Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

And through 100k miles...

Osh said:
Morning guys

yes, I'm really, really pleased with my P&J and wonder swap her for anything. I was chatting to Mrs Osh at the weekend and saying that, at some point in the future, the engine will need to be rebuilt and - when it comes to the time, i'll probably have it bored out, new headers and stainless steel down pipes, 100 or 200 cell cats and a super charger slapped on. As a typical girl Mrs Osh simply couldn't understand why....

Been reading other threads about engine rebuilds/upgrades and its something i'm looking forward to doing - it will probably be 2-3 years away from now though as the old girl is ticking along just fine. :thumb:

Osh

I would need to be very, very careful indeed about how to frame such an idea to Mrs B... Careless talk costs lives!

I agree though, its actually quite exciting for when the time comes. On top of the required work, I'm thinking an increase in capacity to 3.8L, everything balanced and polished, maybe lighter weight internals, stainless headers, to put the S in 4S...

Robertb said:
Osh said:
Morning guys

yes, I'm really, really pleased with my P&J and wonder swap her for anything. I was chatting to Mrs Osh at the weekend and saying that, at some point in the future, the engine will need to be rebuilt and - when it comes to the time, i'll probably have it bored out, new headers and stainless steel down pipes, 100 or 200 cell cats and a super charger slapped on. As a typical girl Mrs Osh simply couldn't understand why....

Been reading other threads about engine rebuilds/upgrades and its something i'm looking forward to doing - it will probably be 2-3 years away from now though as the old girl is ticking along just fine. :thumb:

Osh

I would need to be very, very careful indeed about how to frame such an idea to Mrs B... Careless talk costs lives!

I agree though, its actually quite exciting for when the time comes. On top of the required work, I'm thinking an increase in capacity to 3.8L, everything balanced and polished, maybe lighter weight internals, stainless headers, to put the S in 4S...

Rob there is method in my madness though m8.

As far as I'm concerned i've already put a marker down here; i've informed her that this *will* need doing and i've even lobbed in the hand grenade of cost as I told her it will cost *around ten grand* for such a project.

Now, I can either bring said project in under-budget and look like a right clever clogs, or it can come in over budget and i can claim unforeseen aspects that pushed the price up greater than i thought.... :grin:

But she cannot, at all, say that I haven't forewarned her or given her a sketch out of the expected pricing...

Osh

I like your thinking.

My plan would be to go and look at possible new cars with a change figure in excess of £25k.

Then suddenly come up with the inspired notion that I could get a rebuild done for much less, to keep the faithful car going. Added to the fact the car is a gilt edged investment opportunity (not my words, see any dealer 4S ad in Autotrader!) and its virtually paying for itself!

:thewife: :flowers:

Anyway, hopefully it will keep going a while longer...

My bird won't let me chop mine in for a newer/better model. She says I can only get another one if I keep the 996.

Bought time I chopped her in for something newer/better :nooo:

:wack:

It'll cost you more than a new engine if that happens...

Or maybe you could send her off to Hartech..

DJ911 said:

Not sure my wife would like the inference that she had scored bores.

One question I would love feedback on is whether a high mileage car drives better than one with low miles. My partner has a Mazda 3 1.6 on 149,000 miles. I drove it the other day, and found it to be a real pleasure!!! The engine felt really responsive and, perhaps not the right word, but"loose". Like the internals were well oiled and everything was moving smoothly. Is this a feature of higher mileage cars? My 996 has only done 53,000 miles, and as I don't use a car during the week, the mileage is never going to get that high in my ownership.

Robertb said:
I like your thinking.

My plan would be to go and look at possible new cars with a change figure in excess of £25k.

Then suddenly come up with the inspired notion that I could get a rebuild done for much less, to keep the faithful car going. Added to the fact the car is a gilt edged investment opportunity (not my words, see any dealer 4S ad in Autotrader!) and its virtually paying for itself!

:thewife: :flowers:

Anyway, hopefully it will keep going a while longer...

I've just written that down as a 'Plan-B' strategy .... :thumb:

Ta m8

Alex said:
Bought time I chopped her in for something newer/better :nooo:

:wack:

:useless:

Robertb said:
DJ911 said:

Not sure my wife would like the inference that she had scored bores.

:useless:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StephCafe
Back