Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Reversing Camera install - this may help others

stefant

Trainee
Having installed a double din Kenwood head unit last year I decided to add the backup camera. Not that you really need one in the 996 but my daily driver has a camera and reversing sensors, that you just get used to!

The first camera I ordered was a Kenwood CMOS camera. Even though it was only 24mm by 24mm it seems massive as it stuck out a strange angle when I offered it up - so it went back. I was about to have a change of heart and bin off the idea when I spoke to Chris at reversing camera UK, who told me about this tiny camera he just had in stock. When it arrives it was so small I decided to mount it within one of the letters on the number plate (it is only 12mm wide!

https://www.reversingcamerasuk.com/ultra-small-cmos-bullet-camera.html

I followed the instructions on this site which made it very easy. I won't lie it is a really fiddly job feeding the wires through the bulk head to the back seats and then behind the trip (a long wire coat hanger is your friend here!).

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/1071797-installing-backup-camera.html

Wiring it up was easy as I only needed it to come on when I was in reverse, if you want to be able to select it all the time it is a little more complicated as you need to find a switched power.

Anyway here it is finished (see if you can spot the camera!).

If you have any questions please let me know, it was easier than the original Kenwood install as I have MOST and amplifier so needed to get all sorts of conversion kits, this was just a plug in and play - if you are installing a new head unit do this at the same time, as nothing is more disheartening that having to pull out your head unit after you vowed never to touch it again!!

Attachments

• 57080770461_404feaae_7d3c_475c_af1f_3fe04d97588b_163.jpg
    57080770461_404feaae_7d3c_475c_af1f_3fe04d97588b_163.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 5,191
Awesome job! I've had a camera ready to be fitted for a few months now but couldn't see anywhere to fit it without it seriously detracting from the aesthetics of the cars rear end, your solution is perfect!

Hows the view on screen from the camera in that position?

Loving that, what a good spot for the lense!
Other way I had been toying with was to bypass the wiring kerfuffle by using wireless 12v video transmitter and receiver, they are pretty cheap too.

Read this thread on the train back from town, was sat there wondering about using one of my old sun visors as a test to see if I could replace the vanity mirror with a small screen - if that's doable neatly then it might be a goer, as then it would be almost totally invisible unless in use.

Interesting , its all going to be about finding the correct size screen ..

Ive had a look at some of the bigger ones and they might just about fit but would need to measure the visor , bigger one would be more effective i feel if it will fit ... 7 inch over 4 inch from what ive seen.

The downside to this idea , however you do it there will be some wires coming out of the headlining and then into the sunvisor .. the mounts for the sunvisor couldn,t really be used to hide the wires inside... it will also be a head lineing drop to fit the wires i would think .

Nice idea though .. if it could be made to work then there is a possible market for it !

Only issue with that is you would be flipping down the sunvisor to use it, you might find you can't be bothered most of the time after the novelty wears off.
I think I've seen screens that retrofit over the rear view mirror so they are a regular mirror then come up as picture in picture rear view Cam screen, that might be a fun little project and again using the wireless transmitters you simplify wiring

I was regarding that as a feature, not a bug - I'd anticipate only needing the assistance of the camera every now and again for a very tight space, hence the two steps of flip visor down, flip mirror lid up wouldn't be a huge pain.

Of course, my priority is not to have anything visible - other priorities are available.

Dammit said:
I was regarding that as a feature, not a bug - I'd anticipate only needing the assistance of the camera every now and again for a very tight space, hence the two steps of flip visor down, flip mirror lid up wouldn't be a huge pain.

Of course, my priority is not to have anything visible - other priorities are available.

Hello, all,

First post. Owner of a 2003 SY Turbo x50 RUF 550 conversion.

I was searching for a visor display for a back up camera for similar reasons as Dammit. Nothing. I like the concept but I decided to mock up a used visor from ebay. Here's where I am to date.

Password is '911"

https://vimeo.com/375927195

Photo
The blue is a protective film

Attachments

• f19b2ef1_8078_4900_8652_59950d8e9b22_198.png
    f19b2ef1_8078_4900_8652_59950d8e9b22_198.png
    847.5 KB · Views: 4,138
  • 76f2d572_8275_4244_b93f_487f5d259e7a_215.png
    76f2d572_8275_4244_b93f_487f5d259e7a_215.png
    847.5 KB · Views: 4,138
Did you have to drill out a hole in the rear bumper for the camera?

Nice camera - I am considering the new Kenwood head unit that has Apple Carplay with Wifi - really fancy the dashcam DRV- NR520 - do you have that too? Like the integration with the head unit.

yep had to drill a small hole in the bumper, but it is behind the plate and will never be seen.

the head unit can also accommodate a dash cam

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back