Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

im afraid of big bills

thanks Marty, that has got me thinking - i bet there are a few one / two owner cars out there that are ripe for the picking
jim

The return of Marty Wild said:
^^^^^^Don't know whether to laugh or cry!

I say buy a looked after 986 with as many of the usual bits having being done as poss, pocket the savings over the 987.

Then do the easiest bits yourself, brakes, yearly oil changes etc. Have a car that you are not worried about resale value or where you leave it. Keep the car for ever! Any bits you can't do yourself, take it somewhere you trust.

The money you have left over you now have as a slush fund. My Insurance on a 986 with all mods declared with 6 track days is under £300. Car tax around £23 unlike my Cayman which was 55.

I too became a dad, my sorted Cayman S ceased to be used, got out on Sunday mornings to blow out the cob webs 5 times in 9 months. Yeah I miss her big time, but the originator Boxster provides 70% of the experience at a fraction of the price.

That's what I did anyways.

They don't have anywhere near the presence of the 987 IMO. Interior not as nice place to be.... but in terms of the drive, they're all from the same blood line.

I picked up a cracker for 4k from Precision (well regarded Indy on here). There is no way my Cayman, as much as I loved her, delivered over 4 times the driving experience.

Went to a wet Snetterton in November, my mate with a 997.1 S came with and we shared the driving. He got there in another mate's 991.2 Turbo S, at the end of the day he maintained that his 997 and indeed the Turbo S didn't stack up against the lowly Boxster when you factor in the costs.

As it turned out, mate in his Turbo S and his mate in a GT4 did 8 laps before calling it a day due to the goons out there writing off their cars. Also stating they had big targets on their backs, everyone in our party agreed that on the day, I had the best car :lol:

So bottom line, you could get a Boxster, tinker away, and not worry when you go to bed. Not that I personally worried with my 987.1 when I had her. Look up Baz's advice to looking after the 9x7 gen 1 engines, drive them properly and crack on with enjoying the journey.

Let us know how you get on!

987 Boxster ..

Front crossover pipes corroding .. circa 1 K .. wheel on a full lock each side and look at the pipes .. pretty obvious .

brakes / suspension .. running items .. if not previously replaced then circa 60 k Your going to need coffin arms .. diag arms are a noise but no play so you can leave if you don't mind the knock .

You want a car with a sensible history .. ie one that has some items replaced each service .. you want a car that has no or very little smoke from a cold start .. you want one that stops tapping very quick from a cold start .

A fault code readout tell you an awful lot .. lambda / cat efficencincy is what i'm thinking here.

thanks Merty, i will let you know & thanks again for the advice and words of reason
jim

The return of Marty Wild said:
They don't have anywhere near the presence of the 987 IMO. Interior not as nice place to be.... but in terms of the drive, they're all from the same blood line.

I picked up a cracker for 4k from Precision (well regarded Indy on here). There is no way my Cayman, as much as I loved her, delivered over 4 times the driving experience.

Went to a wet Snetterton in November, my mate with a 997.1 S came with and we shared the driving. He got there in another mate's 991.2 Turbo S, at the end of the day he maintained that his 997 and indeed the Turbo S didn't stack up against the lowly Boxster when you factor in the costs.

As it turned out, mate in his Turbo S and his mate in a GT4 did 8 laps before calling it a day due to the goons out there writing off their cars. Also stating they had big targets on their backs, everyone in our party agreed that on the day, I had the best car :lol:

So bottom line, you could get a Boxster, tinker away, and not worry when you go to bed. Not that I personally worried with my 987.1 when I had her. Look up Baz's advice to looking after the 9x7 gen 1 engines, drive them properly and crack on with enjoying the journey.

Let us know how you get on!

thanks DeMort

deMort said:
987 Boxster ..

Front crossover pipes corroding .. circa 1 K .. wheel on a full lock each side and look at the pipes .. pretty obvious .

brakes / suspension .. running items .. if not previously replaced then circa 60 k Your going to need coffin arms .. diag arms are a noise but no play so you can leave if you don't mind the knock .

You want a car with a sensible history .. ie one that has some items replaced each service .. you want a car that has no or very little smoke from a cold start .. you want one that stops tapping very quick from a cold start .

A fault code readout tell you an awful lot .. lambda / cat efficencincy is what i'm thinking here.

deMort said:
987 Boxster ..

That`s pretty much bang on where I am with my 987 S Iain, front coolant pipes and cats starting to get past their sell by date :roll:

Check out my ownership threads under this section by all means.

kurlykris said:
That`s pretty much bang on where I am with my 987 S Iain, front coolant pipes and cats starting to get past their sell by date :roll:

I think we both know you need new cats young man , either that or a tester to keep turning off the EML :hand: .

The front cross over pipes all depend on just how bad they are .. i have successfully changed a single rubber pipe a few times due to corrosion and a leak but it can be a mission ..

There is also the chance the connecting pipe will get damaged and at that point its a case of " lets just do them all " .

wax oil them once a year if still intact .. that should help make them last longer .

60K is kinda the milage things start wearing out suspension wise on 997 / 987 .. some can be left like diagonal arms and some cant .

hence history when buying one of these is important .

Btw for the OP .. rusty shocks are just that .. rusty .. i wouldn't change them for that reason .. never seen one corrode through to cause an actual leak so far and something that's rusty is just that .. rusty .. if you cant see it ... hell just leave it .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back