Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

window problem

brownspeed

So driving into work this morning, winding the driver side window up following a cheery good morning to security- it made a graunching noise. sounded like something was in the window track and it sent itself back down.
when i parked up- i opened the door and tried again; it made the same noise then stopped altogether. i was able to drag it into position by hand.
I'm guessing cable failure; what's the consensus?
.................her timing is impeccable! :nooo:

Yes defdo - need a new rugulator.

rugulator; i'm thinning on top but have never considered one if these before!
Is the regulator supplied with the cable? definitely sounds like a cable either going or gone.

It's the cable and track it runs in. See here:

Fensterheber-fuer-Porsche-997-987-VERSTAeRKT-MIT-KUGELLAGERN-LINKS-nicht-zutreffend-1-110867.jpg

If you buy a cable for a boxter you can replace it yourself. I know, I did it on mine, but beware, keep the metal adjuster piece with serrated edge and it is a major BITCH to do! If I have to do it again I will buy the complete assembly :grin:

Alex said:
It's the cable and track it runs in. See here:

Fensterheber-fuer-Porsche-997-987-VERSTAeRKT-MIT-KUGELLAGERN-LINKS-nicht-zutreffend-1-110867.jpg
Thanks Alex; does anyone know if this has a part number? I'll chance my arm that the parts dept is open tomorrow, I expect they'll be minimum manned so want as much info s possible to combat pissed off OPC employee if needed

Part number is 987 542 076 00

You may want to replace the door membrane as once removed the seal is broken and you can end up with soggy door cards :x

Try to reuse the membrane if you can as they are about £180+vat I think. You are better off getting x10 spare clips as they can equally cause the membrane to be compromised if not reset and seated correctly in place when the door card is refitted ie the lower ones form part of the waterproof seal with the membrane. If the membrane seal is compromised on refitting you can use a silicon sealant as you only need to seal the lower half ;-) ps you can't test it without the door card in place as you need the clips in place so you just have to fit it all back and run a hose over the window when the door is closed to check to see if the lower carpet gets wet :thumb:

yep regulator. went on my gts this week, same day as my 993 DME failed!

Remember to take the little stop out of the bottom, its the same part for a boxster and 911. The 911 needs the little window stop bung to be removed, if its not then the window wont go all the way down.

Guess how I found out about this :lol:

+1 :grin:

I've had no joy getting OPC to answer the phone. has anyone successfully installed not OPC replacement unit? if so - where did it come from?( I AM aware that some of these may ot fit and don't want a day of buggeration making it work.)

ECP

Epilogue (In true "streets of San Fransisco" style); due to Christmas constraints, awful weather and going on a ski holiday I finally got around to this a couple of weeks back. Collected the regulator from ECP, wrestled with the door furniture and wiring to get the old one out, only to find the replacement was the wrong bolt hole spacing (obvs couldn't tell until I stripped the original out), so ordered up another (there were 2 listed against my car and yes I used the part number) so had to rebuild the door with a length of wood holding the glass up. Took the first back and got the replacement and went to war again, only to find this wouldn't fit either; right bolt centres but the hub would not match up with the hole in the membrane.
money refunded by ECP and ordered one from Porsche which arrived this week.
this one fitted with no problems except that the continuous window attachments appears to have mover the marking tape on the window, so it all needs to come out to adjust the glass position (its about 5mm too far forwards) it'll be a summer job now.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
911tt1
Back