Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Guide to Repairing a PDK Transmission (x-post)

wjk_glynn

Thanks for putting that link up, read through it and it's very interesting. Just wonder how many owners have forked out the deposit for a small house when they could have paid a couple of hundred pounds to have some solenoids replaced.
I've always thought that it was a joke to say that a manual box couldn't be fixed.

This info makes taking a risk on a PDK almost worth it. That's a great write up and well documented as so that a simpleton like me can grasp the concepts
Great find

PDK repair costs were proabably the deciding factor in taking out opc warranty for myself. Very interesting indeed - also the link to the thread about clutch oil changes.

Have always thought PDK cars would eventually become a bit of a time bomb as they age. This info would appear to mitigate alot of those risks.

Thanks for posting. :thumb:

I think they like to exaggerate the costs to encourage people to take the warranty out.

A very useful and enjoyable read i must say .

If parts can be obtained for these then there is no reason any garage cant work on them .

The lack of any kind of instructions or what possible special tools might be needed is what i guess keeps most garages from fixing these .

I'll just add .. if anyone knows of an old knackered PDK going at a sensible cost then my garage might be interested .. better to do a rebuild on a box like this first to see what tools might be needed and do a little investigation work , we can then decide if its a service we would want to offer .

Would be interesting to find out what the OPC's do with their old customer boxes, probably do them on an exch basis.

Surely only a matter of time before these are being routinely rebuilt 'Hartech style" (other rebuilders are available)

So now only the manual gearbox 3rd gear failures can't be repaired? :D

I suspect sourcing spare parts in UK might be a problem.

Regarding boxes that have been replaced, I believe that OPC's either return them to Porsche or are instructed to destroy them.

As with many things Porsche, market forces in US seem to inspire a more flexible corporate attitude than in the UK.

Johnd52 said:
I suspect sourcing spare parts in UK might be a problem.

Regarding boxes that have been replaced, I believe that OPC's either return them to Porsche or are instructed to destroy them.

As with many things Porsche, market forces in US seem to inspire a more flexible corporate attitude than in the UK.

It's the same in the US. Replacement PDKs from the US OPCs are done on a core-exchange basis.

At the time of writing, here's one for $8K NET after the core is returned (otherwise it's an additional $6,300, for a total of $14,300): https://www.sunsetporscheparts.com/oem-parts/porsche-transmission-9g1300011bx

And of course you have to add the labour costs to pull the old one, and put in the replacement.

Labour costs at OPCs vary significantly by region. As low as $100/hr in some areas, to around $225/hr where I live.

Karl.

Magic919 said:
I paid £5055 fitted with VAT at an OPC.

Great deal.... although obviously would have been better if you did not need a new one. Did that include any goodwill discount from Porsche?

Yes. It was part Porsche and part OPC. They said £2000.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back