Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Removing Secondary Air Injection 996.1

crash7 said:
Yes, I have done it to my MY2001.

Wayne Schofield flashed the ECU when the car was being mapped.

In removing the Secondary Air Pump, and using a different code, you can also lose two of the O2 sensors, I cant remember if they were pre or post, I can check if you like.

That would be fantastic, thanks. I'll need new Lamdba sensors and buying 2 rather than 4 would be good.

MC

My car is an early 2000 C2 with electronic throttle but only 2 O2 sensors.
Whereabouts is the air pump located?

I have a 2001 996.2 and I have just driven 40 miles with no SAI pump fitted (left it off after doing some work, went for a test run to bleed the coolant). I can confirm there are no CEL and no pending trouble codes on my OBD2 reader.

I have capped the pipe with a bit of rubber and jubilee clip. There is quite a vacuum pull through it on startup but this dissipates shortly after. I'm considering putting the pump back on for safety's sake as unless you cap the rubber hose off at the engine there is the risk of something being sucked in. Has anyone capped this off with a bung or cap that fits securely?

I would be looking to remove the entire assembly and fit the Porsche covers and gaskets to the cylinder block. I'll post details when I do it.

You say there are no codes after a drive, personally I wouldn't necessarily expect to see any. I think it might take 3 or so cold start runs for it to show up.

MC

Hi Mistercorn. I would blank it off it it didn't require the alternator et al to be removed to get the the SAI valve, so I think I'm going to pop it back on for the time being. Will keep an eye out for codes etc in the meantime.

g911omr said:
My car is an early 2000 C2 with electronic throttle but only 2 O2 sensors.
Whereabouts is the air pump located?

It is located on left between header tank and engine mount.

MisterCorn said:
crash7 said:
Yes, I have done it to my MY2001.

Wayne Schofield flashed the ECU when the car was being mapped.

In removing the Secondary Air Pump, and using a different code, you can also lose two of the O2 sensors, I cant remember if they were pre or post, I can check if you like.

That would be fantastic, thanks. I'll need new Lamdba sensors and buying 2 rather than 4 would be good.

MC

MC,

There is no requirement for pre-cat sensors, I have later 3.6 cats sensor bosses are blanked with bolts. - Post cat sensors remain.

I have bought the kit of parts to remove it.

I'll post details when I get it done.

MC

MisterCorn said:
I have bought the kit of parts to remove it.

I'll post details when I get it done.

MC

Did you go ahead on this delete MC? How did it go, any issues, require a remap?

I would like to do the same as it seems to be surplus to requirements, the GT3 certainly does not have it!

Secondary air system is there to fast warm up the cats .. not uncommon for the ports in the head to become blocked causing a fault code .

Save the planet stuff .

As far as i'm aware this won't trigger an eml light with a non functioning system but only a code when using a tester .

There is no coding option to turn this off but only a remap which can delete this system from the cars " memory " in which case it will ignore this system .

There is no benefit from deleting , remap to tell its not fitted or blanking it that i'm aware of .. the car will run as normal regardless .

Open to discussion there though .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back