Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 turbo to 991 GTS?

slackster

Evening all,

So i've had a 997 turbo tip since 2015 and thoroughly enjoyed it, It deffo is a great car that I haven't really ever considered wanting to sell until now but I've seen a 991 GTS that has caught my eye and I'm wondering whether the P/X is going to be worth it in terms of driving fun and long term costs / value in another 3-5 years.

I only really get the turbo out for weekend runs and the summer and it has not lost a penny since I bought it, I suspect I'd use the GTS more as a daily driver.

Likely to get early £40k's for mine and the GTS is £70k for a my2015 so i's be looking at financing the difference.

My mind says stay with the 997 but my heart say I only live the once!

Anyone else done the same thing and have any insight/advice

Is it a good move or will I regret letting the 997turbo go?

Hi Slackster,
Have you driven the GTS? I presume it's PDK which would be classed as a superior auto 'box to the Tip' . Sound will be superior for sure.
I am purely a manual man myself so fewer of the new cars would really appeal to me beyond the initial honeymoon period and I would wonder if my £27k may have been better invested elsewhere?
However, we make allowances for what we want as opposed to what we actually need, so if a GTS is pulling at the heart strings, and you can afford it, then why not?

I used to own a 997 turbo and have also had a 991 GTS. The 991 gts is an amazing bit of kit and makes the 997 feel really old. The sound of that na motor is absolutely amazing, and at 70k for a 991 gts I can't see them losing any money as there the last of the normally aspirated motors. I would change in a heartbeat, love the 991 gts 😍

It's a toughie. I've looked at the 3.8 n/a GTS's myself for the same reasons as yourself. I love my turbo, it's an absolute weapon. And like you, wondered if I'd regret letting it go (had it 4 years now and not a single issue).
As stated, the 991 will feel spaceship modern compared to your turbo and of course it'll sound nicer. It'll be fast enough but not as fast as your turbo. If you can live with this bit, get the GTS.
Value retention wise I reckon they'll both do ok. Good luck :thumbs:

I recently sold my 2008 997.1 Turbo 6MT Convertible and bought a 2018 991.2 GTS 2 7MT Coupe (carbon bucket seats, Alcantara, no sunroof or any other option to distract from the core driving). The Turbo was on the wall of teenagers in the 80's and it was an aspirational car for me. For a while I also had a 981 Boxster PDK abroad. I always thought the Boxster S was a better car, the power was manageable, the chassis modern, electronics inc. media light years ahead and it was for me a better car. The 997.1 Turbo had huge power but the Turbo lag meant it was not the best for the odd track day. I always liked the wide bodied cars (my first Porsche was a 996 C4S) and the 991.2 GTS drives miles better and is a more modern 911. I don't regret the move at all, I was like you with my thoughts and I pondered upon it for a year or so. I'm glad I made the move. At the test drive I knew it was the right car for me and the right move to make. Good luck with your decision, either way both cars are excellent at what they do.

Cheers for the feedback so far guys! Thats really useful

I havent driven a gts before but had a few drives in base 991's

The sound of the 997 turbo is definitely a let down for sure, the tip box I actually like but have loved the PDK whenever I've had a service and been given a loaner.

Power wise, the massive power of the turbo never really gets exploited in the UK so whilst its nice to have in the pocket I suspect the slightly less amount in the GTS wouldn't be an issue.

Hadn't considered that the GTS also has an engine to be admired to be honest, are there any known issues I should worry about if I jumped?

Also with the centre lock wheels.. are these a pain? Do I need to pay for porsche assist for the inevitable puncture?

Not that I think I could stretch to a 991.2 GTS but are they loads better? And why is that?

slackster said:
Cheers for the feedback so far guys! Thats really useful

I havent driven a gts before but had a few drives in base 991's

The sound of the 997 turbo is definitely a let down for sure, the tip box I actually like but have loved the PDK whenever I've had a service and been given a loaner.

Power wise, the massive power of the turbo never really gets exploited in the UK so whilst its nice to have in the pocket I suspect the slightly less amount in the GTS wouldn't be an issue.

Hadn't considered that the GTS also has an engine to be admired to be honest, are there any known issues I should worry about if I jumped?

Also with the centre lock wheels.. are these a pain? Do I need to pay for porsche assist for the inevitable puncture?

Not that I think I could stretch to a 991.2 GTS but are they loads better? And why is that?

I think the 991.2 GTS is a 3.0 litre turbo. Superb machine apparently and pretty darn rapid with 450hp on tap but I'd still prefer 3.8 n/a personally.

The 991.1 is the pinnacle of the na 911 engine, people rave about the 991.2, each to their own but it will never be the choice of many enthusiasts. (it is of course still brilliant!)

Re the 991.1 with 430 bhp it's an absolute peach. They are proper quick, 430 v 408 on the 997 doesn't tell the whole story as of course the 991 is lighter, wider and lower. And then there's the sound, which Porsche got just right :thumb:

I almost went 991 GTS but the cost at the time was too much, so I went for a very high spec 991S with the GTS engine (without the centre locks). Never looked back and I'd only ever swap for a 991 turbo S, which would probably disappoint compared to the 430 engine :worship: the sound is addictive so you always drive at full chat turbo like speeds anyway #bonus....

Hi Slackster

Does your replacement need to be a 911? The GT4 is unbelievably good as a road car and am sure as a track toy.
I test drove a 911 T and found the new 3.0 Turbo Engine uninspiring (although I'm sure the GTS would be better than the T for performance)
I only say this as I would pick the GT4 over my Turbo S for driving thrill as a weekend car.

If you need the rear seats then I think a 991.1 S or GTS manual could be ideal?

I have a 2015 GTS and it's brilliant. Different to the 997 TT but the noise is amazing, the interior is lovely and it's an easy car to live with.

Which GTS has caught our eye?

TurboSandGT4 said:
Hi Slackster

Does your replacement need to be a 911? The GT4 is unbelievably good as a road car and am sure as a track toy.
I test drove a 911 T and found the new 3.0 Turbo Engine uninspiring (although I'm sure the GTS would be better than the T for performance)
I only say this as I would pick the GT4 over my Turbo S for driving thrill as a weekend car.

If you need the rear seats then I think a 991.1 S or GTS manual could be ideal?

Not a bad call on the GT4 I agree, I've seen that a few are about the same price as a GTS and I did love my old cayman S!

Still deliberating at present though, was ready to pull the trigger last weekend until I took the turbo out for a run!

slackster said:
........ still deliberating at present though, was ready to pull the trigger last weekend until I took the turbo out for a run!

And that is exactly why I haven't made the move from a 997T to a 991 Carrera. When it comes to it I just can't justify any additional spend, let alone the £30k that you're considering.

[/quote]Still deliberating at present though, was ready to pull the trigger last weekend until I took the turbo out for a run![/quote]

Boom, there we have it. I'm exactly the same. I only take mine out on dry sunny days. As I don't live in San Diego (S. Yorkshire) it's only now and again and obviously when I'm home from working away.
After a spirited blat along a few Lincolnshire A and B roads I invariably jump out, shut the door, look at it and think 'fek me, what a weapon!' At or around this point I realise I can't sell or swap it. :thumbs:

Still deliberating at present though, was ready to pull the trigger last weekend until I took the turbo out for a run![/quote]

Boom, there we have it. I'm exactly the same. I only take mine out on dry sunny days. As I don't live in San Diego (S. Yorkshire) it's only now and again and obviously when I'm home from working away.
After a spirited blat along a few Lincolnshire A and B roads I invariably jump out, shut the door, look at it and think 'fek me, what a weapon!' At or around this point I realise I can't sell or swap it. :thumbs:[/quote]

:hand: :hand: You both need a 991 GTS for a few days :grin:

spongebob squarepants said:
Still deliberating at present though, was ready to pull the trigger last weekend until I took the turbo out for a run!

After a spirited blat along a few Lincolnshire A and B roads I invariably jump out, shut the door, look at it and think 'fek me, what a weapon!' At or around this point I realise I can't sell or swap it. :thumbs:[/quote]

:hand: :hand: You both need a 991 GTS for a few days :grin:[/quote]

I've had a couple of days in a GT3RS, which is like a GTS on steroids. Still love the turbo though...
Wouldn't mind a GT3RS mind you. That was some weapon :eek: Cost is a sticking point :grin:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back