Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Turbo maintenance/refurb

I had a dripping radaitor so it was time to move to the front end and start stripping it out I had previously used "The Rocks" guide to cleaning the radiators which gives you a step by step to get the front bumper off there are 2 spring loaded clips beside the headlights which are a real pain to pull out.

Now I cleaned these out about 2 years ago again it wasn't pretty when I got the covers off :sad: I don't like the look of the zunnsport grills however may have to bite the bullet or come up with another solution.

So now have the drivers side Rad and condensors removed which was all pretty straightforward I am also changing the middle rad but that's 2 morrows job to get that out.

Attachments

• img_20191207_123734_839.jpg
    img_20191207_123734_839.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 3,055
  • img_20191207_124218_190.jpg
    img_20191207_124218_190.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 3,054
  • img_20191207_124628_562.jpg
    img_20191207_124628_562.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 3,054
  • img_20191207_152407_186.jpg
    img_20191207_152407_186.jpg
    210.9 KB · Views: 3,054
Gazc2 said:
No "O" rings pictures look a bit like o rings but its actually the thread on the plug :thumb:

Ah yes, I see it now. Looks like its making good progress. Work list still growing lol

darkhorse said:
Gazc2 said:
No "O" rings pictures look a bit like o rings but its actually the thread on the plug :thumb:

Ah yes, I see it now. Looks like its making good progress. Work list still growing lol

Think I am on the home stretch got the horns changed out today which was Why I started this in the first place :nooo: also got the center RAD changed out so seeing some light at the end of the tunnel.

you not got the beast fired up yet ?

Keep getting within touching distance then finding something else! :O Was putting the intercoolers back on, thought I would pressure test them, and found that the side with the dodgy turbo had some small holes in the core .....

Cue a set of aftermarket ebay specials that didnt fit the frames correctly (they were decent quality though!) , then a set of good used oem that turned out to be from a LHD car (the locating lugs on one end are wrong).
So I decided to strip and repaint the frames (+weld new studs on for the heatshields as I had the time with all the time waiting for incorrect parts), new hardware on them and now waiting for a new OEM intercooler on tuesday. I've even got a wheel on one side at the back as that side is done :D ..as soon as the new intercooler is on, it will be start up time. Will update my thread . Hoping it will be test drive time then and then I can get to enjoy the car a bit before the next job I find!

That all sounds a bit frustrating with the intercoolers however your not far away now :thumb:

I ordered up some bits and pieces from OPC some prices below for reference

4wd controller oil 00004330540 £30.70 + vat (1L)

Sill clips 99950798640 £3.48 + vat I broke some of these when I pulled the sills off

Clamp that the sill clips attach to (mine were all fairly rusty) 6 (although Pet shows 9) per side £1.31 + vat

Speednut 91242501 £0.39 + vat

I have ordered some mesh to fit on the inside Its slightly bigger than I wanted however the smaller stuff was going to take a month from China so I will wait and see what it it looks like should get it next week so that will be a job to do over the holidays. The rennline kit looks just the job however £300 for 3 bits of mesh and some clips :eek:

Gazc2 said:
I have ordered some mesh to fit on the inside Its slightly bigger than I wanted however the smaller stuff was going to take a month from China so I will wait and see what it it looks like should get it next week so that will be a job to do over the holidays. The rennline kit looks just the job however £300 for 3 bits of mesh and some clips :eek:

Indeed, £300 is Porsche tax and no mistake!!
Look forward to seeing how that turns out. It will be on my to do list I think as well! Still waiting on a darned intercooler at my end!

Got the sub frame bases back from the powder coaters so will get them refitted tomorrow. The shorter front ones were meant to be silver and they done them black not to worry a lot better than they were.

Attachments

• brace_189.jpg
    brace_189.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 2,764
Gazc2 said:
Got the sub frame bases back from the powder coaters so will get them refitted tomorrow. The shorter front ones were meant to be silver and they done them black not to worry a lot better than they were.

Looking good. Regards the long ones, are you replacing the clips with threads that the brake cooling ducts screw into? I wanted to replace mine but not sure if they are available without the crossbar piece?

The clips were in ok condition and have survived the blasting/coating so I`m not going to change them, they don't show on PET as a separate item so would probably need a hunt on ebay for an alternative.

Sub frame struts refitted all looking a bit tidier, and the middle and right hand side RADs changed out and new AC condensors fitted, just waiting on the vacuum pump to arrive to fill with coolant and do a pressure test on the system.

I have a new drier to fit as well although haven't tracked this down yet I am assuming its up in the scuttle area beside the battery ?

Attachments

• rads_421.jpg
    rads_421.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 2,681
Picked up the liquid gold from Porsche just before xmas so got the all wheel drive controller oil changed out like the diffs it didn't look to bad the new stuff is very light coloured and seems quite runny, so that is all the underfloor fluids changed out.

I removed the old sill clips gave the sills a coating of ACF 50 and stuck the new clips on, still got the pass side to do. The paint on the sill is not scratched its light from the flash.

Attachments

• clips_2_115.jpg
    clips_2_115.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 2,505
  • sill_clips_368.jpg
    sill_clips_368.jpg
    328 KB · Views: 2,505
Good progress. And on boxing day too!
Are you planning on vacuum filling it?

I tried the vacuum route however first time I pressurised it there was a leak as it wouldn't hold which is a bit of a dilemma how do you find a leak when there is no water or air pressure in the system ? anyway checked what I could and nothing obvious, the cheap Nielson vacuum pump I got from ebay didn't last long somewhere between putting it on the car once and laying it down on the bench the small knurled part on the release valve sheared off !.

So back to square one , filled the system ran the car with the heater on this highlighted where my leak was the bottom hose on the drivers side rad was not seated properly which was quickly fixed I kept checking for heat in the front hoses giving them a squeeze to pump and feel the coolant moving ,done this a couple of times topping up as I went this all seemed fine got heat in the car and hoses and no leaks so hopefully good to go however will need to take it for a run and re-check.

how did you get on filling yours ?

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mchass
Back