Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Accurate oil measurement 997.1 C2S

Schwaben

Silverstone
Hello, I bought my 997.1 last week and am stumped with oil measurement. I've trawled websites and cannot find a consistent answer so hoping that there is an accepted 'truth'. On picking up car it had a replaced AOS and I filled oil up as it was on min bar. I checked when cold, first thing in morning on level drive. After a short drive when again cold measurement was one bar down, however on checking after a subsequent drive and post 5 min wait (engine was warm) it read full. Next day when cold it read one bar down.

I do not want to over fill but concerned about over use of oil. Can you please educate me on which reading to trust. I note the manual says that car checks automatically when refuelling so car is obviously warm. Others say do it when cold. V confused newbie who misses analogue dipsticks. Thanks.

i always run from one from the max level or to max level.

needs to be on flat surface to measure plus if you can for a run not all the oil will have settled to the place it needs to be.

As above. Engine hot after a good run, but give it a minute to settle.

Gauge is usually very good. I run mine at max which is actually one segment down from top, so one empty segment showing is max.

Not that I've had to top-up in between services for years. :thumb:

Thanks. So concensus is to measure post run after indicated 5minutes wait? For note, I do measure at the same place on near flat driveway.

Hot to cold, I find on mine is one segment or bar ( display NOT pressure), so I fill and check cold to one bar below full and then when hot it indicates full. Beware even the slightest slope, if you have a nearly flat drive take the car for a run and park it on the drive, wait 5 minutes, check oil. Take it for another run, park it on the drive in the opposite direction, wait 5 then compare readings, you may well be surprised! Long winded I know but you only need to go through it once. My drive though ostensibly flat has a difference of 2 bars depending on drive in or reverse in!

jl-c said:
Hot to cold, I find on mine is one segment or bar ( display NOT pressure), so I fill and check cold to one bar below full and then when hot it indicates full. Beware even the slightest slope, if you have a nearly flat drive take the car for a run and park it on the drive, wait 5 minutes, check oil. Take it for another run, park it on the drive in the opposite direction, wait 5 then compare readings, you may well be surprised! Long winded I know but you only need to go through it once. My drive though ostensibly flat has a difference of 2 bars depending on drive in or reverse in!

Interesting. Your 1 bar difference between hot and cold tallies with my experience. For consistency I'll park in same spot and carry out reading after run with warm engine.

:welcome: to 911uk Schwaben.

That gauge is only measuring the final 1.5 litre of oil in your engine so the single bar variance that you're experiencing is only about 0.2 litres.

As long as it stays in the middle of those min/max lines on the gauge I wouldn't be concerned.

me&my997 said:
Confused now :? i did with previous 911's & do with current 997 check the oil before each & every drive :dont know: never bother as the car goes away post drive :oops: have i got it back to front :eek:

that works fine as long as it shows 1 segment below full :D

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DD77
Back