Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 turbo engine removal DIY - engine refresh and new turbos

Off topic - Rabbitstew what else besides the coolers have 9E done to get you the 585whp?
Thanks and Merry Christmas to all!

Thanks for the comments guys. Hopefully it will help someone else out who is in the sh*t with their turbo!!

Just waiting for the weather to pick up a little to go cruising, also got a headlight level sensor arm to fit, and a C203 steering wheel electronic control unit fault (PN 997.618.125.03), and also under Front body module - 8032 code - compression angle sensor front - PN 997 610 104 11

Not sure if the second one relates to my headlight level fix; will take it for a good drive as soon as its dry and update

darkhorse said:
Thanks for the comments guys. Hopefully it will help someone else out who is in the sh*t with their turbo!!

Just waiting for the weather to pick up a little to go cruising, also got a headlight level sensor arm to fit, and a C203 steering wheel electronic control unit fault (PN 997.618.125.03), and also under Front body module - 8032 code - compression angle sensor front - PN 997 610 104 11

Not sure if the second one relates to my headlight level fix; will take it for a good drive as soon as its dry and update

Well, I fitted the new headlight levelling sensor arm assembly and went for a good drive with Durametric hooked up. After some googling it seems the PASM code can clear after a short drive. Happens after battery removal; and it did clear, I cleared other ones that lingered after the battery removal and I have a fault free car now on Durametric.. . All live data looks spot on. Just got to wait for some decent weather and go on some longer trips and see whats next!

Backday said:
Great news. Now go and enjoy your " new" car 8)

Thanks Backday! Yes it will be nice to hopefully get some fun driving it now!
Got plans for a front end going over next, looks almost pleasant compared to all the other jobs I did . Want to check the front rads, maybe fit some mesh grill and a few other bits. Will update the thread

Another update on this. I wasn't getting boost correctly at all, so did a boost pressure test. Found a leak between a coupler, but more importantly the intercooler I replaced was p*ssing air out...!!!
So I took the intercooler off RH or OS in the UK and directly tested it. It was like trying to pressurise earths atmosphere :hand:

So, luckily I had ordered one from autodoc as I didn't know kozzi was going to kindly send me one at that time. It was about £350 which is a lot cheaper than from OPC and its identical. I fitted that as I was going to return it, boost pressure test up to 25psi. Held like a beast.

On to more test drives... whooooaaa steady on cowboy :mrgreen: very rapid but there is a slight hesitation when its floored hard WOT, no fault codes which is a pain .
Its fine in normal driving or if gradual throttle is applied t *its been mapped as it was doing 20psi).I have been speaking to a very well respected 996/997t tuner in the USA who has been very helpful and going through the logs.

I am investigating at present and going through stuff but first on the list is O2 sensors as lambda is a bit funky on one bank. Fuel pressure is 3.5 bar at idle. No vacuum leaks.
I have been running it with live logging and will update when I get to the bottom of it. Done about 100 miles in it since it was back together, drives beautifully apart from this final niggle, will be happy to be scorching round in it in Summer

Pleased to report the car is now running at 110%.
It turns out after replacing the O2 sensors the car is running and driving like new; well, quicker in fact as it is mapped with an ES motors map I am told by the US tuner who has looked at the map. I also replaced the Postcat O2 sensors for good measure as the heat insulation was torn on one of them and a wire was exposed.
So 4 new Bosch Lambda sensors (pre cat with blue lead, post cat with black lead) and all was very well in the 997 turbos world.
Just goes to show, how funky a bad O2 sensor can make a car behave (think backfire and bad hesitation under WOT!). I anticipate this as being the last post to this thread. Any further jobs I will start another thread as this full refresh/rebuild is now complete.

Last edited:
Excellent result DH after all your efforts not cheap those bloody 02 sensors I have replaced all mine with the new exhaust I fitted, time to go and enjoy it now :thumb:

Gazc2 said:
Excellent result DH after all your efforts not cheap those bloody 02 sensors I have replaced all mine with the new exhaust I fitted, time to go and enjoy it now :thumb:
Cheers Gazc2 :thumb:
I've been looking at some upgrades now... must resist lol

Really enjoyed this thread, thanks for making the effort to put it on the forum. Soon be spring for you to enjoy all that work !

fastlowe said:
Really enjoyed this thread, thanks for making the effort to put it on the forum. Soon be spring for you to enjoy all that work !

Thanks fastlowe. Hopefully it will spur someone else to do their own work rather than get their wallet emptied by an Indy garage or OPC. Appreciate not many will go to these lengths but it shows what can be done with axle stands, an engine crane and a few jacks. All paying off now though, I can't stop driving the car , love it :D

Turbo engine rebuild

Hi Darkhorse, excellent write up. I have just completed the same thing on my 996TT. All your issues sounded very familiar.

I also had a nightmare with all the turbo oil lines, everything was seized in - I wish I had just cut the lines and used connectors to join the SS pipes later. SS lines into alloy castings only leads to major problems later in life.

I also changed all the coolant hoses as two were found with the outer sheath split (the two which were buried in the depths of the engine with only access possible once the engine was out). I also had all the coolant hose connectors welded in place by Ken at 9E as I'd also read all the horror stories about them coming undone. Like you I could only get one of them to come out, the other 6 were solid, even after hours of heating and pulling/twisting etc.

So I also changed every o-ring while I was at it, the plugs and coil packs, expansion tank, temperature sensors (it was while trying to repair the temp sensor I discovered that two of the coolant hoses were about to fail ).

The turbos looked a bit iffy but were working fine so I've left them along with the intercoolers. The intercooler frames and some of the braces/anti-roll bar etc all had to be de-rusted and painted along with some inner wheel arch painting.

6 months later, once it was all back together it ran perfectly, then 2 days later it developed a leak on the transfer case - I was gutted !. Managed to repair it with the engine still in place, just needed to lower it as much as possible. Not much space in there. The leak was from a small aluminium connector tube which has an o-ring at either end. This is where you also discover getting hold of the two Transfer case gaskets isn't easy as Porsche don't sell them.

What I've learnt are these simple little jobs are never straight forward and always grow arms and legs...but can be overcome, it just takes longer than planned as always.

Seems a long time ago that I did all that... Good work, yes, I can imagine 996tt will have very similar issues. Did you come across any parts shortages?

I know that several of the 997tt turbo lines are NLA currently and it is causing havoc for people that are needing work completing that involves replacing them.
I think theres quite a few parts not available currently from speaking to my local opc parts guru

I managed to source all my parts from Design 911 and Rose Passion. This was at the start of the year so I think there was any real supply issues then unlike now.

jer said:
I managed to source all my parts from Design 911 and Rose Passion. This was at the start of the year so I think there was any real supply issues then unlike now.

Ahh right. Not sure if the parts are the same, but Some 997tt parts have been mostly out of production since not long after I finished my car..! they ran out of some turbo lines, and I dont believe they have sorted it yet which is a joke. Im sure theres a few on here waiting for them...

Sidenote: My thread may get revived soon, as Im considering some upgrades

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
barrywhite
Back