Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Geo - ''fast road'' or stock settings?

Lordjimimac

Monza
Hi all,
I'm finally getting round to having the techart springs fitted on my c4s.
GT-One are doing the work and I have the option of stock or 'fast road' geo.
If anyone has any advice or wisdom on that I'd be grateful.
The car is used weekly for a mix of driving - I enjoy the comfort of it on a long run but also weekend early morning / late night blasts.
Cheers
James

I would aim for stock, without camber plates you'll struggle to get more than -1.6 degrees of camber on the front anyway, maybe even less if the Techart are particularly low.

It's all a compromise too, a more aggressive set up will result in faster tyre wear but you won't really realise the benefits with the type of driving you do.

I had CoG do a fast road set up on my c2s. Much less understeer in turn, I prefer it over standard.

You'd really struggle to get a noticeable impact on understeer through geo on a stock 997, there simply isn't enough adjustment available.

If geo was really far out then having it corrected would feel more planted.

I had a modern Elise a little while ago, softening the front arb and fitting wider front tyres made it very neutral, geo would only be nths of a degree improvement by comparison.

Giff the stock geo wasn't out by much at all but there was a difference on how early the car would start to understeer from low speed accelerating around a bend before and after the adjustment. Nothing crazy but noticeable.

Suspension is not really my area of expertise so I can only say my experience was different, maybe down to other factors but it feels better to my untrained senses!

:dont know:

I love my CG set up. I was out in it yesterday and got a chance to lean on it around a few corners and large roundabouts. Such a nice balance. The grip levels are amazing considering that we are currently on the edge of operating window temp if summer tyres. I'd say go for.something outside of standard. If you don't like it, take it to your local shop and they can put it back to standard, but I doubt you will.

I've always gone with stock settings, but nothing to lose with trying a different set up. Its only an adjustment, a relatively cheap way of non-invasively and reversibly changing the feel of your car hopefully for the better.

I suppose the standard set up is a compromise between feel, safety, tyre wear etc, whereas a bespoke set up can be better suited to what you use the car for most, and how you want it to feel... GT-One look like they know what they are talking about.

Hi,

I opted for what I felt was a good compromise when it came to Geo,
Front:
-2 Camber
as close to zero toe with a touch toe in 0.01 both sides

Rear -2.2 camber
Slight toe in 0.12 both sides.

Set up is with ohlins on slightly lower than GT3 heights.

I think the main benefit of a proper set up is that it's precise, even (from side to side) and balanced.

In my experience "stock settings" are any number within a fairly wide range, and can always be usefully improved.

I'd be tempted to add some negative camber and keep toe to a minimum to help turn in and cornering, if that it was is meant by 'fast road'.

Email Center Gravity and be guided by Chris and Pete.
I had my car set up by them and it is very much different and better than stock factory settings.

They only do geometry work - and know this inside out.

I would highly recommend a fast road setup. I had my turbo dialed in by JZM a few months back, having owned my car for three years I couldn't believe I hadn't done this earlier. The turn in was much more positive, the car felt really planted around longer corners inspiring confidence to add a little more throttle. Definitely worth the money imo .

Balance

It's not just a question of more grip. In my experience the stock setup is too biased to understeer or to look at it another way, too much rear grip...

When I got mine changed to a 'fast road' setup it was really a question of getting a more equal balance between front and rear, perhaps with ultimately slightly less rear end grip with the front staying the same. Also there was quite large differences F-B and L-R in the actual numbers - even though they were all within the factory specs. Aligning each setting perhaps made more difference than anything.

Balance is more enjoyable every time

Re: Balance

cdmci said:
Also there was quite large differences F-B and L-R in the actual numbers - even though they were all within the factory specs. Aligning each setting perhaps made more difference than anything.

This is right: even if you stick to a standard set up, it can be improved by adding a little precision with a proper alignment - and the improved balance makes for a more predictable and more enjoyable drive.

Thanks for all the replies folks.
I went for stock geo in the end - the car had new wishbones and another couple of components replaced along with the springs. The car drives very very nicely now - it was good before but it's great now. The springs are a subtle difference - it should have left the factory this way!
Cheers
James

Glad to hear you're enjoying it... How does the spring rate compare to standard?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back