Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Opinions on an IMS failure..

DarthFaker said:
So I made a little video with my thoughts on IMS bearings, it covers more than I can be bothered typing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MOvFby-NCo

If you can bear watching a northerner rant for 8 minutes, and let me know what you think.

James.

Some interesting thoughts there James, but please don't keep clicking your biro in the next video! :what:

Are you going for an EPS cylindrical bearing?

Your comments on more bearings failing as the cars get older is contrary to everything I've heard... what changed your mind on that one? Looks like you were lucky that your intermediate shaft didn't let go and do loads of damage...

...a similar story to mine...immaculate FOPC history car at 69k miles...ims failed resulting in £14k rebuild...

Prior to the failure I spoke with Hartech whom said ignore the hype and drive the car!

My advice to anyone thinking of buying one is buy one with a rebuilt motor unless you can afford a £10k plus bill...because failure can't be predicted !

Equally I wouldn't touch one with more than about 80 ish k that hadn't been rebuilt because of the main bearing wear issues.

I won't mention borescore because you can at least detect this...

My prediction is that as the years pass anything that hasn't had a rebuilt motor will be worth peanuts ... why would one take the risk?

Robertb said:
DarthFaker said:
So I made a little video with my thoughts on IMS bearings, it covers more than I can be bothered typing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MOvFby-NCo

If you can bear watching a northerner rant for 8 minutes, and let me know what you think.

James.

Some interesting thoughts there James, but please don't keep clicking your biro in the next video! :what:

Are you going for an EPS cylindrical bearing?

Your comments on more bearings failing as the cars get older is contrary to everything I've heard... what changed your mind on that one? Looks like you were lucky that your intermediate shaft didn't let go and do loads of damage...

Because all things mechanical fail eventually and nothing gets better in a mechanical system without intervention.

There's a statistic for bearings called an L10 life which is a 10% failure rate at any given number of rotations at a given load and speed.

All bearings fail eventually, but as external influences, heat, poor lubrication and most significantly age/wear stack against any bearing, it will eventually fail.

These aren't pressure fed plain bearings with no surface contact, they're a ball bearing.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back