Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Consumer Rights Act
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Official Porsche Centre Reviews
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
992 : 2019- 0
991 : 2011- 23
997 : 2004- 65
996 : 1997-2005 30
993 : 1993-1998 3
964 : 1989-1993 0
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 2
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 1
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 1
Early 911 : 1964-1977 1
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 0
Boxster : 1997- 26
Cayman : 2005- 21
Cayenne : 2003- 5
Macan : 2014- 4
Panamera : 2009- 0
912-914-924-928-944-968 0
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 0
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [992] 2018-Current
Porsche 911 [992]
911 [991] 2011-2019
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-2012
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

diceman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:16 pm    Post subject: Starter cable replacement - help required Reply with quote

Having suffered an alternator failure i've decided to do some routine preventative maintenance in the form of alternator, starter cable, AOS, coil packs and probably the tandem pump.

I'm just starting to refit the starter cable but have fears that one of the cables that connects at the gearbox terminal block has failed :-(

The primary connection is to the main battery cable to the front of the car but the secondary cable (the one that's potentially failed) goes up through the floor of the car around the rear seat area.

Now my questions: -
1) Should the terminal swivel on the cable here or has the crimp to wire failed?
(It won't pull off but rotates).
2) does anyone know what it goes to, if there is a part of the loom I can look up and order or if I may get away with getting my hydraulic crimpers on it?

Starter cable - arrow connector rotates.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  166.23 KB
 Viewed:  1015 Time(s)

Description:
 Filesize:  166.23 KB
 Viewed:  1015 Time(s)

Luddite
Montreal

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

diceman, I have never as much as touched a 997, though have a measure of electrical experience... I suspect if that terminal acts as you typed I would be stripping back the insulation to have a look and no doubt follow that up with replacing the terminal with a new one, given you have access to a crimping tool.... If you just re-crimp it it is possible/probable that you will get away without issue.... BUT... ?

As for the crimped termination rotating.... Consider if you left that nut connecting all three lugs even fractionally loose , I suspect it would initially create a resistance when under load, that resistance would generate heat/voltage drop, that heat would cause burning, the burning would increase the resistance and cause more burning/voltage drop, the very situation you are trying to avoid with your pre-emptive maintenance..?

Good luck in your choices..

diceman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your response.

I know you are right. It needs investigating more and fixing properly regardless of what it serves. I'd kind of hoped I could get away with it short-term; if somebody said "oh it's the power feed to the bose sub amp" I'd have left it for now and dealt with in a couple of weeks.

It's MOT time 3rd Jan so I need the car complete before then to give it a test run and clean up discs etc and it seems to be fighting me!

I'll have a look and check to see what size die sets I have for the crimper and diameter of glue lined heatshrink I have here. I doubt I'll get any delivery of bits if I need them.

deMort
Dijon

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1/ It sounds like the wire has broken inside the terminal .. a new terminal will be required .

2 / The feed is for the fuses / relays for the heated rear screen and the engine compartment blower fan .

Thank you all so Very much .

She's not going until july 2020 though .

Mechanic

7pm - 9pm

Indy Mechanic .

diceman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's fantastic. Many thanks deMort.

So non-critical items short-term if time stipulates I must do it in a couple of weeks. (Although I see that the fuse/relay board also serves the secondary air-pump so emissions for MOT may be compromised).

I've ordered a new terminal of hopefully the right size as the ones I have are all 10mm hole!

Big thank you for your help Smile

deMort
Dijon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The feed seems to be only the blower fan and the heated rear screen .. the secondary air pump takes its feed direct from the starter motor main feed .

The blower fan for the engine is needed though so i wouldn,t run it for too long without this working .

Secondary air is only used for fast warm up and as such has no bearing on an mot test other than if it triggers an EML .

Mechanic

7pm - 9pm

Indy Mechanic .

wiring-1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  187.87 KB
 Viewed:  779 Time(s)

wiring-1.jpg

diceman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you deMort,
I'd assumed the air pump was a modern incarnation of EGR but I should have engaged brain as the M3 operates similar to the 997.

Anyway, I've started now so no going back! The cable had indeed sheared at the terminal. I assume it's a combination of corrosion and work hardening of the cable as there is no form cable restraint to prevent excessive movement around the entry to the terminal point. Removal of the heatshrink resulted in the terminal coming away.

New terminal purchased and arrived and I'm cleaning the cable ready for a new crimped terminal and glue lined heatshrink. Once fitted it will be coated with dielectric grease and a good dose of ACF50 shoved up it's innards.

I can't say I'm impressed with Porsche build quality so far, there was excessive corrosion on the nuts, terminals and cables on all ends of the starter cable. All parts are being replaced and I'm adding further protection over standard. I'm currently undertaking a rolling restoration of a 1991 Celica GT4 Carlos Sainz and the electrics and bolts have survived far better even though they are twice the age & miles. My 997 has never lived by the sea (a pre-purchase requirement having been bitten before!)

You've been a massive help, thank you.

Luddite
Montreal

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diceman, first off thanks for coming back with the all important update to help others understand and resolve any similar issue...

As for your assessment of Porsche quality.... yeah a great pity... I tuned into Porsche engineering standards many years back, a time when I considered them to be no more than souped up Beetles, though when I first put a spanner to my then rusted out 912`s engine expecting the fixing to break... it unscrewed.. as did everything else I touched...Changed days it seems, and not just from that which you have typed, I have been on this forum for perhaps a year looking to update my Porsche education, and it seems to me that Porsche priorities have altered with the passage of time, whereas mine may not have moved with the times...(-:

I had the hots for a 997.1 at 911 V last Christmas which sold before I could declare interest, and having spent time on here, I am leaning towards a 3.2 Carrera, in the hope that which I admired in Porsche might be found again.... but any 3.2 is an old car now, and an old SPORTS car at that... hmm..!

Sorry, I rambled off a tad.... though at least you are a bit more in tune with the realities of the expectations you should have relative to Porsche..err..quality in terms of that which it seems might be considered as engineering basic ideals, and fortunately for you, it was your own preventative maintenance ideals that have caused you to avoid and inconvenient breakdown or worse... well done.. Thumb

DeMort…. worth his weight in gold... worship worship

deMort
Dijon

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ diceman ..

I think when you have worked on the shear number of cars i have then you would realise these ain't so bad .. rare to get body corrosion .. only Volvo and i can say the same .

Yes these cars have issues and i realise the price is not that of a ford .. but i can only say .. after many years of many different makes .. these aint bad .

I am somewhat biased though lol .

Your problem is not one i have come across .. and i've done a few but like any car .. sods law applies .. a fairly simple fix though

I must say though .. hats off .. starter cable replacement is not the easiest job in the world . Thumb

Mechanic

7pm - 9pm

Indy Mechanic .

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: