Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Strut top recommendations

AdamD

Hi,

I've decided the next project for my anniversary 996 is going to be a suspension refresh.

Originally I was planning to simply replace like for like (M030) but having read the great reviews about Ohlins R & T, think I may as well opt for those given the relatively small difference in price.

I'm planning to do the work myself and then get someone to set up the geo but the first job is to source the required parts.

Obviously I'll be changing the strut tops and bearings while I'm at it, so can I simply use Sach items or should I be looking at using OPC? Also, I'm guessing I can use regular C2 strut tops and don't need to replace with M030 strut tops if I'm going down the aftermarket route?

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

...Prior to refreshing my front suspension following a snapped spring I contacted centregravity and Chris advised OPC for strut mounts as the cheaper stuff is crap quality...I took his advice...

He said that the bearings rarely fail thus can be cleaned up,regreased and refitted...

MO30 Strut tops are the same as standard strut tops, despite what Design 911 would have you believe. The X75 strut tops are the only ones that differ from standard.

Martin996RSR said:
MO30 Strut tops are the same as standard strut tops, despite what Design 911 would have you believe. The X75 strut tops are the only ones that differ from standard.

Eh? No such thing as a M030 top mount & IX75 is diff lock

IX74 is the Exclusive Sports Suspension which have their own front top mounts

IX73 is the Turbo Sports Suspension, as fitted to optioned turbos & C4S, which have the same mounts as IX74

Anniversary cars are 2WD, it may have the IX74 option? :dont know:

Sorry, Billy, I meant X74. I hope the error hasn't thrown the guy asking the question.

I know there is no such thing as an M030 top mount, it's just that D911 list an M030 top mount on their website for silly money despite some of us knowing there is no specific M030 top mount, and the M030 setup just uses a completely normal stock mount

Martin996RSR said:
Sorry, Billy, I meant X74. I hope the error hasn't thrown the guy asking the question.

I know there is no such thing as an M030 top mount, it's just that D911 list an M030 top mount on their website for silly money despite some of us knowing there is no specific M030 top mount, and the M030 setup just uses a completely normal stock mount

Correct, although worth running your VIN through OPC just to check :D

Looking at their site it looks like they are confusing IX74 as being the same as M030 :dont know:

Thanks for all the replies and for clearing up the confusion around M030 top mounts. You were quite right, I was pricing up parts on the D911 website hence the reason for my question.

You might want to check what the R&Ts come with: mine (albeit not on a 911) came with the strut tops /plates from à–hlins.

I've managed to secure one of the last January Saturday clinic slots with Centre Gravity. I thought it prudent to get their view on what actually needs replacing rather than needlessly buying kit because I think the car would benefit from it.

Since my original post, I've read a few threads about the lifespan of the factory dampers with some reporting they are still operating well at 150k? Seems hard to believe but we will see.

I've managed to secure one of the last January Saturday clinic slots with Centre Gravity. I thought it prudent to get their view on what actually needs replacing rather than needlessly buying kit because I think the car would benefit from it.

Since my original post, I've read a few threads about the lifespan of the factory dampers with some reporting they are still operating well at 150k? Seems hard to believe but we will see.

It wouldn't surprise me if the fronts could live that long, but the rears would be totally shagged by that mileage.

AdamD said:

Me too... at CG on 4th Jan :D

Unless a previous owner changed them, my dampers have 115k on them so it will be interesting to see what the test rig reveals...

If you've not read the latest 911&PW 996 suspension test then I'd recommend it - it seems the standard Ohlins springs are too firm for road use.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back