Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Help! Replacing coolant return pipe (part 997.106.809.02)

GMG said:
...quite surprised that this issue wasn't picked up by hartech to be honest as this would have been obvious during the rebuild? Perhaps they fitted it?

Oh god, here we go again :roll:

I'm not looking to point the finger, just want the car working again.

So, Should I get the Porsche brand or the Vaico?

portreathbeach said:
I'm not looking to point the finger, just want the car working again.

So, Should I get the Porsche brand or the Vaico?

If it were mine, Porsche.

portreathbeach said:
These look like the right ones.

Would you suggest getting the pipe brackets too? As they are less than £3 each, I would think it's worth changing them too?

What rubber hoses do you think the Porsche garage were going on about.

Brackets won't be needed ..

If pipes have been recently replaced then don't do them again .. no point whatsoever .. just replace the damaged one .

Brake pipes are on inspection .. if no corrosion in the brackets then dont bother ..

AOS depends on year but if it's the central one ( square shaped ) then it can be replaced with the engine in situ so not really needed as a precaution .. only the very early 997 had the AOS the same as the 996 .

starter cable .. inspect and see if heat damaged .

I can't recommend anything other than Porsche items .. but then that's because i know it will fit without any problems :D

Thanks for the reply.

My car is a 2004 Carerra S Tip, so a very early 997.

According to design911, my oil separator is this one (even though I have a very early 997)...

https://www.design911.co.uk/fu/prod125933/Oil-Separator-Porsche-997-38L-C2S---C4S-99710703800/

Is this the one that can be replaced with the engine in situ?

Is there a way to see this item in my car to be sure it's this one?

If so, looks like it's just the damaged pipe that needs replacing. And other bits and pieces to be checked out. I don't really want to spend any more money than I have too, but if the pipe is all that needs changing, then I spose that's all I change

Normally i just have the car in front of me so a simple question like this is easy ..

When at home i struggle ... as far as i know the very early cars had the same AOS as the 996 so that's best done with the engine out.

https://www.design911.co.uk/fu/pt85...-911--2005--08/Oil-Separators-and-Vent-lines/

Upto 2005 and it seems it's the early type .

I would humbly suggest .. just let the garage doing the work order this part .. safest way if you car is a borderline one .

EDIT .. 3.6 Have the early type .. i think the 3.8 have the later type .. either way its best to let the garage sort this item i feel .. or at least advise you if it really needs changing ...

we are after all trying to keep the cost down here so unless its an early type then just leave until you have an issue .. which may well be never with the later type .

The car is back on the road again.

I'm glad I paid to have the engine dropped and the job done properly. At the end of the day, it's only money (quite a bit actually), but I have the piece of mind that it's been done properly.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Autocraft1
Back