Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

"ZanziCup" : From Sow's Ear to Silk Purse.

Thanks for all the kind comments guys :)

What's next ? Drive it !!

Then over the Winter some further fettling :

Replace the flexible supply/return coolant lines to the centre radiator.

Re-configure the wiring/install of the main/dip beam HID units.

Tweak the geo/ride heights.

Look into options for reinstating the air conditioning (using either a smaller engine driven compressor mounted in the stock location but using a custom mount/adaptor if required (my preference) or fit an electrically driven item in the frunk.

Hi Mike, I've emailed you this morning. Apologies for the delay in doing so.

That black Mk2 is undoubtedly one of the prettiest 996 GT3's on Rennlist. It looks pretty much perfect doesn't it ? It's a nicely fettled car.

LboSVjS.jpg

hJZX1nZ.jpg

YoRsHnU.jpg

WUTjKCm.jpg
:thumb:

JarmoL said:
Thanks for documenting all this. Always interesting and educational as well.

Did you ever put those exhaust parts on scales btw? Your side boxes sure look very light. I just had my M&M apart and they felt surprisingly heavy for their size.

Hi Jarmo, I hope you're well ? I've not weighed the exhaust components, but having removed the silencers to have the internals reworked, I'd estimate they weigh 2kgs (or less) each. The Inconel manifolds are paper thin : Tap them with your knuckles and you can hear just how thin they are, added to which they conduct heat so efficiently, you can grab the primary pipes 15 minutes after the engine has been run, and they'll be cool/cold to the touch.
From memory the manifolds are 1-1.5kgs each (maximum). The X pipe/decat pipes probably weigh no more than 3kgs in total, so compared with the stock system (or the M&M/Europipe Manthey K400 system I have) the BTB system is truly featherweight. But as we know, stainless is a dense material, and thus not particularly light...

In other news, I took the car down to Boxengasse yesterday, I can confirm the fuel leak has indeed been fixed :thumbs:

I have mixed feelings about Boxengasse, there were some stunning aircooled cars there :

lTtge8R.jpg

ko84zfI.jpg

a7spRNh.jpg

1RwxjW4.jpg

x4i4TtN.jpg

ISxS7iW.jpg

But in all honesty it didn't feel particularly well attended (we arrived at midday, and seemingly missed the mother of of all rainstorms around 9.00) all in all felt a bit of damp squib, and definitely not worth the entry fee IMO.

I arrived just before you and saw your car coming in and getting parked up as I walked from my 944 (dark blue/orange stripe), I wondered if it was your car, I wish I detoured over now I know it was you.

That Orange, 993 did look particularly stunning and despite the other stunning cars I had the same feeling as you about the event, seemed a little subdued even though I was there in the sunshine. The missus was more than a little P'd off she got her new shoes so muddy.

infrasilver said:
I arrived just before you and saw your car coming in and getting parked up as I walked from my 944 (dark blue/orange stripe), I wondered if it was your car, I wish I detoured over now I know it was you.

That Orange, 993 did look particularly stunning and despite the other stunning cars I had the same feeling as you about the event, seemed a little subdued even though I was there in the sunshine. The missus was more than a little P'd off she got her new shoes so muddy.

That's a shame, would've been good to have met you and had a chat.
I thought the Blood Orange 993 was stunning, I had an all too brief chat with the owner and congratulated him on a fine looking car.

Fair play to Frank C and what he's doing/trying to do. Personally if I lived in such an idyllic place/setting, the last thing I'd be doing is inviting members of the public to trample around the grounds surrounding my residence, let alone have a bunch of Porsche based businesses on my doorstep. I admire his passion for the marque, but if had a 100 acres, any businesses would be located as far away from my residence as physically possible !!
I wish him well in his endeavours.

Henry, good luck with the sale. I could almost cry for you letting it go especially when you have given it all that love and attention. Sadly I think it will be slow to sell as whilst there are many admirers it is no longer OEM and most Porsche owners seem to be obsessed with the perfect and original factory specification car.

If I was looking it would be right up my alley. I even momentarily thought about an engine swap with mine. :roll:

Pip

Slippydiff said:
I have mixed feelings about Boxengasse, there were some stunning aircooled cars there :

lTtge8R.jpg

I thought the Blood Orange 993 was stunning, I had an all too brief chat with the owner and congratulated him on a fine looking car.

I've only just seen this; thanks so much for the generous words and nice photo of the car too. The conversations that day were all too brief, especially given so many knowledgeable bodies and geeks around! Look forward to meeting again and chatting more!

Sorry to see your car up for sale - it's a stunning example with seriously impressive performance - certainly a better car due to your ownership and care. Best of luck with the sale & plans thereafter :thumbs:.

Stunning and my favourite mk1 colour. GLWS

ch3tman said:
Slippydiff said:

lTtge8R.jpg

I've only just seen this; thanks so much for the generous words and nice photo of the car too. The conversations that day were all too brief, especially given so many knowledgeable bodies and geeks around! Look forward to meeting again and chatting more!

Sorry to see your car up for sale - it's a stunning example with seriously impressive performance - certainly a better car due to your ownership and care. Best of luck with the sale & plans thereafter :thumbs:.

Thank you for your kind words, they're much appreciated.
I hope you'll enjoy your stunning 993 once the days lengthen and the weather hopefully improves.

The ZanziCup is featured in 911 & Porsche World's April edition. It's a good feature, a few inaccuracies, but all in, a good piece and nicely photographed too.

845zRue.jpg

UMAS6pj.jpg

Wonderful car H.

Honestly I'd love to pull the trigger on this one, you will never see another one like it. Fantastic build and very reasonably priced.
Best of luck mate.

Nice looking feature. I only buy mags if there's something specific to my interests in them. In fact the last one I bought had Rich's CLR on the cover. I'll definitely go and grab a copy of that though. 8)
Was the blue mk2 the Ashgood car? Cobalt with chairs. Looked a bargain that.

I can't believe yours hasn't sold yet Henry. Yes it's modified but it's the culmination of THE best bits coupled with expert knowledge of what actually works. The price over a standard one is worth it for the engine alone, let alone the blood, sweat and tears that have gone into it.

I hope it finds a good home soon. :thumb:

Edit - forget that, it's a left hooker. I'm an idiot. I did just glance at it on my phone initially though.

Marky911 said:
Nice looking feature. I only buy mags if there's something specific to my interests in them. In fact the last one I bought had Rich's CLR on the cover. I'll definitely go and grab a copy of that though. 8)
Was the blue mk2 the Ashgood car? Cobalt with chairs. Looked a bargain that.

I can't believe yours hasn't sold yet Henry. Yes it's modified but it's the culmination of THE best bits coupled with expert knowledge of what actually works. The price over a standard one is worth it for the engine alone, let alone the blood, sweat and tears that have gone into it.

I hope it finds a good home soon. :thumb:

Edit - forget that, it's a left hooker. I'm an idiot. I did just glance at it on my phone initially though.

Hi Mark, I hope you're well ? Are you about to start blowing the cobwebs off your steed for the Spring ?

The Williams Crawford Cobalt looks lovely (I've not seen it in the flesh), dare I say the perfect candidate for a hot-rodded example like Lemmingjames example on PH :

Fn2kLsa.jpg

: ducktail, wheels refinished in black and silver (or the chrome effect they used on the OE RS wheels)

It would make for a lovely euro touring car (even though I think the OE bucket seats are amongst the most comfortable seats I've ever sat in)

The ZanziCup ? Well let's be realistic, this Winter's weather was about as unsuitable as it's possible to get for using a 465hp rwd car with zero driving aids apart from SRF (sensitive right foot), slick tyres, a tight diff and rose joints pretty much everywhere in the suspension etc.

So I guess it's no real surprise no one's stepped up to the plate yet.
On the plus side, we're rushing headlong into Spring now, so the days will be getting longer in three weeks time, the temperatures rise and the rain finally stop...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back