Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Gearbox filler plug rounded, any ideas?

That is why I want grey996 to have a look down the pivot pin hole and if possible check to see if there is still spring tension on the selector arm inside, if the hole on the selector arm and the hole in the casting inside are any where near in line ( ie you can see part of both of them ), then I have a cunning plan :grin:

There is space behind the end of the plug/pin when it is in place in the gearbox, you could probably extend the pin by about 5mm and grind a nice long, almost pointed end on the extended pin and use that to realign the selector arm and rear pivot point as you screw in the pin :thumb:

kurlykris said:
There is space behind the end of the plug/pin when it is in place in the gearbox, you could probably extend the pin by about 5mm and grind a nice long, almost pointed end on the extended pin and use that to realign the selector arm and rear pivot point as you screw in the pin :thumb:

Great minds, this is something I also thought about a couple of days ago, I was going to suggest welding on the end and grinding to a point.

But from what I saw today I can't see either part being close to where they need to be and you would never line the hole up with the spring in place, it does have quite a bit of pressure behind it and the reason as soon as I released the plug it pushed the pivot arm sideways. With the spring cap removed this will all be a lot easier but it does mean potentially dropping the box.

I may also be temped to leave the spring in the gearbox if it's gone walk about, I can only see it falling to the bottom and then the large magnet will pick it up, it could already be on the magnet so would definitely be worth dropping the oil to check. You'd just need to spec a spring of the same type to put in its place if it can't be found? I have the size if need be?

I agree, it all depends if the spring is still in place in this particular case (your gearbox is apart, so may make a difference to how things are moving about), if it is then there is a chance that the situation can be recovered without removing the gearbox :thumb:

My thoughts, if the spring is still in place, then drill and tap the end of the pivot pin and loctite in a hex head bolt, say M5 or M6 into the end of the pin, then grind or file it down to a nice long pointed lead, blob some grease on it and then wind it in, while paying attention to how much pressure needed to turn it.

We need a photo of down the Plug/pin hole now :grin:

Car's back on the lift, the plug was actually very tight and I didn't want to start hitting it with a hammer in case I disturbed things even more. The tool should be here tomorrow so I'm not going to rush things.

While I was under there though I was reminded that the IMS or hopefully RMS area is weeping and now the manifold looks to be leaking so I think i'll just set the car on fire or drive it into a lake and have done with it!

Attachments

• 2d0fb070_f153_4e37_bf45_4f550adf3fbf_359.jpeg
    2d0fb070_f153_4e37_bf45_4f550adf3fbf_359.jpeg
    169.1 KB · Views: 1,104
  • be6ab898_eaa2_4dcf_8bf5_5665bfb71e7d_184.jpeg
    be6ab898_eaa2_4dcf_8bf5_5665bfb71e7d_184.jpeg
    112.1 KB · Views: 1,104
Well it looks like the dreams over!

First pic is with the plug removed, you can see the end of the fork, it's easy to move so the spring must have sprung!

I can align the fork by moving the selector arm and get the plug back in, the gears do function so that's something at least but it'll need sorting.

Does anyone have a good how to to split the box?

Attachments

• b50335bf_4e64_4537_a565_21d14fb70521_201.png
    b50335bf_4e64_4537_a565_21d14fb70521_201.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,032
:sad: Unlucky young man :sad:

WxJ1dVs.jpg

4A7ERxJ.jpg

I was having a look at this again on Tuesday, I released the plug a couple of times and the spring fell to the same spot each time and I can't see it moving from here once everything is in place even if it has been driven. I have the metal plate back in place again now and it sat behind it each time.

BTxdcVP.jpg

I also removed the plug where the spring sits and it gives good access to seeing into the lever arm area. I would be still tempted to try to fish the spring out or just buy another one.

My circlip was corroded that only one end was left on it and I had to pick it out with a screwdriver. Luckily I had a box of circlips and some the correct size.

mtxNK96.jpg

The pivot arm sitting as yours is.

SqddQM6.jpg

Down the spring hole and you can see the pivot arm.

SQDEVJ2.jpg

By moving the selector I could line the arm back up, this was with it sat back on the bearing with the spring in place, probably easier said than done with the box all in one piece.

If I couldn't fish the spring out somehow, I would remove the box from the car, with the box flat on the bell housing, only split the casing a couple of centimeter and try to remove the spring at this point, or remove the circlip and use a new spring.

You don't want to split it much further than 20mm as its a nightmare to line all the selector arms back into place. You will need to then seal the joint with a good sealant, I use engine sealer Loctite from OPC.

Did the spring retaining cap come out easily infrasilver ?

My endoscope is about 8mm diameter at the camera and has a hook attachment you can fit for fishing things out like this, do you reckon you`d be able to fish the spring out with that :?:

edit : Rather than having to split the box ?

It came out reasonably easy, I did punch it up and out from below so I could re-use it though as I didn't want to go ordering another. But following the Porsche procedure for removing it previously shown, I would guess it would come out easy.

If you look close you can see the cap has got a rubber gasket around it so won't corrode around the edge where it meets the gearbox casing. The endo' would possibly go to where it is sat in my picture, if it fell any further I would guess it would be on the magnet at the bottom of the gearbox anyway so could be removed by draining the oil?

infrasilver said:
Also with the endoscope you could probably get to it easier through the oil drain plug hole, it would be closer to where it has fallen to I would guess?

OK,my endoscope was £70 from screwfix, it may be worth Grey996 getting hold of one and having a looky see before dropping the box, if I were closer to him he would be welcome to borrow mine :sad:

This camera does actually do video out, you just need an AV input on your laptop, I have an old Sony Vaio that I use for stuff like this, along with my 7, yes, you read that right viewers, 7 other laptops with specific uses in my work :floor:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/magnusso...en/7942x#product_additional_details_container

Thanks again, there's still hope :lol:

I bought a camera for this, mines an 8mm and has a hook attachment too so i'll drain the box and go fishing. There looks to be some baffles at the bottom which might impede things but i'll try.

I'm very doubtful about getting the spring back in with the box in situ but i'll see if the camera helps.

I've recently rebuilt the box on one of my old Alfa's but by the sounds of things I really could do without splitting this one!

I believe you are in Sheffield, if you want to have a poke around gearbox insides at any point to see what they are like first hand, Infrasilver and myself are both based near J26 M1 so not far away.

MC

Nightmare! Nothing to add apart from good luck with the camera etc.

Such a simple error that can cause a massive headache. Exactly the type of thing I'd do, that.

Well done to the usual suspects for the excellent info and help. Great stuff. :thumb:

MisterCorn said:
I believe you are in Sheffield, if you want to have a poke around gearbox insides at any point to see what they are like first hand, Infrasilver and myself are both based near J26 M1 so not far away.

MC

Thanks for the offer, I may do that.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back