Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Morimoto (now plus others!) bi-xenon solution for the 993

ch3tman

Has anyone installed this in the UK?

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/morimoto-retroquik-porsche-993.html

porsche_993_morimoto_bi-xenon_retroquik_kit_action_3_2.jpg

They appear to work with (?) Bergville F/X's brilliant T-LIGHT kit that many of us already have. A few questions for those who have installed this for their C16 car:

1] Do you recommend the product?
2] How easy was the install compared to the T-LIGHT install? On a scale of 1-10...?
3] Does it work alongside Tore's kit?
4] Is it blindingly bright? Really dislike how modern cars/aftermarket kits are dazzling and wouldn't want to blind oncoming traffic...

] Do you recommend the product? Yes

2] How easy was the install compared to the T-LIGHT install? On a scale of 1-10...?
T-light 1
Morimoto 4

3] Does it work alongside Tore's kit?
Yes in fact it is easier to fit with Tore's Hid's than the kit from USA

4] Is it blindingly bright? Really dislike how modern cars/aftermarket kits are dazzling and wouldn't want to blind oncoming traffic...
Not all all, a very sharp cut off, good foreground illumination.
Cons:- expensive, a bit fiddly to fit.
Pros :- good beam pattern, with Cyclops Led main you will stun bats, owls and Range Rovers.
Make sure you order rhd kit you can't mod lhd to fit. And the splice wire to main beam so you get double main

Thank you Endoman! :thumbs:

Endoman said:
T-light 1
Morimoto 4
..hmm :oops: bit of thinking to do - but it is tempting - maybe something for next year :).

In the meantime, have any had any issues come MOT time with this setup?

Also, looking at the install guide (https://www.theretrofitsource.com/media/custom/upload/File-1484753410.pdf) I'm going to assume that if running Tore's T-LIGHT, Page 7, 10 & 11 are the ones to focus on, whereas Page 8, 11, 12, 13, 14 can be ignored ...:? If anyone sees different please shout!

Indeed with Tore's kit everthing fits inside the pod. No problems with MOT as the system mimics Porsches own litronics system (and that is expensive)
The american instructions miss the fact that euro headlights have a levelling motor which gets in the way a bit, you can twist it anti-clockwise temporarily which gives a bit more room and then lock it back into place. You are supposed to have headlight washers with hids but again I deleted mine and it passed MoT.
Main beam is much improved as you now have Hid main with instant response as the shutter flips up and you still have the halogen main for daytime flashing. I fitted an Led main but it's a bit overkill and the reflection from motorway signs quite dazzling.
The dip beam spread is vey good with the morimotos useful on country lanes.
I liked them so much I fitted them to the 944 which has very poor standard headlights.
It was much more involved but again the result was worth it.
Sililar to this:-
https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-944-951-968-forum/802951-another-944-xenon-projector-mod.html

Endoman said:
Indeed with Tore's kit everthing fits inside the pod. No problems with MOT as the system mimics Porsches own litronics system (and that is expensive)
Really good to know, thank you.

Endoman said:
The dip beam spread is vey good with the morimotos useful on country lanes.
That's actually the reason behind considering this type of kit... I took the 993 up to Scotland a few weeks ago, and on some of those rural country lanes, at night, where there is no other light source, I would've benefited from something extra! That said, Tore's kit has proved to be 'just right' for the past 5 years in normal city/town driving :thumb:.

Excuse the probably very stupid question...

Just checking fitting these would remedy the terrible low beam performance of my Bergville kit? I'm happy with how the high beams perform.

I'm surprised Tore's kit is poor on low beam.
The Morimotos are a very similar projector to the std Porsche ones and it's difficult to tell them apart in situ.
The beam pattern though is quite different, as the above illustration shows, although the halogen pattern as illustrated is not the pie chart type we get as standard.
On the 993 I have Tore's hid bulbs with the Morimotos and on the 944 Retroquick's hids. The 993 lights are brighter and whiter than the 994 which appear a little blue.
There is no facility for a change to the beam pattern with the morimotos i.e. for continental driving.
Good post inc. fiting:- https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/1036362-best-hid-upgrade-5.html

Endoman said:
I'm surprised Tore's kit is poor on low beam.
The Morimotos are a very similar projector to the std Porsche ones and it's difficult to tell them apart in situ.
The beam pattern though is quite different, as the above illustration shows, although the halogen pattern as illustrated is not the pie chart type we get as standard.
On the 993 I have Tore's hid bulbs with the Morimotos and on the 944 Retroquick's hids. The 993 lights are brighter and whiter than the 994 which appear a little blue.
There is no facility for a change to the beam pattern with the morimotos i.e. for continental driving.
Good post inc. fiting:- https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/1036362-best-hid-upgrade-5.html

Thanks thats super helpful

Happy new year!

andyobro said:
9elevenheadlights have just posted that they will be releasing their new 993 lights this year.......
Worth noting their 964 option comes in at over two thousands dollars..:eek:

Endoman said:
If I understand correctly :?, the colour temp of the output, at least for the 993, where the T-LIGHT kit is used, is dependent on whether you chose the 4300k or 6000k kit from Tore, rather than an effect of the Morimoto solution..?

Yes the Retroquick bulbs have a different colour temp and appear to have lower light output than Tore's hids.

I have these and tores hid and night breaker laser main beam bulbs. the overall solution is very good I live in rural Yorkshire and this set up transforms night driving, I have had no issues with blinding on coming traffic. There are two things to note.
Firstly, the morimotos projectors can not be switched from rhd to lhd so would need headlight stickers if going aboard and doing night driving. The other is that at MOT time the internal levelling switch next to the ignition key wasn't working and was considered a fail. On investigation one of the headlight motors had failed but also the new protectors were restricting the movement of the levelling system. This could have been down to a bad install, but they had to be modified to get the 3 settings on the internal switch. Obviously this is a one off situation but worth noting or at least looking at at time of install.
Over all I am very happy with my lighting set up and even did a night stage on a closed road rally with them in Mallorca last year and lighting was excellent.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back