Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

993 Man coupe - 25 bag

The 993 for now seems to have suffered from the Restomodding / Backdating trend which has swept the 964 up into Vortex... Considering the 993 outstripped the 964 over 2 decades ago at a ratio of at least 5-1 the old 964 has had a turn of fate and has seen prices massively increase over the past few years, Personally i like them both.... I wouldnt be looking to back date a 964 and i won't be buying one at to days prices to store up either,

If 993 prices continue to be affected as can be seen by the sheer volume cropping up for sale each week then i'll be jumping on board with one of these because when the 964 bubble does burst and stock runs low it's only natural that companies like Singer and private buyers will look to the 993 as the next best latest and greatest must have 911 ?

cableguy said:
gunner said:
Nearly 100 for sale just on pistonheads. That's quite a lot for what is now a fairly niche choice. Given the other competition out there, I think it's a buyers market.

Would be interesting to see the ratio of NB Manual Coupe's though. :wink:

C.

I just checked and PH has 93 993's for sale - but this of course includes Turbos, cabs, tips, Targas, 4WD and 2WD.

If one wanted a 2WD manual coupe (not Targa), RHD and not in Hong Kong or something, then there's a choice of 8 cars. Seven C2's and one C2S.

Ignoring the C2S and the 205k miles example, that leaves six other cars. Mileages range from 75k to 89k, and prices range from £41,500 to £60,000.
There seems to be a very direct correlation between mileage and price, well at a glance anyway.

And that's the problem - mileage. Buyers are put off more by high miles 993 cars than 964 despite the 993 having the better sealed engine and bulletproof longevity :roll: Remember when you could buy a 964 for £8k or an RS for £50k less than 10yrs ago :eek:

If that 993 car is 'good' overall it is a bargain - end of. You could run it, fettle it and not worry about miles or degrading condition and I suspect get near your dough back when you sell it.

In fact I am rather tempted myself if he will lower the price a few bags :grin:

I rememebr looking at a 964 in 2012 when the Olympics were on in London,

There seemed to be 3 Brackets, £8K was in need of some TLC, £10K was a good used example, £12K was a garage queen low miles example, There were a few at around £14K that were pristine,

I saw a red one recently that i had shortlisted and was up for £47,500 :eek:

Great if you have one and good news for the used 911's across the board, new 992's will be soon affecting used prices further down the line, whether good or bad we will have to wait and see.

Well it looks like the 993 has sold as the advert has disappeared. Good price for those not put off by the mileage

Plus it had a history and provenance file thicker than Jonttt's wallet :roll:

If it was still there at weekend I'd have taken a look myself

I do find the mileage / price equation for 993's a bit strange.
Example: a C2 manual coupe with 75,000 miles [average 3,000 per year] = asking price of around £55k to perhaps £60k.
Same car with 100,000 [4,000 per year] miles = close to £40k. Perhaps £45k.
And yet, they're the same age, with therefore the same issues about rust, suspension bushes, paintwork and so on. And an engine that most feel can reach much higher mileages with no problems.

How can the car which has done only 1000 miles per year less over its life be worth a £15k plus premium?
Note we're not talking here about ultra low miles cars, they exist in a separate market I'd have thought.
Everyone says "buy on condition not miles" so why don't prices reflect this advice?

because we are mileage snobs in the UK.

No other reason for it.

My last family car i ran though to close on 225,000 miles and had to almost give it away.

buttertubs said:

No other reason for it.

You are correct Tubs :thumb: And for that reason I reckon a lot of people with the folding who actually want a 993 to drive immediately dismissed what appeared to be a very very good car.

Hopefully the new owner will pop up on here. One week later and that could well have been me :roll:

Zingari said:
One week later and that could well have been me :roll:

I hope we wouldn't be calling you George Eaton the 2nd if it had been a week later :floor:

tank.gif

I'm guilty of this..... Just to make it difficult for myself tho i also only buy on condition and Low miles.
As we all know some low miles cars may have been ragged on short trips daily, others used sparingly on weekends and some used "Normally" if such useage exists.

There seems to be a bracketing criteria for Age, miles, more than service history and spec, I looked at some 911's this year with low miles only to find they have partial history, one in particular hadn't been serviced for 4 years.... Another one my mate looked at hadn't been MOT'd in 2 years. That was about 6 years since it was last serviced.

This 993 at the price was almost a bargain, not surprised it'd been bought, hope it gets some TLC and some use !

buttertubs said:

No other reason for it.

My last family car i ran though to close on 225,000 miles and had to almost give it away.

Yeah I suppose that must be the reason. I just find it odd with 993's. Even the youngest of them is 21 years old now. Ignoring the ultra low mileage cars, why should the mileage snob care whether the car has done 75, 95 or 115k miles given the age of all these cars?

Is it the good old 100k barrier do we think?

Hi

When I took my 185k 993 motor apart (did not split the case) to replace a broken piston ring, it was so clean inside it was shocking. The only things that actually needed doing and were out of spec were the exhaust guides. The car spent much of its life on motorways before I bought it though, so that must have helped.

Of course that wasn't all I did, but you get the idea. Engine has pretty much only ever used Magnatec 10/40 as far as I can tell. Its certainly all I will use.

In fact during the rebuild I caused an annoying oil leak that I absolutely cannot find the source of. So I will drop it out again this summer maybe. If I do that then I will split the case and refresh the bottom end while I am there probably.

Berni

Hi Berni

It's good to hear about your experiences. My understanding is that worn valve guides are just about the only real weakness with the 993 engine. Slipping cam timing on later '95+ and non functional vram issues are quite easy fixes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
b8n8tai
Back