Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Swapping steering wheel

Brucey1

Silverstone
My car has the four spoke steering wheel I'm thinking of changing it for one of the more modern looking 3 spoke wheels .
Is it an easy enough job to change it over and would it trigger the air bag light ?
Thanks

Easy to change and if you disconnect the battery 30 minutes before you disconnect the airbag it won't trigger a light.

Key in position 1 before you disconnect battery otherwise it fires off the alarm.
Changed my 4 spoke to a 3. No issues

It triggered the air bag light on my 993 when I changed the wheel to a 996 type.

Does anyone know if the air bag wiring is compatible between the two wheels/models?

My service man suggested there could be a mismatch between the models when I asked if he could reset the light (didn't have the car with me at the time to try).

If you had the battery disconnected and swapped them over and then had the airbag light on .. with probably a fault code for drivers head airbag then i would guess the resistances of both airbags are different ... car thinks there is a problem as it's not the correct resistance .

Either that or its not fully plugged in .

I don't know the set resistances of each airbag unit but that is the logical conclusion as nothing else could have caused the light to come on .

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Timjar
Back