Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Oil Pressure gauge fault

omigod

Trainee
Hi all, I have an unusual issue with a new to me 996.1 Cab.
The oil pressure gauge isn't working as it should.
With the ignition off it reads at just over 4 bar.
Turn the ignition on and it stays at 4 bar
Start the engine and it drops to needle rest position
Turn off the engine and it rises back to 4 bar

If you turn on the ignition (reading 4 bar) and disconnect the switch it drops to rest position, reconnect the switch and there is no response.

I believe the gauge is just a voltmeter as such so this would indicate there is a short providing current to the guage with the ignition off, this may also explain why the battery goes flat after 3 days (or it could be a weak battery)

Anyone experience this before?

Yes it is basically a voltmeter, you can get at the corresponding wire around the back of the instruments to check the actual voltage pretty easily. I have the voltage / pressure readings for it at home, but can't get them for a couple of days.

MC

From looking at the wiring diagram would I be correct in assuming (12v) current is provided from within the dash through the gauge and then down to the sensor.
The sensor then provides a variable resistance route to earth depending on oil pressure. :?:

If it is the same as the temperature sensors, which I can't remember off the top of my head, then the dashboard provides 5v through an internal pullup resistor to the sensor.

MC

Measuring the voltages at the cables going to the switch I get 12v on Green/Yellow and 7v on Green/Red which I suspect tie up with that, the 12v line being for the dash oil pressure warning light which seems to work as it should.

Both of these voltage revert to 0 with the ignition off.

In essence I have a voltage incorrectly passing through the gauge and to earth when the ignition is off. This voltage is then cut off or cancelled out when the engine is running.

I can't see how it would be the sender although I wish it was as I love an easy fix!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Retep
Back