Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

How to fit a Timesert spark plug thread repair

MisterCorn

Fuji
I've just had my first attempt at fitting a timesert thread repair. If anybody else needs to do a spark plug thread repair I can recommend these. A nicely put together kit which does the job very well.

MC

Good video, keep it up. As you say, the head really has to be removed due to the swarf. Surprised the insert is not a left hand thread as a cross theaded plug into it can unscrew it. Pretty sure helicoil is left hand. :thumb:

Your correct, helicoil has to be right hand thread :worship:

Helicoil is a right hand thread. It has to be as it is basically a diamond shaped wire which sits in a larger thread to bring it down to size. Larger diameter, same thread pitch. I might put the plug in cross threaded and see if this will pull out. If it does I could just fit another one.

MC

Timesert spark plug thread repair

Thanks for taking the time to post this, always nice to have a video to 'show the way'
Can i ask if this is the Stomsky kit?
I have just successfully used their exhaust stud jig on my 996.
On a day of disturbing news (London Bridge) your post gave some much needed light relief, Thank you.

They are made by Wurth but sold by many people, Stomski included.

MC

I used one of these kits on the thread for a front caliper bolt which stripped. The insert is much more substantial in my opinion. The pressing of the longer type insert preferable over screwing in a heli coil.

Only downside was the price of the kit @ around £150 direct from würth.... albeit with plenty of legnth inserts.

Great video :thumb:

Those grease tin lids can be a bit tight eh (2:55). :grin:

Another great video Martin. A nice calm vibe about them and excellent info. :thumb:

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cooper9000
Back