Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Tyre flap on side wall - is it gonna be ok?

Hovis

Monza
tQqFKFw

Looking for advice from any one in the know on this subject.

Can this just be stick back as looks to be the rim protector ?

Or is it a new tyre?

Not sure why image hasn't posted but makes it impossible for any one to comment

9941-E09-B-DE6-C-4-ACF-9063-C102-F1-D447-AB.jpg

I wouldn't trust it, even on a Brutsch Mopetta.

Your mileage may vary.

Hovis said:
Can this just be stick back as looks to be the rim protector ?

It's done its job and protected your rim but I'd replace the tyre now as the beading may be damaged. It looks like a well used tyre anyway.

No way would I feel happy if that were on my car, I suggest to be safe, replace it now.You are asking for a blow-out.

Just stick it back, it'll be fine.

I'm with Alex .. glue it back or or cut it off .. it's the rim protector .. as with any tyre damage the problem is when it's down to the coords... this isn't .

Just to query .. that is the picture of your tyre ??

If not then email yours to me and i'll post it .

[email protected]

No way would I be driving over 30mph on that tyre, that is the sidewall :eek:

Thanks Cannop for sorting the picture and for everyone's input.

Blow out was my concern but figured that as it was the rim protector would be ok and the tyres have still about 6mm tread left.

@demort & Alex any tips on the compound to use to glue it if I go that way?

Still on the topic of wheels and tyres
Been offered some 20" sport techno wheels from a 991.
Off set is different to that on my targa 4 but only a few mm.
Front: 9J ET 51
Rear: 11.5J ET 48

Any one on the board run 20" with any advice?

1. The sight of that chunk missing would send me over the edge, let alone any risk associated with it
2. Don't buy the 20" wheels, you'll only regret it.

If I show you photos of mine after our meet in October.......and the fact it's still on my car......driven like a t**t........you'd all pass out :grin:

Local tyre lad tipped half a kilo of rubber out when he fixed my puncture.

Cheeky git charged me extra cos I made him put it back on the car! :x

It's only the rim protector which is essentially additional / excess rubber so there's plenty of material left there before you even get to the structural carcass of the tyre.

I've seen loads of flaps stuck down with glue or mastic etc. And I've seen "tyre rim protector cut or torn" as an MOT advisory, whereas tyre sidewall damage is a failure - the rim protector is not the sidewall.

You could get a micrometer and measure the thickness of an undamaged section of the tyre and compare it to the thickness left with the flap lifted and see how much has been compromised.

Difficult to tell just from the picture, but it would concern me marginally more on a budget tyre than a premium one, but still my concern would be minimal.

But if it's going to keep you up at night then get your wallet out. And presumably you'll be wanting to replace the full axle set....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back