Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

2001 C4 project car

It will be interesting to find out when we put the new engine in. The CR will be bumped on on that over what the standard engines run.

Camshaft cover, camshafts, and tappet chest removed ready to pull the head, I'll check that the other two spark plus will torque up correctly before I pull it.

MC

Timesert kit has arrived. Head removed ready for the operation. I can see the bores for 5 and 6 and they look clean, no signs of any scoring here.

Timesert install next.

MC

My 3.4 liners were in great shape too at 100K, although could not check below piston skirts. Be interested to see how my 2nd engine looks when I get some time.

Interested to see how the timesert goes.

Whilst the head was off I thought I'd give the combustion chambers a quick once over. Also had a go with the Timesert kit.

Easy enough to use and does a very nice job from what I can see. Judging by what the bottom looks like when it is finished though, and the amount of swarf which came through, there is no way I would do that on the car.

This was done on a scrap head that had a crack in it. I didn't fancy having a first attempt on the head that I need. I've done a video on the process which I'll post when I get the bits put together.

MC

More details on fitting the timesert in this video I made.

MC

Parts have arrived to remove the SAI. Fortunately the Porsche tax is not strong on these.

MC

Some cleaning up on the block and the head before they go back on with the new gasket. They are looking pretty good here but there are a few bits I'll attack a bit more.

MC

With the block and the head cleaning finished, I cleaned up the inlet manifold mounting face and dropped the head on with the new gasket, after checking it against the old one to make sure it was the same...

Ready to be torqued up as soon as my angle gauge turns up.

MC

Cage is being fitted. The rear part went in OK, but clearly something not right at the front. It looks like perhaps the wrongs door bars have been provided?

I've contacted the manufacturer so I'll see what they say.

MC

Cage is cool 8)

Are the bars the wrong way round or upside down :dont know:

:thumb:

Manufacturer has confirmed they sent the wrong door bars. New ones should be here next week.

MC

MisterCorn said:

MC

I used one and found it to be a faff. Seen engine builders mark the stud bolts and measure angles from 12 o'clock or whatever.

I'll hopefully let you know how I get on tomorrow.

Secondary air injection parts removed.

I found that in addition to the two covers I also need a bracket to hold the vacuum reservoir. Less than a fiver from OPC but German stock so need to wait three days for that. The takeoff from the vacuum reservoir which I won't be using for the SAI will be used for the PSE.

Also removed the power steering pump in preparation for going electric.

MC

fot0 said:
MisterCorn said:

MC

I used one and found it to be a faff. Seen engine builders mark the stud bolts and measure angles from 12 o'clock or whatever.

I have an angle gauge but find it more accurate to mark the bolt/head, the only time I use the gauge is if the angle required is something odd like 70 or 110 etc, anything with 45 or 90 degrees is just a case of marking up where you need your torque wrench to point. I also found the gauge to move a little if you are not careful and you then loose where you turned to already.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back