Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Winter Battery Charge

l5tuy

Merry Xmas All

I'm in the process of packing the car up for a couple of months which includes placing the battery on trickle charge, are there any precautions I should be taking or any common problems that are instigated by having the battery disconnected for a prolonged period of time?

Appreciate any feedback.

Stu

Good q.

The car won't be locked or alarmed without a battery, neither will the electronic bonet and engine covers operate.
I'd check you've got a spare battery to open the bonnet again (or e emergency release cable is where it should be. Expect to get a handover reset to re-enable headlight wash, heated seats and so on.
You'll also need to re-teach end stops for Windows, roof and seats.

On balance, of you've got a trickle charger and it's an option, leave the battery in and charge it in situ.
Hth

jonno_ said:
Good q.

The car won't be locked or alarmed without a battery, neither will the electronic bonet and engine covers operate.
Hth

Indeed, so a CTek or similar battery maintainer is the best option. You can charge it via the cigarette lighter in the cabin, and if you look at the door rubber (trailing edge, bottom corner) there is a little notch in it that you line up with your extension cord when closing the door. The car is thus powered and you can lock and arm normally. If it is garaged then that is ideal, if on a drive you will need an external waterproof power socket though. If it is on the street then tricky as you have a trip hazard to connect it across the pavement. Best to mostly have it in the car and just pull it in for a charge for a day every fortnight.

As to the original question - if it has a tracker then the battery in that will bleed out if it is unpowered for an extended period but nothing else really springs to mind.

C-TEK is recommended if you've got deep pockets. Personally having short arms but deep pockets I went with a cheaper £20 option off eBay. It works a treat and has done for years. Also doubles as a charger.

I think Jonttt holds the 993 record for the longest battery ever to be on charge in an air-cooled Porsche. He's just waiting for Guinness to give him a call :roll:

With the C-tek, and more specifically the cheaper charters, can you connect these direct to the battery with the car terminals still connected? 230v mains onto 12v circuit (car)?

How does the cigarette charge work, mod the original charger?

Thanks again

Stu

Believe this to be correct...

Check to see if your cig lighter has power when the car is switched off, most do, if so you can plug the Ctek into it and have the cable exiting through one of the doors. No modding required.

As for having the Ctek connected directly to the batt, you can, I have done it on both of my cars for sustained periods. The only caveat being, by doing so on the newer cars, you are bypassing the cars own battery monitoring systems.

Not a prob on my leggy Boxster originator :)

The trickle chargers are designed to be fixed permanently onto the batteyr connection terminals via the pig tail lrad. That way you can trace the lead out to where you want it and just connect via the 2-pin connector.

I bought This one when they were £14.99 (price seems to fluctuate) but with over 7,300 sold they can't ba all that bad.

OK the Illuminati don't like them as a C-Tek is as essential as a 993 wiper widget :roll: but this one shows you the state of charge and the voltage of the battery :thumb:

I know it's not standard in the UK but I have a DEFA SmartCharge integrated into the car, along with the engine block heater.

You just plug it in to the external (weather proof) socket hidden in the front air intake, so no need for a direct connection to the battery, froot, engine bay, cigar lighter and all that stuff and it keeps the battery and alarm all happy.

Food for thought perhaps.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robertcloftus
Back