Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 GT3 handbrake refurb, leather to alcantara

Hi all, after some help. I've decided to get my steering wheel, gear knob and handbrake refurbed in alcantara. Steering wheel and gear know easy enough to remove. However, I've no idea how to get the leather bits on the handbrake off. Any ideas? I'd rather not send the whole handbrake off if I can avoid it. Has anyone done this and can give me some pointers?

Thanks in advance.

Hi there,

Is this the handbrake with the metal insert ???? If so, this is how I done it, if not, i'm sure it just pull off so more elbow grease will be needed...

First time I stripped a metal insert one , I didn't have a clue so had to pretty much prise it off, damaging it a little. But this made it easier for the next time as I knew there wasn't any hidden screws or anything.

The metal insert is glued on, I heated the metal insert with a heat gun and then with a rag wrapped around it, pulled and twisted it till it came off.

I did have the main handbrake part wrapped in a rag and held in a vice.

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=118834&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=80

(about two thirds of the way down on my thread are pics of when I done mine)

Hope this helps....

Good luck :thumbs:

Craig

The leather section can be very stiff so just elbow grease is needed

I gave up in the end, handbrake leather wouldn't move whatever I tried. Got the steering wheel done, looks and feels ace.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gpc
Back