Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Flat battery; causes?

SRDavis

After not using the car for 2 weeks, the battery was as flat as a pancake. I've read many posts about how to use a second battery to start the car and lots of debates about makes of batteries and chargers, but haven't found anything that says why 997 batteries go flat.
I have a circuit tester but not much expertise with vehicle electrics, so can anyone tell me, (as in giving facts, not hearsay / opinion), as to what are the typical causes of battery drain on our cars?

Thanks

Simon

An interesting question .. the reasons ...

Lack of use .. the battery will always have a discharge but it's in the 30 milliamps range .. so approx 5-6 weeks for a new fully charged battery to get to 9 Volts .. ish so that there is not enough power to spin the starter fast enough .

less for an old battery .

As above but short journeys .. more out of the battery than in .

A poor performing alternator .. you may not get a battery light but you can get a low voltage from the alternator .. to test you always have the engine running and all electrical loads turned on .. ie lights , seats , blower fan at max ..

You want at least 13 volts at this point .

An electrical discharge .. something drawing a current .. a Tracker is a possible .. roughly a 1 amp intermittent discharge every 30 seconds .

Constant 1 amp and its a radio or an alternator fault .

Pulsing 6 amp and its stuck seat button .. i could go on here ...

An old tired battery that cant hold its charge .

Those are the obvious reasons and you always test with a seperate voltmeter .

cold weather and lack of use.

if your battery is a few years old and you don't use it then this recent drop in temps will just kill it. especially when it goes sub zero. same with a normal phone when you are out in low temps. battery life just drops

when you are asking it to crank a big lump then its like no thanks. plus all the electrics running in this weather such as heating and lights and heated seats etc.

The alarm uses a bit, if you are in a position where you dont need to lock it it will last longer.

I've read up on this too. I had the same issue a few months back. What I found out was that my battery was 3 years old, and was a genuine Porsche one which I understand are not the best battery. My car also has a tracker that drained the battery. Replaced with a Bosch equivalent, no issues. Had not used the car for 2 weeks and started no issues yesterday.

At this time of year the number 1 contributing factor to a car battery health is Weather,

The battery may well be tired and old, the Alarm will drain some a tracker will also drain but the weather will highlight any issues pretty sharpish especially the past few nights of sub zero temps we have had around here.

Another effect that i think often gets over looked, the battery is away from the engine compartment and doesent have the benefit of being kept warm for a few hours after the car is parked up,

C4Silver said:
At this time of year the number 1 contributing factor to a car battery health is Weather,

The battery may well be tired and old, the Alarm will drain some a tracker will also drain but the weather will highlight any issues pretty sharpish especially the past few nights of sub zero temps we have had around here.

Another effect that i think often gets over looked, the battery is away from the engine compartment and doesent have the benefit of being kept warm for a few hours after the car is parked up,

This /\/\/\
A 911 battery is always more likely to go flat, the cable run from front to back is a power sapper, and as said above it is physically colder than a battery stored in an engine compartment (im sure this is a good thing in a hot country...)
I also think the standard battery is an engineering compromise of power to weight, whereas on a bog standard hatchback an additional half a kilo doesnt matter, so a battery will be slightly larger and therefore have a better capacity than is required, a 911 battery is right on the edge and therefore has to be kept in top condition. Thats only a theory though :floor:

:floor:

As theories go it's about as un scientific as mine...... it's just one of those things that works in my head when I think 💡

If the engine bay was keeping the battery warm it would stay in better condition......
I know a lot of More modern cars have the battery in the rear floor under the boot floor, I have a car with a battery in the wheel well, it's about twice as big as the 911 battery.

When my car is locked up and i dont use it a while i disconnect the battery! Even now in winter its all disconnected!! Safer in my opinion!

Cheers

J

If your going to leave a bonnet open then its always best to drop the latch ..

By this i mean ...

use a screwdriver flat blade .. push the lock down a small amount and you will see a bar start to move from the o/s to the n/s ..

Put the screwdriver behind this and move it towards the n/s whilst pushing down a bit .

You are doing what the bar in the bonnet does basically .

Latch locked and there is no way it can be shut accidentally .. you can also alarm the car should you wish if not disconnecting the battery .

Something i do many times per day to turn off the bonnet interior light .

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Porsche Die Hard
Back