Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Talk me out of selling my 981 Boxster S and buying a 991 GTS

isysman

Hi chaps,

Been a while since I posted, but I've been toying with the idea of selling my Boxster and buying a 991.2 GTS.

Let me first say that I love my Boxster. I enjoy it every time I drive it, even if I'm just going to the supermarket for bread. I go back and forth between modding my Boxster with front GTS bumper (already have the bumper), Sport seats and some other tasteful things, after already adding the PSE and rear GTS defusser. Then I look at cars for sale and I just want to get the 911.

I'd really like a GTS soft top but they are more than I want to spend. So I'm looking at hard tops. However the 991.1 Targa is in that hard top price range, so that's another option.

Anyway as in the title, talk me out of this mad decision. The Boxster is a great car, and like I said, I love driving it. Will I love the 991 that much more?

FOr those of you who don't know me, I own a 997 already so I have a 911 in my life already. YOu can see my BOxster sitting next to it in the photo below.

Don`t do it, Boxsters are fantastic little cars in their own special way, especially in the warmer sunny months :grin:

I go through cycles of thinking of selling one or the other, then once I start using them I fall in love with them all over again. I hadn`t used the 996 for months up until Christmas, then I got her out, gave her a wash and have been using her every day since 16th Dec and I`m smitten all over again :D

They are such different cars to drive, so I don`t really see the point of 2 911s on the drive, even though I have been contemplating replacing my Merc daily with a 997 :frustrated:

My Boxster S will be getting a bath at the weekend, then some tinkering and fettling ready for Oulton Park on 6th March :thumbs:

Nicer problems to have. Hard choice mind.

My mate had a 991 Targa in Miami blue. Gorgeous car. So I'd probs make that jump if I could but I'd want a good colour such as Miami, in which case the wait could be a long one.

On the other hand we've (same mate) been to the PEC a couple of times.
Once we did Macan Turbo in the morning and GT4 in the afternoon. Another instructor wanted to show his customer the Macan so we got his 981 (albeit a GTS) and we both agreed you do not need anymore car than one of those. It was sunny, roof down, PSE singing away, just perfect.

Your Boxster looks ace. My favourite 981 wheels and a blue roof. I'd be very happy to just keep that but if a good colour GTS Targa came up I'd probs go for it. If you have an itch, scratch it. It's not like you couldn't get a Boxster again if you regretted it. :thumb:

Well, you asked to be dissuaded from selling the Boxster, so my argument would be to keep it in order to have more variety. Especially on sunny days, the option of a mid-engined soft top is one I'd want to keep.
Variety is the spice of life, or something.
Hope this helps!

Why change? 991 is 'just another Porsche' that you would have to start modifying to make it an interesting ownership proposition. It is too close to the 997. Keep going with the boxer mods.

forgive me for derailing this thread slightly but my son has just gone for GT4 after looking at Boxster T. What an awesome machine

Attachments

• img_e3747_198.jpg
    img_e3747_198.jpg
    316.2 KB · Views: 5,852
Thanks guys for your thoughts so far.

I do love my Boxster. Sounds great especially with the roof down. There is something about that mid engined experience that suits me.

I had a 997 Cab (gen1) before my current 911 and I didn't like it. But I'd assume the 991 cab is better. But like I said I'd most likely be getting a hard top or Targa (but I have driven either). I drove a 991.1 GTS a few years ago and that was great.

My lady keeps saying I need to get a practical car as well. So at this moment I'm thinking to keep the Boxster and get a regular car for The boring stuff. But I'm sure I'll change my mind again this time tomorrow

TurboSandGT4 said:
forgive me for derailing this thread slightly but my son has just gone for GT4 after looking at Boxster T. What an awesome machine

The GT4 is a great car but it would be too similar to my 911 in terms of rawness, manual gearbox etc. My Boxster is PDK which I enjoy now for daily driving.

If you've got a plan to go on a long road trip, a nice 991.1 Targa would be ideal. Well, at least it would be my ideal grand tourer.

But if you're looking for a weekend warrior, then best to keep the Boxster...

Planning a (French) road trip in July in the Boxster - just enough luggage space for the two of us for a week, so hoping for some sunshine!

Took my Boxster to Cà´te D'zor last year for two months. Was great. Was working so had the car with me in the marina.

Johnd52 said:
Why change? 991 is 'just another Porsche' that you would have to start modifying to make it an interesting ownership proposition. It is too close to the 997. Keep going with the boxer mods.

Sort of agree :grin: But the 991 isnt a 997! The boxster 981 is pretty amazing lets be honest, but it's not a 911... Hence why you're thinking what you're thinking :dont know:

991.1 Targa GTS, plenty of power even with the crazy targa roof, which makes for a proper GT convertible with room for 4, and you keep the amazing 981 soundtrack. The 991 sounds epic, with the roof off? can only be double epic. Rumour has it they are even available in yellow, and Clarkson cant be wrong :wink:

keyboardtest

It's not because 'it's not a 911' really, it's more about features. My Boxster is great, but I wish it was a bit more powerful. Also I'd like to have the space behind the front seats. And of course I love how they look.

I note that I could get a hard top 991.2 GTS or the price of a 991.1 Targa so I think I'd rather have the GTS.

They have a fabulous spec 991.2 GTS Cab in Wilmslow in Ruby Red. Best colour I think fro that car. But it's £100k. There is also a Riviera Blue one on ebay which look sglorious to me! But again too expensive.

s-l1600.jpg

isysman said:
It's not because 'it's not a 911' really, it's more about features. My Boxster is great, but I wish it was a bit more powerful. Also I'd like to have the space behind the front seats. And of course I love how they look.

I note that I could get a hard top 991.2 GTS or the price of a 991.1 Targa so I think I'd rather have the GTS.

They have a fabulous spec 991.2 GTS Cab in Wilmslow in Ruby Red. Best colour I think fro that car. But it's £100k. There is also a Riviera Blue one on ebay which look sglorious to me! But again too expensive.

s-l1600.jpg

Plenty of cheaper ones minus the Wilmslow prices :worship: Carmine?

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classi...ake=PORSCHE&price-from=500&radius=1500&page=1

Carmine red is the colour of the one at Wilmslow.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golfguy11800
Back