Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Gearbox filler plug rounded, any ideas?

No joy unfortunately, can't get the camera up and past the baffles.

A mate who's into Land Rovers came round and I told him I needed to take the box out to access a plug at the top of the box and he said why don't you just cut a whole in the floor, I did think about it for a few seconds :lol:

You are welcome round to look but I think you have seen most of what you need to know from the pics but if it helps get your head around anything feel free.

I don't think there will be any baffles in there just the gears from the output shaft.

I was wondering if you'd poked your finger up into the drain hole and towards the bell housing, I've updated my picture below to show the red circle where the magnet sits and if the spring has made its way down far enough it may be on the magnet, the orange blob is around where the drain plug is so you should be able to feel the magnet. It'll probably have a load of grease on it from the sealed bearings though and hopefully a spring.

yNRnM4D.jpg

I do think there should be enough space to get an 8mm scope through there and up a little way but it depends on the angle you can get it in at I suppose?

Thanks, yes I can feel the magnet with my finger but the spring isn't there. It's frustrating as I can get the camera towards the front of the rear of the box no problem and can see right along the gears but I just can't get it the other way and then up. The camera is only 8mm across but it's about 25mm long so it's not as flexible in tight spaces as I need.

It's back on it's wheels now as I'm taking it down for it's mot so we'll see how that goes first!

Passed with no advisories so at least that's one positive.

I had decided to wait until the Christmas holidays to tackle this but phoned Revolution to see what they said. They have done a few of these, said it can done by fishing the spring out and lowering the box enough to access the top plug but he said it's probably quicker to drop and split the box and check nothing else had happened. Quote is 5 hrs labour which is £430.

I've never been totally happy with the shifting despite a new clutch, 997 shifter and new oil so I might take it in for a chance of a good going over. Plus it looks like the RMS could do with changing too.

That's pretty much what I'd do too, if you think of it as the box was going to need to come out in the near future any way for other work then the majority of the labour is free!

I personally would only get them to take the end cover off, refit the spring and lever correctly then give it a once over to make sure the loose spring hasn't done any damage, and put it back in with new oil

Mac

Maybe a good opportunity to tackle some other related bits and bobs too, eg The brake lines that run over the gearbox

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back