Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

DIY Tandem Pump Change

Thefinn said:
I still think you should be checking out the acp cover which replaces the flimsy tin one with a nice thick machined aluminium lid, negating the corrosion issue if there is no problem with the actual pump.

I am interested to see how your cover is doing mate ,I remember when you fitted it there was much debate as the previous maker of aftermarket covers had failed and the rotors in the pump were catching on the cover ,and it was agreed only time would tell if this had been correctly designed so its good to see yours is holding up well and means this could be suitable option for guys to consider. :thumb: :thumb:

Jam911 said:
I had some work done a few months ago and the indy said the pump was badly corroded...and yesterday i had to top up the oil for the first time.

I am not sure it is leaking but I am now monitoring ... no oil on garage floor at present so I am keeping everything crossed...

If it's not actually leaking then there's no point in replacing it.... get a good look at it, wire brush the cover, poke it with a screwdriver and if it's just rusty and a bit flaky (as they all are in the I'm) then get all the loose rust off and give it a coat of hammerite. It could last another 10 years...

I don't think you can buy the ACP covers anymore due to the issues that Phil mentioned, they certainly are not on their site.

I contacted pier berg directly about 6 months ago asking if the covers could be made available separately but they refused 🤪

If you really want to replace the cover you can buy used pumps direct from places like America that don't have any corrosion at all for significantly less than the cost of an acp cover (and that's of you can find one) , last one I saw was £100. Personally I would clean yours up and costar it then keep an eye on it :thumb:

Just thought to add that I suspect Hammerite in terms of it`s hammered enamel finishes was found by my less than expert processes to be less than ideal in keeping rust at bay, as the little indentations in the "hammered" finish seemed to be where rust would begin to appear in time..? However I found Smoothrite by the same company to be very good..Of course your results may vary.. :?:

Phil 997 said:
Thefinn said:
I still think you should be checking out the acp cover which replaces the flimsy tin one with a nice thick machined aluminium lid, negating the corrosion issue if there is no problem with the actual pump.

I am interested to see how your cover is doing mate ,I remember when you fitted it there was much debate as the previous maker of aftermarket covers had failed and the rotors in the pump were catching on the cover ,and it was agreed only time would tell if this had been correctly designed so its good to see yours is holding up well and means this could be suitable option for guys to consider. :thumb: :thumb:

My cover is fine no issues what so ever i even took it off my old car and put it on my current 997 with new fixings / seals and i have had no leaks or problems. I will add though i don't do massive millage in the porky so i have only tested it for around 5k miles but its been good up to now.

APC might be worth a ring as i do remember when i bought it that the website wasn't the best so they might just not be on there.

Crawled under the car today and had a good luck at the pump.

I did Hammerite it when it was fitted and the worst of the rust actually look like the Hammerite flaking off.

The main thing is the pump is dry.

(New daily is going to be an Evoque)

To be honest it doesn't sound like it needs changing atm .. it's a couple of mm of metal which due to our weather and gritting in winter will corrode .. salt is bad for metal .. surface corrosion .

When it does start to leak you will see damp spots on the casing... black round spots basically .

At this point it's time to start thinking about changing it .

If you want to change it now then that's fine .. piece of mind etc but i'm an advocate of if it aint broke then don't fix it .

997 as a daily .. its fine but as with any car there will be maintenance .

Some oil usage is normal .. to not use any in 2 years is a bit strange IMHO .

Frenchmeister said:
I changed my own when it went, you need to make sure you get a good fit socket to torx bolt to get them out, clean out all the debris, one of mine chewed up so it was sharp chisel time to get it moving.
Replace them with bolts or machine screws and lather the new unit with heavy grease to stop it corroding.
Crap design by Porsche as they never gave a thought to the environment it would be exposed to.
The Pierburg pump is fitted to loads of other vehicles, my BMW X3 2.0D being one of them, different pipe positions though but the same animal, mounted up top so does not get covered in salty grime so it lasts. :judge:

How did you manage to get at the top bolt's? Is this manageable without removing additional parts?

Top bolts depend on what tools you have .. 1/4 inch ratchet , long extension , flexi end ( U/J ) with a Torx on it will do ... maybe an adaptor to use a 3/8 ratchet .

If the bolts are seized then its a mission or if you can't get a good leverage on them then you need to remove the bumper and possibly the exhaust.

Only twice have i had to chisel them out .. x1 i had to smash the casing , remove the pump them mole grips on the bolt stud to get the remainder out .

Thats a full bumper and exhaust off job .

The majority will come out if you can get at them ...

I'm afraid i have a vast number of different tools that i would use in an attempt to undo them so it's a bit hard to explain but bumper off will certainly make life easier .

Thefinn said:
Phil 997 said:
Thefinn said:

My cover is fine no issues what so ever i even took it off my old car and put it on my current 997 with new fixings / seals and i have had no leaks or problems. I will add though i don't do massive millage in the porky so i have only tested it for around 5k miles but its been good up to now.

APC might be worth a ring as i do remember when i bought it that the website wasn't the best so they might just not be on there.

Thats really good to hear mate , means its an acceptable alternative for guys to consider ,or belt and braces to fit with a new pump. :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alanjf
Back