Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Leak or Condensation in front boot?

portreathbeach

Silverstone
I haven't driven my 997.1 for a week or two due to a coolant pipe split (waiting to get it transported to a garage to get it fixed). Anyway, I went into the front boot today to get out some stuff and found that the bottom of the boot is wet.

The side carpets don't appear to be wet and the drainage plugs in the battery compartment are not blocked. I also noticed that there was a lot of condensation (very damp) on the underside of the bonnet. Also, it was damp on the underside of the plastic lid above the Nav system.

I have a few questions..

I got an image of a 997.1 front boot on the internet and have marked it up...

- The area marked with a red line is where the boot seal touches
- The purple area is where it was very damp (hundreds of water blobs which looked like condensation)
- If I shine a light where the green lines are, it can be seen where I have marked a blue line!

Surely this means that water can track into the 'sealed' compartment?

So, is the underside of my bonnet getting damp due to the wet carpet, or is the carpet getting damp due to the water getting to the underside of the lid?

Any help would be great.

Attachments

• front_boot_water_207.jpg
    front_boot_water_207.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 3,250
Remember that the green marked area is about an inch or so above the plastic surface when the lid is shut. Unless water is travelling upwards it cannot be flowing through the lid. Air is allowed into the luggage space via this path though.Is the seal round the boot space firmly pushed down, on mine it has obviously had some form of sealant applied before the seal was put in place.

So that means the water is getting into the carpet From somewhere and the wetness on the underside of the lid must be the evaporation on the water on the carpet.

Are there any drain holes in the front boot that could be blocked and the water is running down in? The ones under the battery are clear, I did them a couple of weeks ago when I noticed an inch or so of water under the battery.

Remember there are various paths from the battery area into the plastic covered area where the cd changer and nav drive etc live. This "crosses" the seal line of course. Are you sure the water didn't get in by running in via this path and down past the triangle / toolkit underneath the plastic covers ? Remove all the plastic covers and it hopefully should be apparent ?

The car's getting picked up today to get an engine drop and a coolant pipe replaced (and whatever else needs doing while it's out), so can't really look at the leak today.

I guess while the battery drains were blocked and there was an inch or two of water under it it may have sloshed around while driving and got into the front boot.

Will need to get it all dried out and see what happens in the rain.

Thanks for the replies.

One place to have a look ..

O/s/f and undo the clip as if you were getting to the headlight release bung .. pull the carpet back a bit more and look at the wiring between the side panel and where it reaches the front.

Should be a grommet there ..

If someone has pushed a hole in it to run wires through then that's the problem .. it allows water into the car .

Thanks again for the replies.

Hopefully I'll get the car back from getting the coolant pipe fixed and take a look. At least I know where I should be looking. Hopefully, one day, all my little snags will be sorted and I can enjoy a car I've been waiting years to get. :)

Fingers crossed it may have originated from a couple inches of water under the battery tray sloshing around and finding it's way in.

It's been raining for days and now has stopped, so I thought I would remove the lining from the front boot of the car to see where the water in the bottom is coming from.

After removing the large plastic part that sits over the sat nav and the large front part of the boot lining, I still cannot see where the leak is coming from. There seems no evidence of water coming dwon on the left or the right hand side (pictures 2 and 3) and the lining is only wet (soaking wet) at the very bottom.

Could the water possibly be coming in from the small rubber bung (circled in first picture). I removed the bung and I could see the road. It wasn't the tightest fit I've felt for a rubber bung, so wondering if this is possible. The bottom of this bung is hanging out slightly user the can and would surely get soaked when driving in the wet.

Attachments

• 1_976.jpg
    1_976.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 2,205
  • 2_190.jpg
    2_190.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 2,205
  • 3_399.jpg
    3_399.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 2,205
  • 4_358.jpg
    4_358.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 2,205
I went and checked the car today and found wet paper towel on the driver side of the front boot. In the images I have put an arrow pointing to where I believe the water is running from.

I cannot seem to find how the water can actually get to here, any ideas...

Attachments

• 6_197.jpg
    6_197.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 2,126
  • 5_813.jpg
    5_813.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 2,126
Did you get to the bottom of this water in boot problem?

Hi portreathbeach. Did you resolve this problem. I seem to have the same problem with my car and so and help you can offer is gratefully received. Cheers

There was another post about this issue and from the same area .. it was a long time ago and my search abilities are pretty useless but it was coming from the front bumper area and running down the chassis rail and into the car .

Bumper iron / crumple bar area i believe and a 997 .

The leak on this one was only when the car was parked at a certain angle .. up hill i believe and in the rain.

Edit .. forget my comments .. as it's posted above !!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Max V
Back