Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Long time away, poss looking at 997.1 turbo

Jason Taylor

Montreal
Hi all

It's a good 2 years since my last visit, I've had 3 x 911's, the last one being a turbo (loved it), I've just sold the family car (Daughters at university no longer required) Range Rover and lost £45k over the last 3 years so I've Promised myself I'll not do it again, tried to buy a pre Reg 69 plate M4 Competition (discount of 24k on list partially negating the depreciation reckoned on about 12k over 3 years) which I thought would cure my itch for some performance and be useable as a daily for the Mrs. but I missed it by a day 😬. So I've bought a 15 plate Audi A5 convertible for the wife To run about in 23,000 miles and mint, which leaves the performance itch in situ And a few quid left so I've started looking at Turbo's again and after so long away I'm quite surprised at the prices, one as low as 32k on eBay, I don't think I'd buy at that level but there are a few nicer looking ones with more sensible miles around £40k, I sold mine with 80000 miles for £50k two years ago 😊, I suppose the question is are the prices on a downward or upward curve currently And also in your opinion is £40k enough to pay?
Looking forward to the collective response

There's plenty of choice out there and asking prices are now back to where they were about 3 years ago.

The market over the last 12 months has been very slow and a lot of the cars on the market have been for sale for a long time so there may be some room for negotiation.

The £32k e-bay car belongs to Rickyhull ....

see -> http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=136991&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

.... on here and is about as cheap as you'll find. Mileage and history affect values significantly so you should get a car similar to your old one for not much more than your £40k budget.

Mine's done 75k and I probably wouldn't get £40k from the trade despite the fPsh and the fact that it's always had a Porsche Warranty. In a private sale I might have considered £45k but there's no other 911 that comes close as a replacement without adding significantly more £££s so I'm keeping it.

Happy Hunting :thumb:

I have a feeling the ebay car may need some work at that...
At a minimum I would say that *most* cars 80k miles and above will either soon need, or actually need new turbos and possibly other work... if they have not had them done already; unless they have never seen uk wet roads, which is unlikely at those miles.
I speak from experience :grin: and having spoken to a number of different well respected Indies (and my local OPC) who all said its getting more and more common (and hence why Porsche has cleverly run out of stock of turbo water and oil lines and stopped manufacture currently). The fact that some of the turbo lines are not available from Porsche creates a clear problem as it stands for anyone needing new stock turbos (assuming their lines wont come out cleanly, which most wont), so you need to ensure that whatever car you get, the turbos are not corroded!

note/ Indies I spoke to said they have seen turbo housing corrosion on cars with 40k miles, so miles isnt the only factor. An on ramp PPI would be the best course of action because even if a car has warranty from OPC (one I saw did) it will be sat on a ramp or not worked on until such a time as parts are available.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
b8n8tai
Back