Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

How To Check Your Engine oil lvl.

deMort

Monaco
996 / 986 ..

Oil needs to be at operating temp , run the car or drive it and park on lvl ground , engine off then ignition on .. you should have a 1 min countdown after which it will display the oil lvl .

If 5 or more mins then run the engine for longer as its not hot enough .

A top up of over 1 ltr and you need to run the engine for another 5 mins to get this oil to operating temp .. you have topped up with cold oil basically and oil expands when hot .

Each segment is approx 0.2 of a ltr .. you need to aim for 1 segment below the arrow .. the very top segment is an over fill .

If you overfill by about 0.3 then dont worry .. just drive it .. more and you might need to drain and start again .. drain when cold .. NOT hot .. it hurts !

997 / 987 gen 1 ..

As above but you get a 5 min countdown .. ignition off , wait 5 mins then ignition on and check the display ..

Each segment is approx 0.4 of a ltr .. you are aiming to get it on the top line .

Same with added oil , over a ltr and get that oil upto temp and then recheck .

997/987 gen 2 ..

Engine running at operating temp and read off the display .. oil at 60 degrees or higher .

Each segment is again approx 0.4 of a ltr .

991 / 981 ..

As above engine off , ignition on this time .. 2 min countdown and i use a piwis to get the top up value .. it's not easy to get these in a live reading mode so a tester is best .. if not , wait 2 mins before topping up .. i've found car locked then unlocked is best .

Open the bonnet and you have to run it up further .

Cayenne .. a world of pain as are Macans .. often ignition left on when at operating temp and after 3 mins you will get an accurate reading .. hard to get this accurate though .. just dont over fill is all i can say so add a bit at a time .. often several drives are best .

People here probably have ways to check this when cold .. i only check it after changing the oil so this is all i can say as its how i do it .

Comments welcome on how you lot check your oil ..

I just figured id do a post as it's a common question so all answers in one place makes it easier for future people searching i guess :)

Please bear in mind .. the engine will hold over 10 ltrs , a min reading will mean 1.5 ltr less .. the engine won't seize with this small amount missing .. 0.4 down makes no difference to the engine Whatsoever.. 5 ltrs down will though :(

Oh for the old fashioned dip stick ...... a name I have often been called ..... thanks for posting that deMort ....... :) :thumb:

p.s. Wishing you and yours a very Happy New Year ...... :)

I would guess it was removed in the name of weight saving , something Porsche does a lot of .

Technically the cars just have a digital one these days but as the way they are read and checked differers is what complicates things i feel.

Several models do actually still have a dipstick tube but no stick fitted as standard .. its " special " equipment that garages have .

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back