Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Help & Advice on buying a 997 Turbo/Turbo S

ljc19630

Hi all,
My first post as I am new to the Porsche scene. Having had my Cherished CLS63 AMG-S stolen back in July, I am now considering my next car. Over the past few months I have been looking at everything, but keep coming back to a 997 Turbo or Turbo S. The main thing is it must be a Gen II and have PDK. Color-wise, ideally Meteor Grey, but Black & Silver are also desirable. I have a friend who runs a very successful garage, and who has restored several 911's as well as having an ex Porsche tech working for him, which is another reason i've swayed towards this car. He has given me tips, and will also view any cars with me. However, i thought it would be good to get some opinions, advice etc from you guys on the forum that own this marque. So please feel free to chime in with any pointers, good, bad, indifferent, as my search has already started, but will go up a gear in the new year!

Many thanks
Louie

It looks like you're in good hands with your mate to help you buy so I'll just say :welcome: to 911uk and 'Happy Hunting'. :thumb:

T8 said:
It looks like you're in good hands with your mate to help you buy so I'll just say :welcome: to 911uk and 'Happy Hunting'. :thumb:

Hi buddy
Thanks for the welcome! Yes I am in good hands, but still would like general feedback from existing 997 Turbo owners.

Cheers
L

Guys
One thing I need to confirm - Does the Turbo S come with PCCB as standard and have the yellow calipers?

:?: :?:

Cheers
L

Yes, the ceramics and therefore yellow calipers are standard, as is PDK, Sport Chrono, RS Spyder wheels, adaptive seats, cornering lights, torque vectoring, plus of course the extra 30bhp and higher boost levels.

Some people like them, can't think why :wink:

ljc19630 said:
One thing I need to confirm - Does the Turbo S come with PCCB as standard and have the yellow calipers?

Yes, although some owners switch them to steels.

NB: PCCBs are always yellow and Porsche didn't fit yellow calipers to cars without them.

Hi Louie

Just look and drive a turbo or s and buy the one for you. You will not regret it. The boost is addictive. Go out and drive one and you will he hooked. Promise

You can thank me once you have purchased it

Xmas treat to yourself band a pint for me

I only have a 996 and it's the absolute best car I have owned

GOODLUCK

FRP said:
Hi Louie

Just look and drive a turbo or s and buy the one for you. You will not regret it. The boost is addictive. Go out and drive one and you will he hooked. Promise

You can thank me once you have purchased it

Xmas treat to yourself band a pint for me

I only have a 996 and it's the absolute best car I have owned

GOODLUCK

Thanks FRP
I am looking at a Turbo on Autotrader. Private sale, which doesn't overly concern me, however whats your thought on purchasing privately rather than through a main dealer??

link to car below

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classi... Turbo&sort=price-asc&postcode=rh123uy&page=1

Hi

Due diligence applies, full PPI from a local indy or similar THIS IS A MUST IF BUYING and from a garage or private if I am honest?. Condition and history is important, I would not worry about mileage, my 996 has just under 95k miles and sweet

The engines are very strong and do not suffer the bore score

With that said, bills can mount quickly if works are required, think brakes, full service, engine mounts, IE consumables in general

Centre locks are a pain imho but some people love them, has a nice steering wheel upgrade too

its gotta be worth a look and talk to the owner about the PPI and see if they cringe or are more of an open book

With all that said, I bought mine same day cash and no PPI what so ever

Keep us posted

Many thanks FRP (i owned an FRP years ago!!)
Yes, a PPI would be a given, and as I have a good friend that owns a garage and specializes in Porsche restorations (as well as owning several) as well as employing 2 ex Porsche techs, i'll be in good hands. Good point about seeing the reaction of the owner when i mention a PPI!!!

Will keep you posted, and thanks for your help and advice

L

Thanks, TB
Yeah, I thought the same. Interesting replies I have had on PH forum as some saying that they would only by via an OPC, and others saying the private purchase isn't an issue providing a PPI is done. Well, I bought an RS4, R35 GTR (first one I looked at) privately and didn't even drive it!!! I also bought my last car CLS63 AMG-S, albeit from a dealer, but again placed a deposit on it over the phone, then drove 350 miles to Barrow to do the deal. only 3 months warranty on that. Both cars never missed a beat, and trust me the GTR was driven all over Europe and HAMMERED!!!! The RS4 was a great car, and again didnt have any major issues and driove perfectly
So I guess its personal choice as to whether your risk-averse and feel the desire to pay out more by purchasing via OPC, or less worried and purchase privately??

Cheers
L

TB, FRP
What's your honest thought on the mileage of this car? I'd value your opinions. I know its a totally different car, but earlier this year I picked up a very clean, only 2 previous owners 2008 Mk5 Golf GTi, as a daily driver. 3door, DSG, Black.
It had done 128k, but had FVWSH, and really been looked after. Drives like a new car, and although many folks wouldn't entertain a very high mileage car, the history, maintenance, and condition of the car lead me to buy it, which i don't regret at all.

I have had a few text chats with my pal, but he seems to think the mileage is high, it is 8k overpriced and is citing that once the car reached 100k the arse will fall out of it from a price point perspective. He's gauging the price as book price and saying that cars are cheap ATM, and it wouldn't give me much hassle-free motoring for the next few years. I think he is souly looking at it from a business investment perspective, which i get and have asked him to call me when he is free - Comments from you will be valued :thumb:

Doesn't look over-priced to me and at 65k it's nowhere near 100k :dont know:

How many miles are you going to do in it? Will the current mileage taper to 'average' if you keep it several years? Or are you going to sell on in a few years at 70k+ miles, in which case buyers will be asking the same question :roll:

We get hung up on mileage in the UK and yes it is a factor but so too is condition. I know of a 997.1 turbo used as a daily with over 130k+ miles with no major issues, PCCB less than 50% worn! They still need maintenance and if you have 'mates rates' at your Indy no reason you'll do your dough.

Everyone wants a sub 50k miler for 100k+ miles price :grin: Chances are the buyer might take a knock if lots of people are put off by the odometer.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back