Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Electric car, I think it''s (not) time

sim996 said:
spongebob squarepants said:
G2 said:
Mrs just got an a class. Great car. The mbux system is really good. the speak and spell system seams to work really well. Say 'I'm cold" and the heating gets turned up with the air vents illuminated red... tell it to turn heated seats on etc. The app is good and the self Parking works fine.

First thing I'll ask it is 'why are Liverpool so lucky" :grin:

LiVARpool

Always score in kloppage time.

:roll: :grin:

Those of you familiar with my history may remember that I have always promoted average torque in the rev band you drive through the gears as more relevant to performance than peak BHP at the end of it - and even based the tuning of the winning racing motorcycle engines I built back in the '70's and early '80's on it (and of course our recent oversized engine conversions).

I find it ironic now that after battling just about everybody over this scientific principle for decades I am finally reading about how the low speed torque from these electric vehicles is transforming their peoples understanding of what creates performance.

Strange also how Mr Porsche first built a car with an electric motor in each wheel (how advanced was he?).

Even on Top Gear this week they found that modest electric family vehicles could outperform more power examples round a twisty road circuit while the Tesla 3 was fantastic.

But the range and access to fast charging points is bound to delay full electric potential whereas hybrids conveniently overcome that handicap.

But I also fully accept that drivers want noise and surging power for which hybrids seems to be the perfect answer.

After all in the South East, London and big cities you can only drive as fast as the other traffic or speed limits allow and these are the areas where pollution is the problem.

IF the government made an early ruling that hybrids can drive into these anti-pollution zones on pure electric power (with some kind of monitoring system and massive fines for non compliance) then drivers could pick cars to "save the planet" and at the same time enjoy the traditional experience of an engine revving out on full power on their days off - a perfect scenario.

So - IMHO - Electric cars - "great potential", full electric "too soon yet" , full ICE "too late for the planet" but hybrids "the perfect answer" as long as legislation supports them.

Baz

Baz some interesting thoughts, so when can I expect my 4ltr Hybrid engine conversion from you guys :grin: :grin:

neighbour has the Jag E pace thing and is saving a lot of money on company car tax and fuel over a BMW X6. hardly a normal car but saving about 800 a month as no tax and no fuel (does 140 a week in fuel). its an expensive car to buy the jag and you never would bad depreciates like crazy but its company car so have it for 4 years, do loads of miles and hand it back. he has started driving to work as well as EV charging points there for directors plus saving around 600 a month on trains (if he sticks at it!). a full charge costs around 5 squids and lasts around 300 miles.

the electric jag is not a normal EV for the masses and is probably an 80k car to put into context. it isn't no 20k golf....on the subject of electric vehicles for the masses....

mate has an E golf. total waste of time and wait for the next Gen of IVs. range is pitiful of around 100 miles at best...when the weather is warm. he gets about 55 miles after a FULL CHARGE. dreadful.

read a great article with bob Dudley who is stepping down as CEO of BP and its quite matter of fact. to the point where the current UK electricity output could only cope with about 20% of future EV car demand. whoops. we are a generation or two moving away from fossil fuels as its a complex supply chain and so much depends on it.

every day 8 new coal factories pop up in china and India and those areas that are having their big industrial and commercial revolutions.

Excellent Harry's garage on the Jaguar ipace. Conclusion is the car is great, if a little soulless but the charging network is abysmal unless you have a Tesla.
He reckons plug-in hybrids are are the best bet if you need the car for long trips.
Motorways interestingly use much more energy. He just about got 200 miles out of it on a trip to London and back from the Cotswolds.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CEyfCcAbtKU

I picked up a Tesla 3 a few months back. Whilst I really like it for the Tech side of things, it's a pain in the arse to live with from a charging point of view. Whilst it's supposed to do 230 miles, in the cold period with heated seats on etc., I'm lucky to get 130 miles. As for charging, there is always the fear I won't be able to charge enroute or at destination, as when I get there there's always a bloody outlander charging. It's great as a town roun around and charge at home, but doesn't meet our needs. We're in fact just about to buy a Cayenne diesel in addition to this for longer journeys.

Once the lease is up I'll not be getting another electric car unless the infrastructure dramatically improves.

Attachments

• 571a17ee_b4d1_4b13_b471_78910d65266a_127.jpeg
    571a17ee_b4d1_4b13_b471_78910d65266a_127.jpeg
    151.4 KB · Views: 5,044

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drthein
Back