Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Exhaust replacement

Steel studs with aluminium paste, copper/brass flange nuts on stainless spring washers. This is what I've done loads of times with motorbikes never had any issues with this set up. Marine grade stainless for literally every other fixing.

The main thing is to stay positive and cheery!?! We both know it's not incompetence or poor workmanship it's just corrosion over time and a large helping of misfortune so we've just made a laugh of it and got on with it. For instance should any of that other side come out I've instructed Bruce to put them back in and snap them!!? I want to be part of the legendary team that snapped every fixing!!!!!

Congrats on staying cheerful ! It isn't any wonder that many owners delay it until they MUST do it. All of mine broke and I think thee guy ended up taking about 12 hours to finish the job. (only charged me 8 which softened the blow).

Be worth it when finished and will sound great :)

Thanks for the update, I guess we all know the likely outcome but with mine to do I was still holding out for more fortuitous news on yours :nooo:

Did you get any pictures of the bolt heads and what's the age and mileage of your car?

Bit of an update!!! 9.30pm New Year's Eve?!? This is going to cross decades!!!!
Anyway, all off, all drilled and basically five studs in one slide and three in the other. I've four to deal with, these seem a nightmare but that maybe just because it's cold and a long day. I only have a second tap rather than a first and a second so I've been picking out the first few threads and then going at it but these are having none of it!! I think I have a first tap at home in the garage so back here tomorrow to hopefully get more done.
Brackets are on, thermostats back on and plenty of other bits so it's been a good day.
Two came out on that side today with welded nuts on so that was some good news

Oh, and happy new year to everyone!!!

jond58 said:
Steel studs with aluminium paste, copper/brass flange nuts on stainless spring washers. This is what I've done loads of times with motorbikes never had any issues with this set up. Marine grade stainless for literally every other fixing.
:thumb:

jond58 said:
Bit of an update!!! 9.30pm New Year's Eve?!? This is going to cross decades!!!!
Anyway, all off, all drilled and basically five studs in one slide and three in the other. I've four to deal with, these seem a nightmare but that maybe just because it's cold and a long day. I only have a second tap rather than a first and a second so I've been picking out the first few threads and then going at it but these are having none of it!! I think I have a first tap at home in the garage so back here tomorrow to hopefully get more done.
Brackets are on, thermostats back on and plenty of other bits so it's been a good day.
Two came out on that side today with welded nuts on so that was some good news
Great work.
You will enjoy 2020 knowing that the job has been done right :thumbs:

Bit of a sleepless night mulling things over in my mind so down here early to check something that bothered me and sure enough some thinking time was all that was required.
Couldn't quite figure out why the last four holes seemed such an impossibility to shell the thread from. Vernier calipers out and that drill bit has done too much!! 17/64 is approx 6.75mm. That drill bit is 6.607 so looks like I'm not quite done with drilling. Very slow and careful cleaning pass required but obviously it's New Year's Day so that ain't happening today as no where is open!! Had literally every drill bit I own out to see if i had anything. I don't!!
Going to have a tidy up and list some bits for sale that I've removed. Jig will be for sale once I've actually finished with it!!!!

Awesome work, one of those jobs thats you are in for a penny!! Would be nice to hear if that car feels any better with all of the nice new shiny bits??

All the best and a happy new year to you

Cheers Nick

Yeah, once you're committed you're definitely committed! I'm just feeling silly about not getting a load of 17/64 drill bits. I bought a load of the smaller ones but I guess in my mind I didn't think I'd be drilling this many bolts out! I'm not in a rush it's just I have to keep reminding myself of that fact!

Hi

I have done this horrible job on my 993 and when refitting the manifold nuts used 12mm copper coated ones as used by Lotus Esprit Turbo owners. I was told SS ones will anneal to the steel studs.

Well done!

Bernard

Massive 'well done' so far ...... but agree with Jezgreen .... those of us who have this job in front of us were desperately hoping for a greater success rate with actual stud wind outs, especially with the array of kit lined up against them. I would now be approaching this job with a far lower expectation of successful wind-outs from something like 50:50 that I would have had before your post.
Can you summarise what was helpful and what was not worth the effort in terms of 'persuasion' on the studs. I get the impression that Penetrating oil, heat cycling, laser stud extraction contributed little. Do you retrospectively think that heat cycling may have contributed brittleness, causing so many to snap off. I have read another documented stud removal case where no heat was used, but each bolt head was trimmed back to stud 8mm dia to enable flange removal (had to cut up the manifold in situ to get access to nuts) and then laser stud extraction tool was used fairly successfully.
How did you get on with the exhaust hanger bolts (into engine block)?
Great posts. .... thanks

I think that every engine will be different. How many heat cycles it's done, how close it's been to the seaside, has it been garaged etc etc. At some point I assume this may have been used to tow life boats on and off a slipway because these were heavily corroded!!!

Anyway, retrospectively the only thing different I would have done was to try welding more nuts on the first side. We got two or three out of the other side with that technique and Bruce had bought some new welding tips so I think if we had our time again we'd probably focus on that for a little longer. That said I think the best we would have achieved would be 50% removal so there's always going to be drilling.

Penetrating oil does nothing!! As I suspected. I had loads on for days on end the studs were as dry as a bone so it's only psychological assistance that's giving!

I guess it depends how much stud is left showing, a bit more and that stud extractor may have been useful but it's a frustrating tool to get on with it slipping off.

The exhaust supports have frustrated me! Bolts removed with two cycles of the induction tool and replaced with stainless. There are two upper bolts each side. I thought Porsche would have left access behind a heat shield that sits on the inner wing.....they didn't so that's an engine out job. The only good news there is that owning one of these means you just need to wait till that job comes round!!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bristolsparks
Back