Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997.1 Exhaust Upgrade - Real World Experiences & Advice

Which after market exhaust system do you have?

• DesignTek

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • TopGear

• Miltek

• Spyder Performance

• Dansk

• IPE

• Other

• Total voters

Hovis

Monza
Hi,

Looking to replace the tired and rusting exhaust system, it's just standard non Sports system.

I've been scouring forums and reviews for as much information as but wanted to get real work feedback from users on the forum.

Looking for experience and feedback... to my many questions!

Overall performance increase (not expecting any thing huge)
Sound - want to have some thing bit more throaty but no motorway drone
CAT - looking to also change these to free up the flow 200 cell but Straight or X-pipe? Read about loss in low end tore with the X-pipe
Headers - With X50/51 adding these and from reading up many people recommend doing upgrading these.
Induction - worth doing the Plenum and Throttle body?

Brands - I know you get what you pay for but looking for quality at a more affordable budget- Kline, Akrapovic and even IPE are too much for the budget. Added in a poll too try to get a feel of what people have opted for.

DesignTek - seem to have some great Packages on Design911
TopGear - only seem to have valvetronic and seems to be a big job to add this to a car with out it if you want OEM button
Miltek - always heard great things about them
Spyder Performance - seem to have a rate of pretty good upgrades
Dansk - some reviews seem to have had quality issues? but also heard some good things

As ever throwing this open to people with experience and looking to take any guidance on this. It's my daily driver and slowly looking to upgrade the parts of the car as they need replacing.

Cargraphic quiet system on my 997.1 Very similar to stock, but a slightly raspier (is that a word?) tone, no louder, and no drone. Very happy with it.

Put the back boxes on myself, and had the cats and manifold done when the engine was out.

Kline (200 cell) on my .1 Turbo.
Quality system and bought at a great price direct from the factory.

Hovis , exhaust note is very personal so honestly best to try and listen to a few yourself and decide. I have a valved cargrahic full 200 cell set up on my gen2 but at £6,000 not a cheap option the 200cell cats alone were over 3k :eek: :eek:
on my gen1 I had X51 headers ,topgear valved boxed used from the key fob supplied (I didnt bother with the proper PSE switch set up) topgear 200 cell big bore cats . I was very happy with the sound and price of this set up . forum member shabs had the same set up done and heres the vid of his car for you to listen to and decide if you like the sound or not. dont forget if you go Topgear members get 10% discount as they are a site sponsor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26fjqA6eUt8

I have the oem X51 headers with PSE boxes and Topgear 200 cel cross over cats and the note over the standard system is a lower deeper bubble with a bit of crackle and pop thrown in, I like it but as Phil says it's a personal thing so check out as many vids as you can.

On the plenum and TB mod there was a bit of debate about if it actually lowered low down power but gave more high end so you might want to read a few threads on this before you decide.

Thanks all for advice so far and sorry if missed Cargeaphic in the poll.

I've been listening to any videos I can find to check out the exhaust notes. @phil thanks for posting this one up.

The top gear system seems pretty good value, a tad more than the Designtek but some great feedback from real world use.

In terms if the fob think Id much prefer a button in the car, but suppose would just keep the fob in the car.

Practically the switchable system could I can see might be beneficial on longer trips.

@thefinn - do you see any loss in low end torq with the cross over cars?
Had read many mixed reviews on The TB, but thinking as it's a 3.6 increase maybe noticeable vs 3.8s

I've just purchased an Armytrix dongle, 2 remotes and adaptor lead which connects to my current solenoid. With the Armytrix dongle you can switch on and off with a remote but you can also have it on Auto so it switches itself at 3000rpm. You can also reset engine fault codes. I paid £399, I purchased a Spyder exhaust sometime ago, quite good quality, sounds good at high revs, not sure about low revs🤔. I done it as a temporary for a year or so but I've decided to leave it on.

I've just purchased an Armytrix dongle, 2 remotes and adaptor lead which connects to my current solenoid. With the Armytrix dongle you can switch on and off with a remote but you can also have it on Auto so it switches itself at 3000rpm. You can also reset engine fault codes. I paid £399, I purchased a Spyder exhaust sometime ago, quite good quality, sounds good at high revs, not sure about low revs🤔. I done it as a temporary for a year or so but I've decided to leave it on.

You missed Kline off the poll! Very popular on this forum I believe.

This is what I have but I don't think they make exhausts for NA cars, only the Turbo variants, but I could be wrong there.

35554569662_2d85510a2e_k.jpg

35554567502_0cea5e5c80_k.jpg

35329857240_2e62d3a7fc_b.jpg

Hovis , the 997.1 3.6 is a very capable car mine was a 3.6 well it was when I first brought it :grin: :grin: I also fitted the IPD throttle body plenum along with a BMC air filter .you will need the car remaking if you do the TB dont listen to reports the car will relearn the parameters , it will to a degree but not everything will be set up right it may retard the timing or make it run too lean so you really must have a remap to bring everything together and get the best from the car .I certainly saw big wins in the power curve and mine had been known to accelerate faster than a gen2 3.8 :grin: although it may have been driven by miss daisy that we will never know :floor:

the IPD doesn't give the gen2 the same level of gain as the gen1 as I also have it on my gen2, which may explain the differing opinions . heres my gen1 when I brought it and after I tweaked it :grin: :thumb:

Attachments

• 28685658252_5637ed60a0_c_184.jpg
    28685658252_5637ed60a0_c_184.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 5,088
  • porsche_911_coupe_2dr_tiptronic_s_da051b1513847ca51957dd70f3f74975_640x480_383.jpg
    porsche_911_coupe_2dr_tiptronic_s_da051b1513847ca51957dd70f3f74975_640x480_383.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 5,088
Sorry if missed off Klein, Cargraphic as the others section is winning out!
Tried to go back and edit the post to add them in but no joy!

Salute @phil997 - lovely work on your 3.6

Go a fair amount lined up for my car but gotta take it steady and slow.
Had it coming up for 12months in March do going forward 3-5 year plan.

I'll be watching this thread. My missus just bought C11BRA a Spa track day for Xmas. Pressure on to remove the incredibly noisy exhaust and re-instate some cats. Need to get under 103 DB. I reckon I'm at 120 right now. I'll test at the weekend with my new decibel meter that arrived today.

C11BRA, Have a look at getting it valved just for those I need it quiet moments eg trackdays and church visits etc. :grin: but it would allow you to retain hooligan mode for those big kid at heart times which for me is 90% of the time :thumb: :thumb:

Ive got standard back boxes but Top Gear 200 cell cross over cats on my 3.6. Sound is much improved over standard, but isnt loud IMO. I understand that in terms of flow only (and therefore potential gains) only changing the CATS has any actual effect, and changing the backboxes only affects the noise (unless you have more substantial work done to the engine and have a remap). I cant say I noticed an increase in power when driving, Top Gear claim 12-15 extra BHP :dont know: . Certainly havnt noticed a drop in low end torque.
There is no doubt that changing CATS reduced weight though, the standard ones weigh a ton!

Hope that helps

I got a quote from Europipe of £2845.00 plus £540 to fit which at the time gave me a heart attack but now looking at the rest doesn't seem so bad. Theirs come with the switchable noise level also. I haven't heard anything bad about Europipe on the forums either, i.e no droning noise on motorway but loud enough going through the gears....worth a look. Compared to other marques i think Porsche aftermarket exhaust are very expensive.

I'm going to give Simpson Race Exhausts in Slough a quick ring also, those guys are untouchable for workmanship, race teams from all over Europe seem to be sending their cars there atm, got to be better than some of the other options out to choose from...

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alanjf
Back