Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

First 911 - Early 2004 3.6 Gen 1

Putting engine worries aside, I have wanted to address my cars ride height for a while now as the arch gaps are HUGE :lol:

My car has Factory PASM so should be 10mm lower than standard, but it doesnt look it... anyways coilovers are out for me as the PASM compatible ones are silly money, so springs it is.

Reading up seems to throw 4 options:
H&R
Eibach
Techart (Made by Eibach but to Techarts spec)
Vogtland

Vogtland are just rubbish VAG nonsense IMO :wink:
I've had H&R springs before on my Intergrale, and they were too low and too hard. Reports seem to say this is also the case on a 997 so they are out too..
Techarts seem to get good press, but they are pricey
I have always had good results with Eibach, so I started investigating them.

The 'Pro sport' kit has the part number E10-72-007-01-22, and should be compatible with PASM cars, although Design 911 says it isnt....
They have them listed on their site, and once you take off the 5% 911uk discount they end up at £343 delivered...

Further investigation of the Eibach brochure shows that the springs used in the 'Pro' kit are:
Front 117200701VA
Rear 117200701HA

And it turns out you can order them separately, at a considerable saving... So via Autodoc I got the 4 springs from the kit for £166 delivered - over half the price of Design911! :eek:

so IO ordered and they duly arrived in a parcel big enough to make even Amazon blush... if the weather isnt too arctic this weekend they may go on...

Attachments

• img_0921_107.jpg
    img_0921_107.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 5,214
  • img_0920_808.jpg
    img_0920_808.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 5,214
  • eibach_100.jpg
    eibach_100.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 5,214
As lowering these cars is very common I also suggest you add that to the alternative parts list as its a great find and will make it even higher up the to do list for guys. :thumb: :thumb:

Bit the bullet on the Fuch's replicas and went for Satin black. Might still paint the petals either gloss black or Basalt - not sure...
I asked for the refurbishers to only do the very outside lip polished, which brings the colour all the way out. To my mind theses wheels always look like cotton reels with just the centres painted, probably just an optical illusion, but they look too small when painted correctly IMO.
These have been powder coated in black, then the edges diamond cut, then a satin lacquer powder coated over the top to protect the rim and to dull it down from ultra shiny which again I personally do not like. Fine on a 60's 911, but not on a 997 IMO.

Have ordered some new centre caps and will spray them satin to match.

Massive thank you to the boys at Hertswheels for the service :thumb: If anyone wants their details give me a shout.
Really need to get the springs on now as that arch gap is HUGE! :floor:

:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

Attachments

• img_1022_997.jpg
    img_1022_997.jpg
    576.2 KB · Views: 5,061
  • img_1025_678.jpg
    img_1025_678.jpg
    622.9 KB · Views: 5,061
  • img_1023_358.jpg
    img_1023_358.jpg
    654.2 KB · Views: 5,061
  • img_1024_172.jpg
    img_1024_172.jpg
    735 KB · Views: 5,061
  • img_9065_532.jpg
    img_9065_532.jpg
    845.1 KB · Views: 5,061
Thefinn said:
Hertsdriver said:
Thefinn said:
You might not have realised but I bet your post cats sensors are connected to the opposite bank than the oem set up as they should be on the same side for the individual cat but the TG cats have the lambda holes in different places (look at the photo you posted of the old vs new) so they dont stretch to the correct connector. Some say this doesn't matter but for me it just didn't sit right that the ECU was getting the wrong readings so I made the cables. Have a look at my thread and i did a little walk through how to make them with parts from Ebay and a company for the connectors who I will try to dig out the details of. You might want to also use the cable clips I used to fix it to the back of the engine support bracket as this was a tidy solution that look quite oem. :thumb:

Good thread! Love a good diy build, always pick up info from these, eg idler bearing PNs & exhaust diy swap tips :)

Just an fyi on secondary lambdas, they only tell the ecu the cat converter performance, eg will flag a CEL if the cats go bad, so having them plugged into opposite sides will make no difference to running (except maybe when scanned the ecu will tell you the opposite side cat is broken lol. It's only the primary lambdas that measure fuel trim.

Beers!

bullet-proof_biscuit said:
Good thread! Love a good diy build, always pick up info from these, eg idler bearing PNs & exhaust diy swap tips :)

Just an fyi on secondary lambdas, they only tell the ecu the cat converter performance, eg will flag a CEL if the cats go bad, so having them plugged into opposite sides will make no difference to running (except maybe when scanned the ecu will tell you the opposite side cat is broken lol. It's only the primary lambdas that measure fuel trim.

Beers!

I have connected mine up the 'wrong' way around and it has certainly made no difference whatsoever, and as much as the OCD side of me would like them to be the correct way around, the skinflint in my begrudges paying for the longer cables to fix a problem that is only in my head :floor:

thanks for the comments - DIY or die! :thumbs:

Still haven't fitted the springs :( busy time of year for us dads of young'uns...

:floor:

Did get a delivery from China. Earlier in this thread I removed my 'carrera' badge from the bootlid and painted it black. Im happy with the finish on the badge itslef, but was never quite happy with the way I'd applied and trimmed the double sided tape, and now managed to track down a seller on aliexpress that stocks the larger badge as used on 996 & 997 (most sell the smaller 991 badge which looks a bit silly IMO), so I ordered one up and also ordered 2 sets of new wheel centres so I can paint them satin black to match the Fuchs replicas, wanted to try the silver/black as well as the traditional full colour badge. All in came to £56 delivered :thumb: ordered 20/11 arrived 3/12 will post a link in the alternative parts list if anyone wants to save a bit of cash (D911 sells the same badge for £51, and the Chinese replica wheel caps for £15 each!!!)

Attachments

• img_1321_665.jpg
    img_1321_665.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 4,719
Hi there,
when the engine was rebuilt I did ask about upgrading the IMS and RMS, but the reason only the clutch was done and no other bearings or upgrades were undertaken is that OPC said they would only fit the standard parts, and as there were no obvious signs of wear at the time it was advised not to change anything else.

I can also add some clarity to the very confusing information on the C2 / PASM ride height.

There are a variety of chassis options on the Carrera models. Firstly the standard, that sits 10mm higher than the C2S, even on PASM. PASM does not lower the car by 10mm and never has done, it is a common misconception and one created by slightly confusing documentation. The C2S comes with PASM as standard (we all know that), but is also 10mm lower than the C2. In addition to this there was a sports/chassis option that was even lower than the two standard models IIRC.
I agree, it looks like the gap in the wheel arch is too much on the C2 models. This was reduced somewhat with the upgrade from 18" wheels, when I put the 19s on the car.

This car looks like it has a fantastic new owner :) Don't lose heart and be confident that you have an exceptionally well looked after 997 ;-) any future proofing will give great peace of mind.

On another note, when these water cooled cars have come in to criticism over the engine rebuilds people seem to neglect to remember that air cooled are frequently rebuilt about the 100k mile mark as well. Also that borescoring is a natural side effect of using an engine, and can happen to most cars of any brand.

Another delivery :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Myself an Cannop took advantage of the black friday deal on 2 sets of new climate control buttons. I had previously refurbed mine myself with plastidip, and although they were ok, these are mint :thumb:

Although the site seemed to indicate it was american, shipping was from spain, so (for anyone thinking about doing this) no import duties as well which is a bonus! Can wait to get them sorted. Came out to exactly £60 a set.
PS the image is a bit blurry

Attachments

• img_1462_113.jpg
    img_1462_113.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 4,513
Blimey £60 for those two. Would be a good bit of extra pocket money for someone in the UK who put their mind to working out how to refurb them.

Robertb said:
Blimey £60 for those two. Would be a good bit of extra pocket money for someone in the UK who put their mind to working out how to refurb them.

Really?

They are normally £120 which I agree is way OTT, but I personally think £60 for the buttons outright (ie you dont have to do an exchange or send your own ones off and wait for them to come back) is pretty reasonable. Imagine how much it would cost from an OPC... :floor:
A company here in the uk does them for £85.... :dont know:

Good work on your car, also a new owner of a 997.1. Read with interest about the main bearings, mine's been re-built (non Hartech, new liners) about 15K ago - rushed off to check they had been replaced which they have (phew).

My drivers door seal has gone as well, after being previously repaired - so look like I'll be referring to this tread again.

Keep up the good work!

Been a while since I had an update, car is running well and I'm enjoyin git immensely :) :) :)

A while back I added an Apple carplay unit to replace the PCM and its been great, but it lacked DAB, so I snapped up a pioneer unit from a fellow forum user in the for sale section. Popped it in last week which meant I needed to add a DAB ariel, although they are not the greatest solution and Im not mad keen on things being stuck onto the glass I opted for a FIAMM windscreen mounted ariel mainly for ease of installation. Its working surprisingly well for a passive receiver, and its nice having the DAB option again. My old stereo (Alpine ILX 100) will be up for sale here shortly :thumb:

Also got a chance to install the renovated AC control switches which I got in the black Friday deal a while back, but somehow clonked the switch panel with a screwdriver and have scratched it, so it will all need to come back out again :floor:

Attachments

• img_2869_207.jpg
    img_2869_207.jpg
    376.1 KB · Views: 3,731

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back