Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997.2 Brakes

SGH

Nurburgring
My discs have slight lip on the fronts and some corrosion to the inner surface of the rears and I have been getting some quotes. I guess I need Genuine Parts as under warranty and plan on renewing in two years time.

My question is do I need all these other parts other than just the discs and pads or am I getting quoted on £340.00+vat of parts not needed.

Front
1 x Brake pad fitting kit
1 x Brake pad sensor
4 x Brake pad damper plate
4 x Brake caliper bolt
4 x Brake disc screw

Rear
1 x Brake pad fitting kit
4 x Brake pad damper 30mm
4 x Brake pad damper 28mm
2 x Brake pad sensor
4 x Brake caliper bolt
4 x Brake disc screw

What's in the fitting kit? You have everything you need there apart from ceratec.

Do you not need 2x pad sensors for the front, or do they come in packs of two?

Looks like all you need is listed, apart from the discs and pads obviously. You do need two wear sensors per axle though, IIRC.

If you are a Porsche Club member, your OPC may give you a discount.

I didn't pay for any bolts when Porsche did mine. Was about £1100 each end. They discount parts a bit as these are in the older car bracket.

Magic919 said:
I didn't pay for any bolts when Porsche did mine. Was about £1100 each end. They discount parts a bit as these are in the older car bracket.

Ouch.

- Brembo or Bosch high carbon & coated discs £130 a pair (Autodoc - currently 26% discount)
- EBC Red Ceramic Pads - £90 per axle - absolutely love them for road use.

All items in the first post's list of parts can be reused unless the sensors have been worn through.

Really nice DIY job too.

Giff said:
Magic919 said:

Ouch.

- Brembo or Bosch high carbon & coated discs £130 a pair (Autodoc - currently 26% discount)
- EBC Red Ceramic Pads - £90 per axle - absolutely love them for road use.

All items in the first post's list of parts can be reused unless the sensors have been worn through.

Really nice DIY job too.

He has a Porsche warranty!

Missing 1 sensor on the front

You maybe able to reuse the sensors and shims, the sensors get hot, brittle and break, the shims weld themselves in the piston so sometimes cant be removed without damaging them, if you do reuse them you need to clean up the backs and glue/double side tape them onto the pads.

The pin kit should clean up and be able to be reused

That list is what Porsche OPC would do as they dont reuse, clean etc. They just replace

The shims and sensors can be found outside OPC for about half price, Porsche discs & pads can be found cheaper so ask for a discount!

OPC and Indy both come out just under £1900 and Indy only £55.00 cheaper than OPC.

I might be able to get 10% off OPC on parts as they have done this in the past.

I'd be surprised if an eagle eyed technician could spot non Porsche pads, shims and sensors... I'd chance it with carparts4less for those and go OPC on the discs.

Pads are the most likely thing to be spotted, shims and sensors no chance, discs maybe, depends on what you fit

SGH said:
OPC and Indy both come out just under £1900 and Indy only £55.00 cheaper than OPC.

I might be able to get 10% off OPC on parts as they have done this in the past.

At that difference it's a no-brainer to stick with the OPC doing the job. It wouldn't hurt to ask them if they would 'price match'.

There has been a discussion before about changing the caliper bolts. As they are NOT a stretch bolt they are only replaced as a precaution, I've always reused them and never had an issue, they are a pretty substantial bolt.

Sensors do tend to deteriorate and you have to be pretty good to get one out without damaging it, sensors are £7 each from Autodoc.
A set of OEM discs are £836.40 from Autodoc
Pads are £170 a set back/front.
So your roughly a grand for parts and the rest is profit and workshop time!

As for the warranty, how long have you got before it expires and are you going to renew it? If not fit OEM and save a grand.

Fitting discs and pads on a 911 is very straight forward, in fact easier than a Honda Jazz that I did for someone recently!

Genuine Porsche discs (x4) and Genuine Porsche pads (x2) are out there for a tad over £1100 delivered, from the UK

Porsche parts should be 10% off at OPC as the car is more than 4 years old.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back