had an Alfasud 1.5Ti Green Cloverleaf, like this one (fantastic car):

Alfa-Romeo-Alfasud-1500-Ti-Green-Cloverleaf.jpg

and a Lancia Beta HPE, just like this (except that I'd fitted a modified exhaust to mine, with Ferrari-esque Ansa slash cut twin tail-pipes) - little boy-racer that I was :oops:

Lancia-Beta-HPE.jpg

I sold them both to buy to buy this beauty...

Lotus-Excel-SE-01.jpg

Happy days :D :D

911Time said:
Wow, 30 years of Porsche - congrats!!

This is my first year of Porsche ownership (after 45 years as a fan) and I'm loving every minute :thumbs:

Sometimes I wish I'd started my Porsche ownership earlier but then I enjoyed other cars along the way.

Thirty years ago, at 23, I was going through an 'Italian' phase and had an Alfasud 1.5Ti Green Cloverleaf, like this one (fantastic car):

Alfa-Romeo-Alfasud-1500-Ti-Green-Cloverleaf.jpg

and a Lancia Beta HPE, just like this (except that I'd fitted a modified exhaust to mine, with Ferrari-esque Ansa slash cut twin tail-pipes) - little boy-racer that I was :oops:

Lancia-Beta-HPE.jpg

I sold them both to buy to buy this beauty...

Lotus-Excel-SE-01.jpg

Happy days :D :D
Awesome car cv. :worship:

Lotus Excel SE, I had one of those as my first Lotus, same colour too with beige interior :grin:

My first cars....i went from minis to alfasuds had a cple, cracking little cars back in the day :thumbs: :thumbs:

Well done for the time you have had one on the go for, such a long time to stay with the brand, impressive. :thumb:

I'm just coming up to my first decade with Porsche. I couldn't afford a Porsche 30 years ago but I did have some ambition to recreate something that ticked some of the 911 boxes. This was the first bit of fabrication work I had ever took on and was a huge learning curve for me. Rover V8, Opel Commadore LSD rear axle and Targa roof.

yEnkDep.jpg

You can see from the sharks fin side skirt paint and Targa roof there was something of the 911 I had as a poster when I was in my teens.

KJVxYkG.jpg

aKaYckS.jpg

Although this ended up being a bit quicker than a 911 of its era and the only thing a 20 odd year old could race back then was motorbikes as most cars were eaten for breakfast.

It finished up VW Cadiz Orange after Red and its original colour, white.

H6Y7YiB.jpg

I also ran a Cal Look Turquoise Beetle at the same time but I can't find a picture of that currently.

kas750 said:
Awesome car cv. :worship:

Thanks kas750 :thumb:

Don't know if you feel the same but when I look back at the car's I've owned (and some of the iconic ones I drove whilst in the industry/motorsport) I realise just how good it was to be a petrol head growing up in the 70's and 80's.

Great times :thumb:

Kurlykris: The Excel SE was quite underrated really. It handled well and the chassis was more than capable of handling more power.

The interior was always a nice place to be but the inverted SD1 rear lights were a PITA when they filled with water, through what were originally the drain holes...

Infrasilver: Now that's a unique motor - looks like an Opel Manta 400 repro, with Revolution alloys etc but with a Rover V8 and targa roof? I bet there was a fair amount of chassis bracing to stop it folding in the middle...

Where was the show pic taken?

911Time said:
Infrasilver: Now that's a unique motor - looks like an Opel Manta 400 repro, with Revolution alloys etc but with a Rover V8 and targa roof? I bet there was a fair amount of chassis bracing to stop it folding in the middle...

Where was the show pic taken?

The chassis rails were beefed up and extended to past the rear seats, to help stop any flex but it did still flex a little if you had the roof off all day.

The original 1.6 steel block engine was the first engine I had ever taken out of a car so trying to fit a V8 in it's place was an experience although the all alloy Rover engine was lighter. It was not like nowadays with all the info of how to do a transplant at your fingertips, it was all trial and error. I first thought an Alfa twin cam engine would fit nicely, I'd seen one at a scrap yard but the day I went to collect it they had a Rover V8 just come in, it was going to be a tighter fit but I just had to have a V8.

The engine was modified with a hot cam, ported heads and wasted vales, Holley carb and a bottle on Nitrous in the boot.

The whole front end was fiberglass along with the boot lid so it worked out quite light. I had already fit the body kit when I decided to cut the roof with an angle grinder, if I'd got it wrong the shell would have been scrap.

I fitted the 400 body kit for looks originally and I first fitted Empi style 8 spokes but I realised they didn't quite fill the arches so I went for split rim Revolutions to my offsets. The front tyres were fairly normal 225 x 15 but the rears were 345 35 x 15 from a Lamborghini Countach, a friend who ran a part worn tyre shop could get them for me at £20 a tyre, they were brought over from Germany with around 3-4mm of tread let on them.

I used to race it in a series called Rover V8 Championship, drag racing, just for a bit of fun, I came 5th in my first season.

The show picture is from Billing Aquadrome, around 1991.

It was a fun car and you can imagine a 21 year old in something like this, the old XR3/Pug/Renault 5 brigade didn't know what had hit them.

Kudos Infrasilver - that's quite a project for a 21 year old and a lot of metal fabrication and welding! :thumb: :thumb:

We sound similar - from childhood I was into anything with wheels but my main interest was always more tuning & modifying than fabrication. Luckily, after coming top of my class in engineering, I got taken under the wing of a well connected mentor (like the old adage says, it's not always what you know...) and ended working up with Audi, just when the quattro was coming into its stride on the rally circuit.

The 80's were a fantastic time - each weekend I'd be at a rally, across at Donington, or with friends at a car show.

Every year we had a family holiday at Billing Aquadrome, which happened to coincide with the NSRA (National Street Rod Association) show and even when I was older I'd still try to get there and spent many happy hours there, or at Santa Pod.

In a strange twist of fate, years after I'd left the auto industry, I set up a design agency for branded merchandise and one of my first clients was Santa Pod - we produced the FIA baseball caps for the European Drag Racing Championship and a number of other caps for them too.

Seems like a lifetime ago now...

1967 (I think) LHD 911T that was imported to UK in 1983 and somehow got a Y Reg :dont know:

Drove like a pram, dodgy front spoiler, leaked a bit in the back seats but it cost me £1,300 in c1985. Oddly enough I sold it for a profit :roll:

7hGdMonm.jpg

19 years and 5 days since I got my first Porsche...and I still have it

Attachments

• e1d0b705_6acd_4ead_ae76_5ad64f237d3e_140.jpeg
    e1d0b705_6acd_4ead_ae76_5ad64f237d3e_140.jpeg
    931.1 KB · Views: 1,361
Zingari said:
1967 (I think) LHD 911T that was imported to UK in 1983 and somehow got a Y Reg :dont know:

Drove like a pram, dodgy front spoiler, leaked a bit in the back seats but it cost me £1,300 in c1985. Oddly enough I sold it for a profit :roll:

7hGdMonm.jpg

You could be let off for that Zingers as these were the days before the Colini stick was invented. :grin:

Reminds me of my first 911. Only 17 years ago now. Horrible old 70's mish mash. Drove like a boat. Almost enough to put me off the marque but I'm glad I stuck with it.

Great thread.

Congrats on being able to dip in and out of Porsche ownership for 30 years Ady. That's good going.
A 1985 944 in 1990 would have been pretty impressive. 8)

Kris I'm loving those dungarees. A blast from the past there. :grin: Nice Landy too.

Too many cool cars to mention. Chris Infra that's a great manta. Some daring mods there. :thumb:

I'd love to join in but in 1990 I was only 13, about to start high school.
Cars and girls occupied my thoughts, although I've had more luck with the cars. :grin:
(Ahem, current wife not withstanding of course. I'd better get that in there.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bristolsparks
Back