Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Turbo maintenance/refurb

Gazc2 said:
I tried the vacuum route however first time I pressurised it there was a leak as it wouldn't hold which is a bit of a dilemma how do you find a leak when there is no water or air pressure in the system ? anyway checked what I could and nothing obvious, the cheap Nielson vacuum pump I got from ebay didn't last long somewhere between putting it on the car once and laying it down on the bench the small knurled part on the release valve sheared off !.

So back to square one , filled the system ran the car with the heater on this highlighted where my leak was the bottom hose on the drivers side rad was not seated properly which was quickly fixed I kept checking for heat in the front hoses giving them a squeeze to pump and feel the coolant moving ,done this a couple of times topping up as I went this all seemed fine got heat in the car and hoses and no leaks so hopefully good to go however will need to take it for a run and re-check.

how did you get on filling yours ?

I used a fleabay tester kit that came with a pressure test adapater as well, so I pressurised the system to whatever was the correct amount and then if there are any leaks you can spray some LDF (gas leak detector) on joints or just soapy water (I prefer LDF though), and where it bubbles you have the leak.
As far as vac tester, I dont think you can find a leak from that; you just know it has a leak lol

Did you drain the engine from the bleed bolts on the lower coolant elbows at the back? as well as pulling the big Henn couplers under the car?
It doesnt empty the whole system anyway as mine proves (I should have pulled hoses from front rads which I would have done if it was on a lift; but couldnt get to them easily) Sounds fine the way you have done it; I couldnt pull more than about 0.7 bar vacuum because my compressor was too weedy (and I had water somewhere up front I think). So I got 20 litres in after that, all heaters work nicely etc but I need to take it on a proper run as the flow to the front rads is hot but the return is luke warm and fans havent kicked in yet. Did your fans kick in? Im going to check them with durametric and if they come on which they should, I will probably drive it at that as I didnt leave it at 3k rpm for X minutes as I think your meant to , to get the fans on. Currently the temp wil not go past the middle marker on the gauge

The last time on a car of mine where the fan didnt come on (a road car with a race motor) I didnt notice until the temp was headed for the red !

I didnt drain the system completely when I removed the radiators and captured about a buckets worth of coolant,its taken about 12liters the fans have kicked in when it got just above the center, like yours the return pipes at the front are mildly warm.

I had the bleeder valve in the vertical position when the car was sitting ticking over.

Gazc2 said:
I didnt drain the system completely when I removed the radiators and captured about a buckets worth of coolant,its taken about 12liters the fans have kicked in when it got just above the center, like yours the return pipes at the front are mildly warm.

I had the bleeder valve in the vertical position when the car was sitting ticking over.
I probably just need to he a bit more patient then letting the fans kick in. Good to hear you didnt need to drain the lot because I will be checking the front rads next. Indeed, bleeders still open on mine. Was going to close it after a few drives

I bought a couple of rolls of this mesh to fit some grills to the front bumper a smaller mesh might be the preffered option but this was all I could get delivered in time over the holidays.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Gril...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

The center one is pretty straightforward I folded up the edge all the way round and used the channel round the grill to wedge this in and then held in place with some self tappers here and there.

The side ones take a bit more time to shape and cut again I used the channel round the edge to hold the folded edge, it gets more awkward at the slats as they are raised involves a bit of cutting and folding.
Happy with the finished result hopefully a bit of protection for the rads.

Attachments

• front_grill_214.jpg
    front_grill_214.jpg
    233.2 KB · Views: 2,232
  • grill2_990.jpg
    grill2_990.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 2,232
I changed the drier out last week all straightforward pretty sure this is the original drier that was still fitted comparison of some part numbers below for reference. Hoping to get the cruise control stalk fitted today.

Cheers DH its coming along nicely have you managed to get yours out for another run yet ?

Attachments

• drier2_546.jpg
    drier2_546.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 3,004
  • drier_390.jpg
    drier_390.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 3,004
So didnt get far with fitting the cruise control stalk due to not having a suitable T9 torx screwdriver to remove the shroud on the steering wheel so one ordered from Fleabay to add to the toolbox.

Attachments

• steering_wheel_393.jpg
    steering_wheel_393.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 2,980
The cruise control is now fitted i followed an excellent guide I picked up on line if anyone needs a copy drop me a note, The only awkward bit was the bloody clip the pops through the back of the lower cover it wasn't very keen to pop out however got their eventually.

Popped in to town to get the new rear boots and TPMS fitted so another couple of jobs ticked off.

Attachments

• cruise_control_123.jpg
    cruise_control_123.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 2,879
  • new_boots_111.jpg
    new_boots_111.jpg
    244.8 KB · Views: 2,879
Nice work Gazc2. I like the cruise control mod..
Does it need programming in with PIWIS once the car is up and running again?

Looks like your list of mods keeps growing :)

The cruise needs coded in I have been looking at the foxwell NT530 not sure if it does the cruise mind you, I also need to code the rear spoiler to the fixed position as well.

should hopefully get my bits back from the painter this week.

Gazc2 said:
The cruise needs coded in I have been looking at the foxwell NT530 not sure if it does the cruise mind you, I also need to code the rear spoiler to the fixed position as well.

should hopefully get my bits back from the painter this week.

Sounds like you need PIWIS (clone). Im about to bench test one..Sick of P car tax on everything! Will let you know how it goes

Eventually got my bits back from the painters which are all looking cracking rear aero roughly fitted to the car not gapped up yet.

however perfect match and will crack on tomorrow and get the rest fitted up.

Attachments

• bi_plane_388.jpg
    bi_plane_388.jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 2,457
Loooking good progress gaz
You picked a good time to do the work!

I have indeed been out in mine a lot, about 1000++ miles in fact and its running like a dream. Indecently fast and with handling like no other car I have ever owned! I can see why people say these are too fast to use fully on UK roads, its mind boggling how quick a turbo is as an all round point to point car.

Glad to hear your putting yours to good use and its all running fine and as you say a completes buzz to drive, I read a lot of tosh about turbos being dull, lacking character etc. It brings a smile to my face everytime I get in it and I have had it 5 years in May.

Waiting on some more sill clips to arrive to get the pass side finished and that will be me just about done except for.

A good detail
wheel alignment
MOT
Re-charge AC
Code spoiler and Cruise control

then time to drive :thumb:

Gazc2 said:
Glad to hear your putting yours to good use and its all running fine and as you say a completes buzz to drive, I read a lot of tosh about turbos being dull, lacking character etc. It brings a smile to my face everytime I get in it and I have had it 5 years in May.

Waiting on some more sill clips to arrive to get the pass side finished and that will be me just about done except for.

A good detail
wheel alignment
MOT
Re-charge AC
Code spoiler and Cruise control

then time to drive :thumb:

Ah sounds good!
Yeah that is one thing I will be sorting, my aircon doesnt blow fully cold, whether its a leak I am not sure. Will get it tested I think. And I have a 4WA on the cards too! Got a 12 month Mot with no advisories on it a couple of weeks ago which is always nice
:mrgreen:
then we just need some decent weather :eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Max V
Back