Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Spare Key, alarms and all that....

Ah well, it was worth a try Graham.

It sounds like your key now does what my spare does, flashes quickly but no remote functions work.
As I've said on here before, even my Indy says just keep one key fully working and make sure the spare will physically open the car and start it in an emergency. Whichever one gets left in a drawer will no doubt stop working anyway.

They are shockingly bad. The previous owner of my old C2 had two new keys supplied and coded at Porsche for £380. Sod's law meant one packed in at just over a year old. Like I say it's a joke. :frustrated:

Good to try these things! I am going to call into an OPC and try and get the code to hand but most likely, leave the spare key in the cupboard!

Re: Another option

JTT said:
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/1139940-inexpensive-spare-key.html

This did cross my mind but it would render the alarm and immobiliser inop.

Very apt thread for me. I moved the car out the garage last night (been sat for a couple of weeks) and noticed my fob was working. I did the usual unlock and lock and it opened from the fob. #

Once the car was moved it wouldn't shut using the fob. Noticed the LED not really flashing, went to get spare but it flashed away doing jack *****. I also have two further spare metal keys sections and a spare fob. Again the fob flashes away and does nothing.
Tried the battery from others, resetting, reverse polarity etc so am I left with getting a new fob and getting all other spare programmed as well?

Billy Bumpsteer said:
TV8 said:
Good to try these things! I am going to cal
l into an OPC and try and get the code to hand but most likely, leave the spare key in the cupboard!

No chance!

Yep!

I spoke with a very helpful person at Brooklands Porsche today and they told me that if I don't have the tag that came with the car, it needs a new key and recoding. They said it is possible to recode the 997 onwards but not the 996!

They gave me a price of £200 plus the dreaded, which is less than some appear to have paid but unless I lose the other key or it stops working, isn't on the priority list.

coullstar said:
Very apt thread for me. I moved the car out the garage last night (been sat for a couple of weeks) and noticed my fob was working. I did the usual unlock and lock and it opened from the fob. #

Once the car was moved it wouldn't shut using the fob. Noticed the LED not really flashing, went to get spare but it flashed away doing jack *****. I also have two further spare metal keys sections and a spare fob. Again the fob flashes away and does nothing.
Tried the battery from others, resetting, reverse polarity etc so am I left with getting a new fob and getting all other spare programmed as well?

Resetting the ignition by pressing the key and turning plus doing the same a few times with the key in the door lock probably need to be explored.

I found this article and tried that as well - http://www.jmgporsche.co.uk/index.p...les-maintenance/item/234-996-986-alarm-primer

There was a suggestion about doing the 5 right, 5 left and 5 right again on one leg but I didn't try that, but feel free to do that and report back :lol:

Good luck sir!

Having had a read though the attached link -

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/1139940-inexpensive-spare-key.html

It seems the encryption on the key is Megamos Encrypto.

If you search for this you will find this:

https://keyline.it/en/transponder-technology/cloning-devices/884-decryptor-mini

Which is the tool you need to clone the transponder - this bit:

59e778741ed1fGKM_l.jpg

In the datasheet here:

https://keyline.it/uploads/file_uploads/files/884decryptormini_applications_02-17_82793_16737.pdf

It does claim to be compatible with 911s from 1998 onwards.

I contacted Keyline to see if they could let me know if anyone in London had this machine and if so could they get me in contact.

Alternatively it doesn't actually look that expensive - £220 +VAT +transponders....

There are 3 parts to a key for these ..

The key shank , it has to be matched to your car to turn the door and ignition barrels .

The Transmitter ( glass pill ) this needs to be coded to your car .. once coded it will allow the car to start . Any key from a 996/986 can be coded to start your car or coded to start any other car ad infinitum until it physically breaks .

Key fob .. a wireless transmission is the usual problem , this only unlocks the car remotely , this is programed using a one off 20 digit code on a tag attached to the fob .. it can only be done once ... if we enter the code incorrectly it kills the fob .. or rather it wont work on any car and can't be recoded ... its junk basically .

The fob as i understand it has a code which is sent to the car , the car recognises this code and unlocks the car .. the car then rolls the code onto a new set of numbers which the fob will then transmit the next time it is used .

Above 250 of this then the spare unused key will be beyond the code range and not work.

Various methods have been put forward on how to reset this code .. for me .. it never or very rarely seems to work and it's a new fob required i don't know why .

The fob can also go faulty and transmit garbage .. red light will still flash as its transmitting .. the car just looks at the message and says .. you want what ??? not unlocking for you pal .

In short .. the unlock function is what goes wrong for various reasons .. it CAN'T be reprogrammed using a tester ... some testers work via a clone system .. fine if it works in the first place but if not then it wont work.

This is just how i understand the system so probably not 100% correct but you get the idea .

I tend to say ... use the spare key now and then .

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SBSEA
Back