Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Single mass flywheel

freddie44

Albert Park
Thinking to upgrade to a single mass flywheel at clutch change time next year but would really like to hear one in situ before I commit.

Anyone near West London, Berks area with a single mass in a 996/997 GT3 I could come and stick my ear to?

Anyone had experience with the swap from dual to single?

I'm only cautious as I like to use the GT3 as an all-rounder not just tracks (but also tracks)

Cheers

Brill, PM'd you

Interesting to hear your findings. It's an upgrade I'd often wondered about.

FWIW I had the Guards, Cup style diff ramps put in my LSD earlier in the year and it was a definite improvement. Even in my hands.

Think you'll regret fitting one if your car's a daily.

I had a ride in a GT3.1 single mass and the bag of nails sounds was horrendous.

The GT3.2 had a twin plate and that bag of nails sound had gone thank god!

One of the best things you could do for the GT3. Like everything it soon becomes the norm, I used mine in central London traffic all the time, not a problem. Noise is slightly increased but again you get used to it and certainly adds to the visceral GT experience.

Great to hear Stu :thumb:

Going to sample next week

It's fab for improving throttle response. Not massively noticeable in gear as the drivetrain is loaded up though intensely noticeable when h an t and blipping for a downshift.

Only comment would be that pedals on 997 are not brilliantly placed for H and t on the road. Track is fine but road driving it's harder to get the brake pedal down far enough unless performing a massive stoppie.

:thumb:

Thanks for comments!

Having been able to sample a GT3 with a SMF fitted I'm 100% sold.
No real downsides and adds another element of fun. Defo going for it :thumb:

freddie44 said:
Thanks for comments!

Any idea of budget yet?

Are you doing this because the clutch needs changing anyway?

You will need.,

Flywheel, TTV / Aasco - I have a contact if anyone is interested.

Uprated sprung clutch, - Sachs.

Also worth going for a performance pressure plate - Sachs

Replace the release and spigot bearings (Sachs & Porsche) while your in there as well as new flywheel bolts. (ARP)

Circa - £1600 on parts.

freddie44 said:
Thanks for comments!

Use the 964 flywheel & the 4.0L clutch pack. Stick to Porsche stuff throughout the job, release bearing, tube & fork all worth changing while you're in there.

Thanks Nick and hope you're well!

Need to get the diff checked too - cup plates?

Yes, standard ones are chocolate

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Retep
Back