Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

DSC Sport Plug and Play PASM upgrade

T8 said:
-- 997 -- said:
Maybe Ken and the guys from TPC racing Lied to me after speaking to them?

I had many offers for a DSC from a turbo as cheap as £650, why didnt i buy it?

:?

I was only trying to help.

Personally I'd ask Ken the question again but that's up to you. :bye:

Hahaaa, no worries matey :thumb: shame there all different, had so many opportunities to buy for cheap but i couldnt touch them etc.....

Maybe i sell up and get a Turbo, this way i get the DCS for cheap.. :grin: :grin:

Cheers ..

J

--997-- I'd still ask the question of Ken again.

That e-mail from Tom Chan refers to "a different module" but I think he actually means that for purchase purposes the 997.1 requires a different package, i.e a module + an accelerometer.

The DSC website clearly states what is needed for a 997.1 Carrera.

https://www.dscsport.com/product/dsc-vplug-n-play/

The V1 is 'plug and play' for 997.1 Turbos and all Gen 2 cars.

For it to work on a 997.1 Carrera it just needs an accelerometer.

I'm pretty sure that there is no specific 997.1 controller.

T8 said:

That e-mail from Tom Chan refers to "a different module" but I think he actually means that for purchase purposes the 997.1 requires a different package, i.e a module + an accelerometer.

That's how it reads to me too.

Legzr1 said:
T8 said:

That's how it reads to me too.

Correct.

What Ken told me that the gen1 will need the accel box fitted to work, this i know!! the gen2 has the accel box fitted already aswell as turbo!, But im saying is the actual DSC pasm box has different software, there are 3 different softwares, this is why when ordering you give the car details so the correct type goes to you to fit to the car.

Turbo, Gen1 and Gen2 each one works on a different canbus speed.

If i fitted the gen2 or the turbo DSC with the accel.it wont work, has to be specific software type!

Hope that makes any sence.

Cheers.

J

-- 997 -- said:
What Ken told me that the gen1 will need the accel box fitted to work, this i know!! the gen2 has the accel box fitted already aswell as turbo!, But im saying is the actual DSC pasm box has different software, there are 3 different softwares, this is why when ordering you give the car details so the correct type goes to you to fit to the car.

If i fitted the gen2 or the turbo DSC with the accel.it wont work, has to be specific software type!

I've pm'd Ken referring him to this thread.

My understanding was that the V1 was interchangeable between all 987/997 cars subject to an accelerometer also being fitted to normally aspirated Gen1 cars.

I've never heard about there being different software within the module itself but if that's true I'm more than happy to be educated. :thumb:

T8 said:
-- 997 -- said:

I've pm'd Ken referring him to this thread.

My understanding was that the V1 was interchangeable between all 987/997 cars subject to an accelerometer also being fitted to normally aspirated Gen1 cars.

I've never heard about there being different software within the module itself but if that's true I'm more than happy to be educated. :thumb:

Ok so with the 987 over to 997, that i dont know about, im refering to the 997 - Gen1, Gen2 and Turbo. Possibly may work but best ask ken on that am sure ken will enlighten it!

Cheers

J

Essentially what has been said is correct. I think some of the problem is that the Sku used is more confusing - it would be better if they had a part number to indicate a different car.

So

997.1 Turbo and 997.2 Turbo (DSCv1) is interchangeable
997.1 is not interchangeable with 997.2
997.1 cars always need accel if non turbo.
997.1 non turbo is not interchangeable with 997.1 turbo and vise versa

Generally, but it is not always the case, 987.1 and 997.1 is interchangeable as is 987.2 and 997.2.

To be clear when we say interchangeable we mean that the firmware does not need to be updated. We cannot update the firmware - we have to send it back to TPC. However, the project file (configuration) may need to be changed which we can do. As an example a 991.1gt3 and 981 gt4 has the same firmware, but in order to swop from one to the other you need to update the dsc with the correct project file.

The reason we ask for the make / model registration is for the above. Also, we want to know the information because many times I will load a custom project file on to the unit supplied. The reason behind this is because we have found in the example of cab cars that the spring rates are softer than coupe generally and therefore the stock project file makes the car too soft especially on rebound. Again as another example 991.2 Carrera T has softer springs than say a 991.2 GTS/S so we make a change for that.

Ken

Thanks for the clarification Ken - much obliged. :thumb:

It'll certainly make the market for secondhand units clearer as I doubt that many will have taken the trouble to research as thoroughly as --997--.

Can you confirm that the unit fitted in my 997.1 Turbo is interchangeable with a 997.2 Carrera as it seems to work ok but came in a box bought directly from 9e marked 997.2. I queried it at the time and one of your team told me it didn't matter as it was the same unit.

Put simply. Are there just two versions?

T8 said:
Thanks for the clarification Ken - much obliged. :thumb:

It'll certainly make the market for secondhand units clearer as I doubt that many will have taken the trouble to research as thoroughly as --997--.

Can you confirm that the unit fitted in my 997.1 Turbo is interchangeable with a 997.2 Carrera as it seems to work ok but came in a box bought directly from 9e marked 997.2. I queried it at the time and one of your team told me it didn't matter as it was the same unit.

Put simply. Are there just two versions?
997.2 turbo and 997.1 turbo is the same hence the label 997.2 and yes that will work in 997.2

Ken

Updated with reference to 997.2 units

I have updated text below to take into account if you have a 997.2 unit.

Essentially what has been said is correct. I think some of the problem is that the Sku used is more confusing - it would be better if they had a part number to indicate a different car.

So

997.2 - the unit is the same for all cars and is backward compatible with 997.1 Turbo only.

Generally, but it is not always the case, 987.1 and 997.1 is interchangeable as is 987.2 and 997.2.

To be clear when we say interchangeable we mean that the firmware does not need to be updated. We cannot update the firmware - we have to send it back to TPC. However, the project file (configuration) may need to be changed which we can do. As an example a 991.1gt3 and 981 gt4 has the same firmware, but in order to swop from one to the other you need to update the dsc with the correct project file.

The reason we ask for the make / model registration is for the above. Also, we want to know the information because many times I will load a custom project file on to the unit supplied. The reason behind this is because we have found in the example of cab cars that the spring rates are softer than coupe generally and therefore the stock project file makes the car too soft especially on rebound. Again as another example 991.2 Carrera T has softer springs than say a 991.2 GTS/S so we make a change for that.

Ken

Re: Updated with reference to 997.2 units

996ttalot said:
I have updated text below to take into account if you have a 997.2 unit.

So

997.2 - the unit is the same for all cars and is backward compatible with 997.1 Turbo only.

Ken

Hi Ken,

I have a 987.2 and have been offered a DSC controller from a 997.2 turbo. I wonder if you could tell me if it will work on my car?

Thanks in advance.

But I thought ALL 997.2 and 987.2 cars could use the same DSC module ie common firmware.....it was just the programmable 'mapping" which may need to be changed (you can do that on your computer with the free software and configurations they provide on the website ...or customer design your own)......ie I'm sure my 987.2 unit was originally in a 997.2 turbo :?:

Does Kens statement above not support that ie

'997.1 Turbo and 997.2 Turbo (DSCv1) is interchangeable
997.2 - the unit is the same for all cars and is backward compatible with 997.1 Turbo only. "

So with reference to the first and last lines ......if a 997.1 turbo can use the DSC from a 997.2 turbo + the 997.2 is the same for all cars and is backward comparable with the 997.1 turbo......does that not mean a 997.2 turbo DSC will work with any 9x7.2 car including the 987.2 .....thats the logic I read and I'm almost sure from memory my 2nd hand unit was from an owner who had a 997.2 turbo (not 100% though)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mapp
Back