Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Help! Replacing coolant return pipe (part 997.106.809.02)

Well I'm no expert either, but I have seen an expert in action and its quite different to Arc or Mig, heat is more localised with little or no spatter, in the right hands its quite amazing to watch, there is also little or no noise. If a slight hole were made I've seen it built up without too much difficulty. I believe the gas used has to be pure Argon for aluminum. If you can find the right person and access is possible this job should be doable, and save you a tidy sum.

portreathbeach said:
I also contacted RK Engineering and they charge a lot less per hour and could drop the engine and do the work for me. I asked if they had anyone who was good at TIG welding and could possibly get enough space to sort it. They are going to take a look on the 10th December.
:(
If you've got someone in mind to drop the engine; why bother getting it welded? if it were me- i'd swap the pipe.
Bear in mind that coolant pipes may have corroded from the inside. TiG welding anything like this is difficult- especially aluminium which can be notoriously difficult when its aged and oxidised.
I wish you luck- and please keep us posted

Yeah, the guys at RKE really are more than capable of doing the job, they'll look after the car too. They also happen to be pretty much on your doorstep!

Always keen to read up on these threads as others will no doubt agree that if coolant appears in that area then there's a good chance I'll remember this post, I'll certainly remember the cost involved, definately do other items whilst the engine is dropped including the opposite side ? And brake lines as suggested very wisely, the other thing that's stuck out for me is WHY? Was there a Jubilee clip on the other pipe ? I'm no expert on anything mechanical but can't help think a similar 'short term repair" may well have been carried out in the other pipe ?

It seems odd that the knuckle on the clip would be left to rub on the coolant return hose from the factory so presumably some ones been in that area already ?

Just a thought,

Good heads up on the sealant tho Iain, I could use that on various applications,

👍

As I will have to drive the car to the garage to get it repaired, I thought I'd start the car to see just how much coolant leeks out.....The answer....A ***** load. I definitely will not risk driving it to the garage.

I called a friend of mine that has a recovery truck and a garage to see if he could take it there for me. He then said the other owner of their garage has worked on Porsches before and is keen to work on mine, and can come and get it Tuesday next week. I'm going to get the thing done propperly, engine out, both coolant pipes done, brakes lines and anything else that is cheap and easy to do while the engine is out.

I've been thinking about the sealant idea, TIG welding etc, but due to the limited space and the fact it would be on my mind every time I drive the car, replacing the pipe is definitely the best option, maybe not the most cost effective though.

Fingers crossed

brownspeed said:
portreathbeach said:
I also contacted RK Engineering and they charge a lot less per hour and could drop the engine and do the work for me. I asked if they had anyone who was good at TIG welding and could possibly get enough space to sort it. They are going to take a look on the 10th December.
:(
If you've got someone in mind to drop the engine; why bother getting it welded? if it were me- i'd swap the pipe.
Bear in mind that coolant pipes may have corroded from the inside. TiG welding anything like this is difficult- especially aluminium which can be notoriously difficult when its aged and oxidised.
I wish you luck- and please keep us posted

This ^^
It is quite possible to tig weld a patch over the area, all it would need is another pipe section or piece of alloy that was tweaked to make the correct profile; provided they can get enough access to all sides of the patch and also evacuate the coolant that may get drawn towards the heat of the welding.
A simpler alternative would be to jbweld a patch piece on, if done well that could be a permanent fix, until you get the pipe replaced at some point.

portreathbeach said:
I've been thinking about the sealant idea, TIG welding etc, but due to the limited space and the fact it would be on my mind every time I drive the car, replacing the pipe is definitely the best option, maybe not the most cost effective though.

Fingers crossed

Fair play to you Sir .. you have listened to the advise we have all given and made up your mind as to what's best for you ..

Damn good forum this is !

I'm a bit confused.

My mate has asked if I can supply the parts needed when the engine is removed. As the pipe that is damaged has the part number on it, that one is easy, I searched design911 and found that pipe and also the one for the other side, but I don't know what the part numbers are for the other pipes that the Porsche garage recommended changing are.

They also quoted for...

Water hose (supply) £36.92
Water hose (return) £59.95

At least I have a rough guide price, but they are not on the diagram I am looking at..

https://www.design911.co.uk/pages/diagramsBrowser.aspx?categoryID=1&diagramID=3388

Any help would be great

These look like the right ones.

Would you suggest getting the pipe brackets too? As they are less than £3 each, I would think it's worth changing them too?

What rubber hoses do you think the Porsche garage were going on about.

...if it were me I would be changing a few things whilst the engine is out:

AOS
Grind off /remove and replace all of the exhaust nuts/bolts and fasteners for SS
Plugs and check/change coil packs
Check coolant reservoir and change if necessary
LTT
New pipe clamps
Check water pump bearings
Air con piping
Check RMS/IMS SEAL and bearing play
Gearbox mount

Basically anything that requires an engine drop to do or will be really easy like the plugs and packs with the engine out..the last thing you want is to have to drop the engine again for something silly like the £70 AOS !

You have definitely made the right choice...I wouldn't bodge a repair with something like this engines coolant as they don't need an excuse to ***** themselves :D

Plugs etc. are OK, it had a service a month ago.

I have a receipt for an engine rebuild by Hartech from May 2017. They installed a LTT then, so I guess I don't need that. They also replaced both metal coolant pipes, and all rubber hoses, so am I right to say that I can just replace the one that is damaged as the other one surely should be fine as it's only 2 1/2 years old?

As for Oil Air Separator, which part is this. There are a couple of different ones on design911, they are both called oil separators, which one is the suggested one to change?

There are 3 different ones here...

https://www.design911.co.uk/fu/cma8.../997-MKI--911--2005--08/997-Carrera-S-2005--/

Well, 2 of them are the same, but one is Porsche and the other is Vaico.

Thanks again for the help

...quite surprised that this issue wasn't picked up by hartech to be honest as this would have been obvious during the rebuild? Perhaps they fitted it?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gpc
Back